Hot Toys - Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 1/6th scale Captain Rex Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Helmet and pauldron shape are completely off.

View attachment 581143View attachment 581144

I feel like this made it no clearer lol

Helmet looks about same to me, the pauldron is the same in the first pic you posted, but you want a Bly style pauldron instead?

If I'm understanding this correctly these sound more like preferences rather than inaccuracies

I feel like this made it no clearer lol

Helmet looks about same to me, the pauldron is the same in the first pic you posted, but you want a Bly style pauldron instead?

If I'm understanding this correctly these sound more like preferences rather than inaccuracies
It's not a preference, it's genuinely inaccurate.

Hot Toys made their own interpretation of a Phase 1 & 2 helmet combination, it's not accurate to what a realistic version of that would look like. They've also given him the animated style pauldron instead of the realistic version that we've already seen in live action.

1654337241528.png

The HT one in comparison looks like the old Hasbro clone helmets.

1654337275706.png

This just looks so much better and more accurate:

1654337350924.png

View attachment 581148

The image above just looks like a helmet design that leans heavily into the animated aspect to me. Very long mouth area. Where as the pauldron is leaned toward realistic being simply Bly's pauldron in Rex colors.

I kinda prefer the way hot toys leaned the helmet realistic, but kept the animated pauldron shape.

Honestly, seems like preference to me still, but different strokes. Thanks for the answer.

The image above just looks like a helmet design that leans heavily into the animated aspect to me. Very long mouth area. Where as the pauldron is leaned toward realistic being simply Bly's pauldron in Rex colors.

I kinda prefer the way hot toys leaned the helmet realistic, but kept the animated pauldron shape.

Honestly, seems like preference to me still, but different strokes. Thanks for the answer.
I loved him when I first got him but now he just looks weird to me. Even Sideshow got the translation of the helmet more accurate even though it's showing it's age now. The Black Series figures also do a good job at translating the helmet.

Hot Toys just have a bad track record with helmets in general imo.

1654339434386.png
1654339484975.png

I think the HT helmet suits live action more. Look at the chin cheek region in the phase I section. It looks accurate to phase I. The same part in other brands are rounded. Phase I is not.

I think the HT helmet suits live action more. Look at the chin cheek region in the phase I section. It looks accurate to phase I. The same part in other brands are rounded. Phase I is not.
It’s the visor that throws it off the most for me, it’s too thick, should be way thinner.

Oh that’s what you meant by inaccurate pauldron.

You bring up good points about the helmet and pauldron and it’s your preference so I’m not disagreeing with you per se. But I view only the Phase 1 Rex type pauldron as the animated version of the live action Phase 2 Bly type pauldron. Especially since it was used for realistic depictions of Phase 1 Rex.

5CB530D9-7090-4AF3-B37E-3073BA875AE7.jpeg
1F4B2CFD-37F9-450F-ABF1-94E28087059A.jpeg

But the Phase 2 Rex pauldron is very different from the Phase 1 so I just accepted the Phase 2 Rex type pauldron was unique without a live action counterpart. It’s kind of muddled by Phase 2 Bly’s brief appearance in TCW Season 7, but that felt more like not wanting to model his actual pauldron for a 2 second scene.

It feels too different to me to be the same. Again, just my 2¢. If you like the live action pauldron on the Phase 2 Rex, totally understandable. I didn’t like the animated Phase 2 Rex pauldron at first but it grew on me.

I’m happy with the figure as is overall, some issues aside. It is kind of at a weird halfway point between live action and animated though, like some choices with the 501st and Coruscant Guard. I wish Hot Toys would just commit to as live action as possible.

81206E38-917C-447F-813F-8BF07BB479B1.jpeg

Last edited:
Congrats! Are your other figures also Clone Wars related?

June 9th at 11:59PM is the current expiration date for the SWC10/15/20 codes.
Yeah, I noticed shortly after posting that the codes were once again being advertised on the product pages, I'm thinking that they maybe just didn't load on my phone that day for whatever reason.

I don't have any other Clone Wars related 1/6th even though it's my favourite part of the Star Wars franchise. I have the Beskar Mando and Grogu, Mythos Obi-Wan, and Infinity War Doctor Strange. And the 2022 The Batman on pre-order.

My Captain finally showed up! Here are a couple test shots. Haven't had time to really dig in and give him some awesome poses/pics yet. Took Sideshow 12 days and two chats with customer service to ship it, and I finally received it today, so 14 days total. Won't be ordering from them again but the product is fantastic.

Attachments

• IMG_8096.jpg
    IMG_8096.jpg
    633 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8090.jpg
    IMG_8090.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8071.jpg
    IMG_8071.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8069.jpg
    IMG_8069.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8057.jpg
    IMG_8057.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 0
I hate you guys haha I did not even noticed until I read it here XD But yeah, the helmet is off, it's just a phase II welding marks is not using the phase I "middle part".
As you can see It should be like the ones marked in blue, that being said the ones in red are the old Sideshow one and a Gentle Giant statue (and also HT's design). Anybody knows from where that design is? I havent see it anywhere but in these figures... Even the Funko Pop is using that "inaccurate" version hahah

Attachments

• 396438-asdsa.jpg
    396438-asdsa.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 396442-Capture.jpg
    396442-Capture.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 0
I looked at the pictures, couldn't get the point where blue and red areas differ.

I edited the images above, so hopefully it's clearer now.
Essencially the right side it has that 3 vertical stripes and at the end of them a circle (where you put the flashlight). It's easier if you have a 501st clone DX to check it... the phase I helmet, it should be exactly as the middle part of Rex's (cuz as you know Rex's is a phase I with the top and mouth piece of a phase II), but is clearly not the case here.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-07-12 at 8.31.06 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-12 at 8.31.06 AM.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-07-12 at 8.31.08 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-12 at 8.31.08 AM.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aha, I see now. HT didn't put all the welding marks also. When these are mentioned in the proto pictures, people say nah, it's fine, stop nitpicking. Then once the figure is released, they began to complain.
HT is deaf to consumers, but backlashing at proto stage still might change something. Worst is when the proto is correct, but the final product isn't (ie, Ahsoka's lekku length).

Hot Toys made their own interpretation of a Phase 1 & 2 helmet combination, it's not accurate to what a realistic version of that would look like. They've also given him the animated style pauldron instead of the realistic version that we've already seen in live action.

View attachment 581146

The HT one in comparison looks like the old Hasbro clone helmets.

View attachment 581147

View attachment 581148
Absolutely correct about the helmet inaccuracies.

Even the headsculpt includes strange choices. His hairline is demonstrably identical to Cody's in TCW (just with a different haircut) and yet they decided for this figure that Rex should be balding, apparently confusing his buzz cut for recession.
0zxVD33.gif

jdblp15l.jpg

But since we do know that Rex eventually goes bald we just have to imagine that this is Rex at some point post-clone wars. :ROFLMAO:

A more realistic Rex headsculpt would probably look something like this:
ibK4527.jpg

I hate you guys haha I did not even noticed until I read it here XD But yeah, the helmet is off, it's just a phase II welding marks is not using the phase I "middle part".
As you can see It should be like the ones marked in blue, that being said the ones in red are the old Sideshow one and a Gentle Giant statue (and also HT's design). Anybody knows from where that design is? I havent see it anywhere but in these figures... Even the Funko Pop is using that "inaccurate" version hahah
I edited the images above, so hopefully it's clearer now.
Essencially the right side it has that 3 vertical stripes and at the end of them a circle (where you put the flashlight). It's easier if you have a 501st clone DX to check it... the phase I helmet, it should be exactly as the middle part of Rex's (cuz as you know Rex's is a phase I with the top and mouth piece of a phase II), but is clearly not the case here.

Okay, let's talk ears (which is the word you're looking for). This topic is made especially complicated by the differences in animated and realistic Clone helmets and how they're interpreted by companies making merchandise based on them.

Clone-Trooper-Variants-2-1024x576.png

The difference in ears comes down to realistic or animated as seen in this comparison from Imperial Surplus.

The pictures you circled in blue are animated versions. The pictures you circled in red are intended to be realistic interpretations. The realistic Phase 2 Clone helmet has the lines sculpted into the ears.

Phase 2 Rex in the show has Phase 2 ears. So having realistic Phase 2 ears makes sense. His Phase 2 helmet in general is more of a Phase 2 Clone helmet with the Phase 1 visor welded on. Which is not necessarily consistent with all the weld lines but it is what it is.

I will say the Hot Toys ear caps are a little oversized on their Phase 2 helmet, but that's likely just a side effect of the swap out feature to accommodate the various accessories.

I'll just leave it at that without getting into the rest of the realistic vs animated debate like with the chest armor, kama, or pauldron. I feel like it's one of those things where it's best not to think about it too hard. :lol

Rex P1.png
Rex P2.jpg

*looks over at Rex figure* Don't worry boo, I loves you just the way you is.

With that said, these pauldrons in general are super confusing. Some swoop, some don't swoop. Some are square-edged, some rounded. Some ppl of appropriate rank dont even wear them, we have Commanders wearing ARC pauldrons and its confusing as hell. No wonder HT does whatever they want, they're thinking no one will notice.

Back