Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, he did well enough as old Han and Deckard, neither of which required major stuntwork or hand to hand fighting even in the earlier films but Indy has always been about running, jumping, punching and the like.

For decades I've felt that the gold standard for an aging actor returning to his roots was Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven and yet he was still only *62* in that film, not 78!
Yeah but he was 87 when he made"The Mule".
-Jim G.G.

I can't think of an actor who returned in aged form to a very familiar character they played in their youth and made it work just as well.

Unforgiven doesn't count as it wasn't a returning character. Maybe Sellers Clouseau is the only one, but that was only like 10-12 years between. Ford is literally 40 years - 1981 - 2021.

I can't think of an actor who returned in aged form to a very familiar character they played in their youth and made it work just as well.

Unforgiven doesn't count as it wasn't a returning character. Maybe Sellers Clouseau is the only one, but that was only like 10-12 years between.
Sean Connery did in "Never Say Never Again".
-Jim G.G.

I know there should be "action" in action movies Shia Lebeouf tried and failed miserably. Just give this movie a chance and we'll see what happens.
Oke doke?
-Jim G.G.

Unforgiven doesn't count as it wasn't a returning character. Maybe Sellers Clouseau is the only one, but that was only like 10-12 years between. Ford is literally 40 years - 1981 - 2021.
Stallone in his 60s in Rocky 6 and Rambo 4 after 20 years. Same year Indy 4 came out.

Bill Hunt says that Indy 1-3 were basically "Despecialized Editions" for the 4K release, meaning they actually did recomposite the opticals for the first three films to make them integrate more seamlessly with on-location footage and to remove all matte lines. I'm actually totally fine with those types of "enhancements" and wish that that's all George ever did to the OT.

Everything for Raiders/Temple/Crusade is native 4K.

KOTCS looks the worst because so much of it is upscaled 2K CGI, lol.
Yes basic clean up is fine. Doesn't mess with the story by tinkering or trying to add stuff to it. Raiders is my favorite movie of all time so I can't wait to receive my order next week. I love the way the movie was shot and the way everything was paced. That is Indy for me. Raider's Indy is my ultimate hero and really would have been fine with just the one movie. It was lightning in a bottle.

I think Stallone was respectable for all of his returns to Rocky and Rambo, meaning that he didn't embarrass himself with any of the performances. As for the films themselves the only one I actively disliked was this most recent Rambo. I quite enjoyed Rocky 6 and the two Creed movies.

Ford was good in BR 2049 and TFA/TROS and I suppose was pretty decent in KOTCS, it's just hard to separate his performance from all the other issues that movie had.

Yeah, he did well enough as old Han and Deckard, neither of which required major stuntwork or hand to hand fighting
decker.jpg

Old Ford as mentor, fine. That's what he should be playing.

Old Ford as Indy. Nope. Hang up the hat, recast.

I would much prefer bad recast to bad AND old Ford. I can ignore the recast if need be. I can't ignore Ford ruining his best character.

Touché. Though I was more referring to what Han and Deckard were known for in their prime, and punching people wasn't one of them. I did forget about his brawl with Gosling-though for his part Ford held his own well enough for what the scene called for.

At the end of the day, Bond and Indy are superheroes. More realistic, no capes, but superheroes... and they should be forever locked into that superhero mythic age of 32-38. That's not to say that an older actor can't play that age or so. But once he gets into his 50's its time to recast.

Ford as Indy at this age is as silly as Roger Moore was in his last few Bond outings (and Moore was younger).

Can't wait to see him in action! :whipAnd by action, I mean walking, slowly, very very slowly. :woo
He seems to have ricketts or something, he has those bow legged legs of a very old man....
I can't. Indiana Jones is one of my treasured action heroes and I am mad at Harrison Ford for forcing this movie.
Yeah, Indy is a action hero, I am sorry, no way it’s gonna be plausible to see this old man fight, swing and run around. It’s already a failure.

As far as the de aging goes, They better get the youtube guys to do it , because each instance of Disney’s de aging was terrible compared to the random Internet persons version....

Back