1/6 Hot Toys - MMS365 - Captain America: Civil War - Black Widow Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a young man - or a man at all - but I too disliked Widow's "romance" in AoU. It all seemed out of character. The Russo's just get her more, I think. That being said, I definitely wouldn't hate seeing Bucky as a supporting character in a Black Widow movie now that Clint is off the market :wink1: :lol

:goodpost::exactly:

All aboard the WinterWidow train! :rotfl I know Seb would be down for it.

Interesting points: I didn't really see it as a huge issue, or perhaps better put: I didn't find the concept of BW and Banner THAT unbelievable.

Avengers 1: She's sent to India to bring in Banner. That's a say Shield / mission business to one side, 15 hours on a plane to maybe chat and kill the time.

"So...... You're the Hulk". :lol

Age of Ultron: The whole team have been taking down one Hydra strong hold after another, thus implying again the to were conceivably 'close', not to mention out of hours where (as shown in AoU) the team, or sections of the team hung out.

She's an ex KGB elite female sleeper agent, whom defects to join Shield, which in turn collapses and she ends up a free agent aligned to Tony and co, involved in training and in the field New Avengers ops:
- Is it a bit soppy? Perhaps Joss Whedon's approach was a tad OTT, however having Widow form a non agenda based relationship with a person she has presumably spent a LOT of time with is not completely outside the realms of possibility.

I genuinely think the Banner-Widow relationship in AoU was simply just there to give some added emotional weight for when he disappeared at the end. As LexiKon mentioned earlier, someone needed to care and be emotionally affected by it.

I think it was there also just to add gravity on showing just how much Banner considered himself a monster and a threat to society, based on the not ever being able to have a committed relationship or children one day, etc.

Widow probably just seemed like the easiest candidate to put him in a relationship with.

yes it was very contrived and that's why it was crap. this is why many of these superhero relationships are terrible. Nothing organic.

She was shot in the lower torso during a mission years ago (the "no bikinis" scene) but she was also shot in the shoulder during a fight scene in TWS. And yeah, I just rewatched TWS yesterday and she seemed in pretty bad shape from that.

I thought that her relationship with Banner actually made her a weaker character. What I mean by that is she is usually a strong female hero, and the only female Avenger at that point, but the fling with Banner made her vulnerable and more human. The more I think about it, the more the relationship seems like a plot device. It doesn't bother me that it's there, but I could have done without it. I'm not a Hulk/Banner fan to begin with, and I was a little disappointed they totally dropped her thing with Cap from WS.

I didn't really see the problem with BrucexNat? I do NOT ship it, but I much rather prefer "let's run with it" widow over "love is for children" widow. Makes the character more relatable imo. I don't really think it makes Nat weaker, love doesn't mean she can't be a badass.

She was shot in the lower torso during a mission years ago (the "no bikinis" scene) but she was also shot in the shoulder during a fight scene in TWS. And yeah, I just rewatched TWS yesterday and she seemed in pretty bad shape from that.

She recovered pretty quick from that, kicking ass a little while later. She also got over whatever electric shock that was used on the rest of the council fast too. I still think the Russo's are leaning a bit toward the comic version of Black Widow.

She recovered pretty quick from that, kicking ass a little while later. She also got over whatever electric shock that was used on the rest of the council fast too. I still think the Russo's are leaning a bit toward the comic version of Black Widow.

Pierce didn't use the name badge thing to kill Widow because he was going to use her as a pilot to escape. She shocked herself with her own "widow's bite" to avoid the same fate as the council.

I thought that her relationship with Banner actually made her a weaker character. What I mean by that is she is usually a strong female hero, and the only female Avenger at that point, but the fling with Banner made her vulnerable and more human. The more I think about it, the more the relationship seems like a plot device. It doesn't bother me that it's there, but I could have done without it. I'm not a Hulk/Banner fan to begin with, and I was a little disappointed they totally dropped her thing with Cap from WS.

I'm curious as to why you thought she had a "thing" with Cap in TWS? I thought she came across more as a mentor/tutor for Steve than a love interest there; the kiss was just an incidental distraction tactic and their little talk at Sam's was just an exchange among friends; she was opening up, but not romantically. As for the Bruce/Nat relationship, I do personally ship them and I would love to see the MCU to explore that relationship further (they have a lot in common), but the way Natasha was portrayed in AOU in order to get that relationship running was trash, frankly. She was like a lovestruck schoolgirl. So in that regard, like you, I wished she was at least conveyed as a little less "open" and "vulnerable". She would have seemed far less weak in that regard.

I also don't think BW was quite considered a love interest of Cap in TWS. Sure she was coquettish, but I think she was doing it more as friends just to loosen Cap up a bit and educate him on modern day flirting. Basically trying to pick him out a girlfriend and using herself as "practice" for him.

I think that's why in AoU, Cap told Banner, "I've seen her flirt, up close. This ain't that." He knew she wasn't a genuine romantic interest for him from the start.

Pierce didn't use the name badge thing to kill Widow because he was going to use her as a pilot to escape. She shocked herself with her own "widow's bite" to avoid the same fate as the council.

:exactly:

It didn't bother me any, I think it worked quite well actually. They both make each other vulnerable. She is afraid of Hulk, but at the same time she really empathizes with Bruce and everything he has gone through. Their abilities to many are their greatest attributes but they both lost a lot to get them. Neither one wanted the life they have.

Back