1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that I'd consider myself an expert, but id assume that a "complex" figure like a mark or an Endoskeleton ripoff like Ultron are more difficult to make than a man in a suit?

That depends; a complex, high-quality suit like the Avengers Loki probably was somewhat expensive- unlike, say, a cop uniform...

7156-551.jpg

Last edited:
Well, yeah. That's what I meant.

Obi - Wan is a guy in a bath robe, in essence, much like BRJ 2.0.

It's Star Wars/Disney, supposedly a "very expensive" license (that's how SSC defends their pricing on Luke).

What would you all say if HT prices this out of their asses, like they did with BRJ?

i like it more than enough that i wont think twice about ordering it the second it goes up. It's true the face was a little too smooth and young looking initially, but it looks pretty darn good now. I do wish the tunic was a little faded/toned down on all that white though.

I like it. It's stylised for sure, but it has a beauty about it IMO. Will look amazing on display.

The repainted sideshow head has a better likeness but doesn't look like a real person, looks like a characture.
The HT doesn't capture Alec 100% but it looks like a real person.

Lose, lose or win, win. I shall be happily adding him to my Star Wars line-up. :rock

I like it. It's stylised for sure, but it has a beauty about it IMO. Will look amazing on display.

The repainted sideshow head has a better likeness but doesn't look like a real person, looks like a characture.

Lose, lose or win, win. I shall be happily adding him to my Star Wars line-up. :rock

I agree with you :duff

Not that I'd consider myself an expert, but id assume that a "complex" figure like a mark or an Endoskeleton ripoff like Ultron are more difficult to make than a man in a suit?

Transformer figures that came out 20 years ago are just as complex to engineer, the thing is tall and its probably a one off body, thats really it. It has absolutely no accessories. And your thoughts on the Mark 42 repaint that costs 50 dollars more?

This guy looks fantastic. Color me impressed and ready to order! The Star Wars collection grows stronger.

Was that a dig at me? I'm certainly not new to 1/6, i'm thinking Stormtrooper pricing here. Although not a human sculpt, i made the comment before i noticed it also had the LED saber. With Han being 229$ but coming with more i could've seen it 199$ (hopeful) without the light up feature i guess.

It was a general raining on parades. I'm sure it'll be available sub-200 from some sources (ie in Malaysia or via coupons). I can't remember the last time I was pleasantly surprised by the MSRP of a HT figure.

Not bad. I still think Sideshows old doll still has a better likeness.

Will be pick up those old man hands for him though.

It is very, very close. Almost perfect iyam. Some people need their eyes checked if they think the SS version is much better than this proto.

Don't confuse photorealism with likeness. This is clearly the more realistic sculpt - but in my mind, Trevor's (repainted) sculpt captures Sir Alec as Obi Wan to greater effect. Like so many HT sculpts this looks like it was sculpted by someone who's seen a bunch of reference images but has no real appreciation of the character.

If you see one for $110--$160, BUY IT. Remember, the exclusive with bending-down holo Leia was limited to 1977 pieces, for the 30th SW anniversary. (so it's eight years old now.) When I bought my exclusive, it was the only one available on ebay- about a year ago. The others were all non-exclusives, and the bidding went up higher than $300 in those cases.

It's possible that since the HT Ben announcement people have put their SSC Bens on eBay and the price has dropped a bit - there were quite a lot of SSC Ben exclusives (10+) that sold in the two months I was watching, one went for under $100, the rest were in the $110-160 range. I knew the R2 was coming with a hologram Leia, so I wasn't that focused on getting the ex.

I hated the first Ben proto but this new version actually has me excited as to what the in-hand figure will be. The SSC sculpt is a little better likeness but the head is quite oversized and it lacks sculpt detail. And put simply - to buy a SSC Ben, have it repainted by one of the better guys and get new body, hands etc. would be way more than just buying the HT Ben, and you'd likely wait 6-12 months if you want a top painter like silentsurfer to get to yours. I already pondered this.

Not bad. I still think Sideshows old doll still has a better likeness.

Will be pick up those old man hands for him though.

Hmmm... for what exactly...

That HT hand just needs a bit of lube, and he's ready to perform a 'Jedi Probe' on Luke... old geezer hands.

:lol

Looks fantastic. Hope they're tweaking the Han sculpt too.

On a sidenote, I watched the TFA trailer again. SDCC will be sick this year, hopefully we'll have some protos on display.

Back