Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They killed Logan, Luke, Leia, Bond and Han. No one is safe.

But this is Disney. And Luke and Leia never die, they just move on -- we learned that in Star Wars (aka ANH).

Ford got his Solo killed, that's all he ever wanted. He never wanted Indy to die. I doubt he'd want that kind of ending in an Indy movie.

The choice to kill Bond off recently was a real head-scratchier. A bad choice. A bad movie. And pointless, as they've been talking actor replacement even before release of NTTD.

Maybe Indy will die in an alternate timeline... but never in the end.

Disclosing how the movie ends, happy OR sad, is indeed a spoiler and shouldn't be posted without spoiler tags.

Personally I don't give a **** cause I won't pay to see this trainwreck, but some people might care.

Although the argument could also be made that if you don't want things spoiled, don't open a thread about a movie that just premiered and has people talking about the details now.

43% on RT so far :lol
Only 14 reviews so far but that’s interesting.

I saw some other reviews complaining about nitpicks such as cgi and Indy doing other adventurey things. As far as I know, it doesn’t ring that bad to me.
Hell, I saw some reviews ripping this movie as well as temple of doom!

Then cuts to

“Mutt Williams will return”

With the Disney plus logo playing right after
Considering we have this Indiana Jones "baggage" from this last gasp, I still think it would have been preferable to leave well enough alone with Last Crusade. More doesn't equal better.

They always say that, especially to build confidence with the audience for a movie they know is not good.

"Yeah, we're so excited we're already talking about the sequel."

"We're giving the filmmaker a trilogy."

"We couldn't be happier with the way this turned out."

And who exactly would they follow in these "extensions"? Every character they've clung to with the exception of Mutt and now Helena is as old or older than Indy. And I doubt the audience will embrace Helena any more than they did Mutt.

No... if Disney wants more Indy, then they need desperately to recast and go back to the 30's-40's -- a period that is just asking for trouble in these times of revisionist history and fears of cultural appropriation.

They always say that, especially to build confidence with the audience for a movie they know is not good.

"Yeah, we're so excited we're already talking about the sequel."

"We're giving the filmmaker a trilogy."

"We couldn't be happier with the way this turned out."
The Rian Johnson Maneuver ... Get ahead of it, Glorify it, Avoid it, Retcon/Undo it ... Get Kathleen Kennedy more blazers to wear over her IP graphic tees.

I want a trilogy based on the Raiders Monkey Guy.
1684512737376.png

No... if Disney wants more Indy, then they need desperately to recast and go back to the 30's-40's -- a period that is just asking for trouble in these times of revisionist history and fears of cultural appropriation.

They'd upset all the neo-Nazis, portraying them as the bad guys. Either that or it would be labelled as having a "woke, political agenda" because of the 'Far-Right bad' theme.

A lot of people finally noticed that move with Rian, but its been going on for a very long time, well before him.
It was certainly the most dramatic example, recently. What others were you thinking of? Just curious.

It was certainly the most dramatic example, recently. What others were you thinking of? Just curious.

OMG, there's been so many over the years... not necessarily the "trilogy" bit, but the promise of "so much more" coming. But of course now I can't think of a really good one. I think the first time I really noticed it was the talk after 'Never Say Never Again' that there would be another Connery Bond movie coming. Or more "Remo Williams" adventures if you go back that far. "King Kong 2" was dangled in 1976. "Buckaroo Banzai" promised more adventures but that was more a title card promise than actual verbal promotion from the producers. "Rocketeer" is another one -- I know a lot of people liked that movie but it was only mediocre if you were older than 12 at the time. Arnold was a very famous shiller for even his bad movies, and often said he was going to do more. Stallone too. Cobra sequel to Commando sequel had been promised. And of course, almost every rotten sequel you've ever seen -- from Alien/Predator/Terminator to Romancing the Stone sequel to Speed sequels to Mask sequels -- on and on -- has been promoted that more would follow.

Last edited:
It's starting to sound like Mangold wasn't a good choice for this after all. He's made some really great movies, but swashbuckling adventure is a different kind of thing that not everyone can pull off.

But I guess one consolation is we're already used to having bad Indy movies by this point, so it won't be as much of a shock to the system as Indy 4 was.

Last edited:
Back