1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the Richard Chamberlain/John Blackthorne look is gone so a big step forward there. Looks a lot better to me now. Warming up to this one quite a bit..

Now if only Han and Chewie could get the same treament.

Don't confuse photorealism with likeness. This is clearly the more realistic sculpt - but in my mind, Trevor's (repainted) sculpt captures Sir Alec as Obi Wan to greater effect. Like so many HT sculpts this looks like it was sculpted by someone who's seen a bunch of reference images but has no real appreciation of the character.
Well put, and I agree with every word. The SS sculpt offers a very concerned expression, as if the full weight of the Imperial threat is in the forefront of Ben's mind. It also does look more like Alec/Obiwan than the HT.
Furthermore, the 'old man hands' were done (I believe) because from the viewpoint of a young HT sculptor, Alec was elderly and therefor must have old-looking hands, right? Wrong. Check the photo. It's all about research, observation and sensitivity (empathy) for the character.
seven_kenobi_01.jpg

Well put, and I agree with every word. The SS sculpt offers a very concerned expression, as if the full weight of the Imperial threat is in the forefront of Ben's mind. It also does look more like Alec/Obiwan than the HT.
Furthermore, the 'old man hands' were done (I believe) because from the viewpoint of a young HT sculptor, Alec was elderly and therefor must have old-looking hands, right? Wrong. Check the photo. It's all about research, observation and sensitivity (empathy) for the character.
View attachment 166314

Not sure that's what Lejuan meant.
The sideshow figure looks like characture of Guinness, strong likeness for sure, but it doesn't look like a believable human being.
This looks like a real person but the likeness is not perfect.

As HT seemingly took time to tweak Ben before PO, i don't hold much hope production Han will be sgnificantly different from prototype. Shouldn't han be Under production already so release Schedule is respected?

Secret Base just posted this one.

11002696_774198825982061_5412104571845685244_o.jpg

Maybe Vader is too tall but I think Obi Wan is looking a bit on the short side there, not overly impressed with how Vader is looking though to be honest..., Obi Wan will be making it into my collection without a doubt but Vader? That'll be a no.

Sabres: Technically they were super thin in ANH. The depth and shape varied from shot to shot as they were hand drawn/rotoscoped. The actual reflective bars used when shooting where much thinner. Personally I think HT Bespin Luke got it perfect, display wise.

Looks way to short, he's lukes height there

You mean Vader is too tall.

They followed SS on that. Unless Vader's height has been mandated by Luca$

We are cursed with ridiculously sized Vaders. It will be a shame to finally have a Chewie (that might be a little on the short side) be roughly the same height as all the oversized Vaders that are out there. That and the tiny tiny probe droid that should - as someone pointed out earlier - be about double the size to be true to the movies.

I guess it only goes to show that the arrogance of the designers at HT is just as big as the arrogance at SSC. When they do their "painstaking research" they can't take a couple of hours to check the actual movies and see for themselves what the characters actually look like.

Not sure that's what Lejuan meant.
The sideshow figure looks like characture of Guinness, strong likeness for sure, but it doesn't look like a believable human being.
This looks like a real person but the likeness is not perfect.

I was reiterating what you'd said a few posts prior - but I think we're all on the same page. For my taste I'd go with the HT 'cause I'm putting more value in the 'believable human being' aspect. But I think SS captures Obi Wan's 'essence' more effectively. I'm just happy the sculpt got a tweak though, I'm really looking forward to this now.

I like how he turned out. I'll gladly pair him with HT's Vader. I will be keeping my Sideshow Obi-Wan and Vader as well.

Too much product being released. Howard thinks he's Neca.:lol

So much for "Collect them all".

The figures ok. That Vader is still horrible though.

Back