Hot Toys - Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 1/6th scale Captain Rex Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I was aware of the melding lines. I've written here. I have also written to HT. But you know, one customer can't change anything. Thanks to the community that sees these as nitpicking and then complain when the actual figure is produced. This is the way.

I appreciate the answer, truly. I scoured the thread but felt that no one really posted a definitive "here's what's inaccurate" with it. But the left one is the one to go, I see. Thanks! :)

The picture on the left is a fan model for a Battlefront 2 mod by Orthohex. It’s good but not canon and not 100% accurate.

But Chris is correct that Hot Toys made their own interpretation of Rex’s helmet instead of doing an actual realistic Phase 1 and 2 merge.

The visor is a weird shape, but I believe it’s because they used the animated style helmet’s visor as reference instead of a realistic Phase 1 helmet. It matches this promo shot from the show which Hot Toys tried to replicate.

8AF1A102-1DD7-4FA0-8CB0-0C88FB341542.jpeg

Which looks especially jarring because the rest of the helmet is mostly realistic. Overall they’ve been doing a somewhat odd part animated and part realistic approach for their Clones.

It’s not a deal breaker and the figures are still fantastic, but there are little details that are off. It’s the little details that many of us Star Wars fans really like to nitpick but I just try not to think about it. :lol

The picture on the left is a fan model for a Battlefront 2 mod by Orthohex. It’s good but not canon and not 100% accurate.

But Chris is correct that Hot Toys made their own interpretation of Rex’s helmet instead of doing an actual realistic Phase 1 and 2 merge.

The visor is a weird shape, but I believe it’s because they used the animated style helmet’s visor as reference instead of a realistic Phase 1 helmet. It matches this promo shot from the show which Hot Toys tried to replicate.

View attachment 624794

Which looks especially jarring because the rest of the helmet is mostly realistic. Overall they’ve been doing a somewhat odd part animated and part realistic approach for their Clones.

It’s not a deal breaker and the figures are still fantastic, but there are little details that are off. It’s the little details that many of us Star Wars fans really like to nitpick but I just try not to think about it. :lol
Nah I feel that, I don't wanna gloss over inaccuracies because for my own sake, I just would not be able to let things go. Thanks for clearing up the thing about the visor. Interesting that they just blended many things from animated and realistic together. I might get a realistic Kama if I get Rex, but I'm perfectly good with the helmet as is.

Nah I feel that, I don't wanna gloss over inaccuracies because for my own sake, I just would not be able to let things go. Thanks for clearing up the thing about the visor. Interesting that they just blended many things from animated and realistic together. I might get a realistic Kama if I get Rex, but I'm perfectly good with the helmet as is.

No problem. Yeah it is interesting and a bit odd, but I don't think it takes away from the figure.

The kama doesn't bother me since it could just as easily be a variant without the buckle and straps. But it is amusing Hot Toys went the extra mile to include those on Appo.

At the end of the day, I'm okay with the figures not being 100% accurate otherwise I'd go (more) insane. I have lineage replicas to chase that ultimate screen accuracy.

At the end of the day, I'm okay with the figures not being 100% accurate otherwise I'd go (more) insane. I have lineage replicas to chase that ultimate screen accuracy.
That's how I feel.

There's not a single person in my life who would come over and analyze my collect for screen accuracy. They'd admire the figures for their artistic qualities, appreciate the attention to detail and craftsmanship, people tell a few people about it, and that's it. No one is looking to see if someone's forehead is perfectly sculpted, or if their helmet is a perfect replica. No one.

As for me, I don't care to be that picky. If something is blatantly wrong, like they messed up the color of a character's hair or left out pieces of armor, then yeah I'll be annoyed, but that's glaring. If a piece of armor is slightly too big, I don't think twice about it.

If there are people who want to nitpick like that, all the power to them, but for me, I'll just watch the movie/show if I want screen accuracy.

Curious since everyone is using the cape cod clothes to clean the weathering off the chrome mando, has anyone tried them on removing the green weathering off of Rex?

Curious since everyone is using the cape cod clothes to clean the weathering off the chrome mando, has anyone tried them on removing the green weathering off of Rex?

I want to say someone here tried to remove the green tint a while back and it came off with just isopropyl alcohol. You’d have to be careful not to take off paint you don’t want to.

I plan on trying that with one of the extra Rexs I picked up if you want to wait for someone else to confirm. I don’t mind. I don’t know when I’ll be able to do it though.

Didn’t have a chance ti open this guy up until this weekend. Unboxing was a bit underwhelming as the back of the art box had a giant gash in it but thankfully I was about to fix it well enough. the shipper was trashed though.

Figure itself is really quite nice. The amount of detail and texture on the Temuera Morrison sculpt is incredible. I actually got the Mando Boba sculpt in around the same time and I’m thoroughly impressed with how good both sculpts are in likeness. They really seem to have him down pat. Haven’t had a chance to properly set him up yet, but I’m definitely going to have to at least hunt down a Commander Cody. Heavily considering Jesse also.

Last edited:

View attachment 624794

I’m no helmet expert but isn’t that the Phase 2 helmet on the left? The phase 1 had a larger fin on top and different cutouts on the cheek areas didn’t it?

First two pics are phase 1 and the third phase 2.

Attachments

• IMG_2995.jpeg
    IMG_2995.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2993.jpeg
    IMG_2993.jpeg
    21.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2994.jpeg
    IMG_2994.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 0
I’m no helmet expert but isn’t that the Phase 2 helmet on the left? The phase 1 had a larger fin on top and different cutouts on the cheek areas didn’t it?

First two pics are phase 1 and the third phase 2.

They’re both the same helmet in the comparison I posted. Left is Rex’s helmet from later seasons of the show and right is the Hot Toys interpretation of it.

Rex does start off with a Phase 1 helmet as in your first two pics but does not switch to a typical Phase 2 with everyone else.

He cuts out part of the Phase 1 helmet and welds it on to a Phase 2 to make something unique. So none of these is a standard Phase 2. This is the Phase 2 from TCW.

2F746740-7C9D-4951-AFC3-F81C5D2B3815.jpeg
B82036C2-EF6F-4B46-88B1-7F7EAA0AC554.jpeg

Last edited:
Ah. I gotcha. I was referring to Rex’s phase 2 not the typical phase 2 helmet. I do remember that he modded his phase 1 to look a bit more like the typical phase 2 and that it was different. I see what you were saying now. I was just pointing out that his first helmet is a phase 1 and that his modded helmet is his phase 2. It’s all a bit confusing.

So, I swapped the plain black neck piece Rex came with to the painted textured neck from Jesse. While the effect is nice, good gravy was it super hard to get the Jesse neck piece through the tight collar to then attach back to the body. Maybe mine was just sewn too tightly and others who attempt it will fare differently. Also, unlike with Cody, you WILL need to swap the short ball joint that comes with the Jesse neck piece with the the longer one from Rex's plain black neck piece.

I would say it's worth it for aesthetic reasons as it does look pretty cool. But, if you really don't care about the body suit collar going into the headsculpt when displaying the unhemleted head, then the juice probably isn't worth the squeeze on this.

Back