Hot Toys - Iron Man 2:Mark IV Limited Edition spec

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The head sculpt continues to be more and more impressive everytime I check on this thread. Just excellent!!! Can't wait till I receive my two from SSC.

JC Hong paints the sculpts in HT's official photos. I'm not sure the one shown on his blog and the one in the latest 'Backstage' pics are different. I'd bet they are one and the same, just lit differently.

It's more "what's supposed to be" than "what could have been".

I was slightly under the impression that the jc sculpt was the original sculpt for the figure and the one showed in the backstage was the "due to likness rights" the watered down version ..but i guess you may be right about it being the same sculpt as shown in the back stage pics ...who knows:dunno ..guess we will just have to wait and see:)

I was slightly under the impression that the jc sculpt was the original sculpt for the figure and the one showed in the backstage was the "due to likness rights" the watered down version ..but i guess you may be right about it being the same sculpt as shown in the back stage pics ...who knows:dunno ..guess we will just have to wait and see:)
No dude I don't think it's the same sculpt. I think the one on the stick is the original artists' sculpt and paint apps, and then the head in the "backstage" photos is the mass-produced head that'll actually come in the box. And the mass-produced version is inevitably going to look less stellar than the original one-off.

test_tony2.jpg
14973745023273734358690.jpg

Or it could be exactly the same head under different lighting conditions; I have no idea. But I don't know why else it would be on a stick and say "JC Hong" in the corner if it wasn't the original head that JC Hong personally painted. Regardless, even the "backstage" head is far and away Hot Toys' best Robert Downy Jr headsculpt to date in my opinion.

I haven't read all the back post. Am I understanding correctly the one on the left wasn't approved but the one on the right is the final approved sculpt :cuckoo:

Some of you seem very confused.

JC Hong is a painter, and he paints all of Hot Toys' prototype sculpts. He does not sculpt for HT.

Those newest pics of the Stark sculpt are from JC Hong's personal blog, aptly titled 'JC Hong's Paint Art'. He frequently displays his paint work there. If you take a look, you can see similar pictures (head on a stick) of the Barney Ross Expendables sculpt, T800 from T1, The Joker, etc etc.

Hot Toys rarely, if ever officially show rejected sculpts (Actually, I don't think they ever have).

The new Stark sculpt is Kojun's. It's the one you saw in the recent 'backstage' photos and the one in JC Hong's blog is one and the same. No reason to believe otherwise.

hrm...ok so same head but mass produced paint app (which makes the sculpt look less stellar) is what we get =(

They have shown sculpts that are later tweaked, like Blade and Wolverine.

Yeah, that is true. That area is a bit murky because HT isn't so transparent about what sculpts were updated/altered due to fan demand, licensor stipulation, or just internal observations at HT HQ.

I can see that the photo of JC painted HS is tilted down a whereas the other is more straight on and thats pretty much all I can see that is different as everything else is related to the tilt like the proportions of the jaw. Can it be just those few degrees and lighting that makes the sculpt look? JC does seem to train the staff in the factories and it could be lighting that makes the promoshots look pale. Is there something else cause this boarders on black magic to me why one is RDJ and the other is not!@? :panic:

BTW
Sorry but need to spread this info to find the right Freak here... nobody here is a Canadian living in BC???
Ikea Dioder for $20!!!

Last edited:
Shows what a great paint application can do. Wow! If that paint app were to come with the figure I would probably buy it.

Last edited:
Back