Hot Toys Superman (1978 film version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hot Toys Superman

The message and theme of the Superman character is not about the state of the world we live in nor the perception of society. Superman is nothing more than a friend- an innocent among cynics.
The reason the Donner film endures is that yes, there is a direct parallel between Kal-El and Jesus and yes, to all intents and purposes he is an earthbound god, but the man himself never acknowledges this. Indeed, the late Tom Mankiewicz in his writing was very conscious not to politicise him in any way. No end to famine, no interference in human history. When he does out of impudence, he pays the price. Even in Superman IV he admits trying to give the gift of world peace is not his to give.
To speculate about real world reaction to attempt to rationalise an alien being Earth's saviour is to miss the point.

70 years ago when Superman was created they never would have told a story like that. Not to mention by most accounts Siegal and Shuster were both observant of their Jewish faith. Comics simply weren't ready for adult storytelling like that.

You might read Alan Moore's Marvel Man (published in the US as Miracleman). Marvel Comics has recently acquired the character and will soon reprint Alan Moore/Neil Gaiman issues. They've been reprinting some of the Mick Anglo stuff which is very lighthearted and campy, but that will change. Moore and later Gaiman wrote the very thing your describe. I'd rather not spoil you if you haven't read it. Just trust me and add it to your pull bag at your favorite comic store.

Cool, will look Miracleman/Marvel Man!

As for the original concept of Superman by Siegel and Shuster, of course I wouldn't expect them to have raised those questions back then, but maybe nowadays it would be interesting to see that angle explored.

Any Superman story arc or TPB you guys would recommend?

Late to the conversation, but Routh was not the problem with SR. I actually really liked him as Superman/Clark Kent but he was doomed by a bad script.

Late to the conversation, but Routh was not the problem with SR. I actually really liked him as Superman/Clark Kent but he was doomed by a bad script.

Agreed.
I was sorry to hear they killed that one so fast. They should've given Singer and Routh the chance to make another film and see where they could take it.

Probably he already started the head, if it is winter we wont see a thing until the 23rd of December right??:panic:

In anticipation of the CR Superman figure, I grabbed this HT Jor-El figure that had been sitting at a nearby LCS for years. It's still a really good figure, but you can clearly see Hot Toys has really improved the quality of their sculpts over the last few years in comparison.

jorel2.jpg
jorel4.jpg

It will make a great companion piece when Superman finally hits my shelf! :yess:

To further derail this thread, I've never been a big fan of Superman, and I think it's because not only is Superman unbelievable (which is fine, we're talking comics here), but the entire way the character is written seems unbelievable to me.

To me, Superman is basically a God, and it baffles me that that aspect is never touched upon. I mean, the dude is an alien who can do whatever he wants with his Superpowers, yet everybody on earth seems to accept him as if everything was cool.

If Superman existed, the Church of Superman would appear the very next day; Catholicism, Islam and Judaism would have their foundations rocked to the core; the balance of power between the (ex) super powers would be broken; political institutions and parties would lose all support... and that would just be the beginning.
I feel the character has always been written somewhat naively and that bothers me. The closest I've seen to an interesting, "realistic" portrayal of Superman was in Miller's The Dark Knight Returns.

So I guess I kinda miss a more adult/intelligent writing of the character.

Of course, not being a big fan, I haven't read much comics featuring Superman, so maybe I've missed all the good stuff.

Sorry for the derailment!

May i suggest you Read Superman: Red Son

As well as the Lex Luther miniseries if you would like a superman story along those lines.

In anticipation of the CR Superman figure, I grabbed this HT Jor-El figure that had been sitting at a nearby LCS for years. It's still a really good figure, but you can clearly see Hot Toys has really improved the quality of their sculpts over the last few years in comparison.

It will make a great companion piece when Superman finally hits my shelf! :yess:

HT Jor-el is awesome. How much did you get it for? Do they have anymore?

HT Jor-el is awesome. How much did you get it for? Do they have anymore?

Paid $175 for it...it was the only one they had...it's been sitting in the bottom of a glass display shelf for probably almost 3 years now.

I did see one on eBay for $199 BIN plus $35 shipping from overseas.

Better get Jor-el while you can, once Reeve Superman comes out he will be impossible to find cheap.

Better get Jor-el while you can, once Reeve Superman comes out he will be impossible to find cheap.

Too late. Been high for a while now, but yeah gonna get worse.

I hope they make a black one though. I would think HT would capitalize on this though and make another or a Lex/Zod something or rather.

im a bit late on few recent things discussed here, but I loooved Routh as Superman and Spacey as Lex. they should've been in their own story though, not something that as singer said and obviously did, a movie that follows superman II as if superman 3 and 4 never happened.

i also liked the suit, except for the way the chest emblem was and the 's' on the belt. loved the long cape and the crew neck styled new suit and the way the undies didin't look like a tighty whities style.

I'd like to see an origin movie based off the way the series Superman: Birthright was done. loved that series along with Red Sun, Superman All Star and Superman for all seasons.

as for the topic at hand, even though it would be cool to have another Jor El, if I had to choose one other figure to be made, it would be Lex. I'd just buy the Matty Zod if HT doesn't make one and repaint and resculpt him :)

Ohh man !
so pumped to see the preview pics.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/prTFftMdubA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/prTFftMdubA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

So I guess this thread will just meander along until we see the product specs sometime in December :lol

BTW, got a great laugh out of someone comparing this release to the DX Joker :lol Ledger Joker fanboyism really knows no bounds.

There's probably as many Joker name variants on the board now than Darth :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back