Del Toro and The Hobbit Movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So long as Ian Holm is involved somewhere I'm happy. Although I think a screen appearance would be great. I mean he's a fantastic actor - am I the only one who got goosebumps when he did the whole 'Goodbye' speech at his party - and then the close up on his face - his eyes just said it all - I mean that's acting when you can convey feelings just with a look in your eyes!

Does anyone else know the bit I'm talking about or do I just sound like a crazy chic? :dunno :lol

That was a great scene. I agree. It will be strange to see a different "Bilbo", though.

I agree. I hope to at least see a small glimpse of Allatar and Pallando and more recognition for Radagast and his work, however minute.

:rock :rock :rock

Also has Alan Lee been mentioned anywhere? My mum's gonna kill me if I don't ask seeing as she fancies the hell out of him, I mean thinks he's a great artist.

I know the hobbit is a darker book and Howe is better at doing baddies / dark landscapes but I think it would be great to get Alan Lee back.

I am waiting for that news as well. Those two were at least as important as Shore or Jackson.

Also has Alan Lee been mentioned anywhere? My mum's gonna kill me if I don't ask seeing as she fancies the hell out of him, I mean thinks he's a great artist.

I know the hobbit is a darker book and Howe is better at doing baddies / dark landscapes but I think it would be great to get Alan Lee back.

Wha . . . :confused: The Hobbit a darker book? Heavens no! It's a childrens book; it's infinitely lighter and more pleasant than the despair and seriousness which fills so much of his other works. The movie needs to reflect that.

Its needs to be lighter but find a nice mix for the movie audiences that will be seeing it.

The Hobbit should be more humorous, yes. But when I think of making the Hobbit "lighter" I get this image of Jar Jar, Gungans, fart jokes, and Ewoks in my head and I don't want anything of that sort in my Hobbit movie.

You’ll be using WETA Digital for the effects?

GDT: Yes, the essential elements for keeping continuity are on track, in the last few weeks I’ve been chatting with a ton of people via email, phone, and in person from the previous films. People like Andy Serkis, Sir Ian McKellen, Howard Shore, John Howe, Gino Acevedo, Richard Taylor next week I’m meeting Alan Lee. I’m doing this to ensure that whatever we do we keep continuity with the other films, yes it’s a world that is slightly more golden at the beginning, a very innocent environment.

Hooray! Thats the news I was waiting at last. I have now given my self to full on geek anticipation! :blissy :blissy

I've pretty excited up till now--then I read this from:
https://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1586421/story.jhtml

Del Toro: We can be pretty sure that we're getting back Andy, Ian, [composer] Howard Shore and [conceptual designer] John Howe. I am going to supplement the team of designers with other choices. People that come from the comic book worlds, not in the superhero sense, but the darker, more European type of comics. We're going to enhance the team of artists that conceptualized the first trilogy to create this earlier, more golden time and the way it starts to get tarnished.

I don't see Alan Lee's name...

Is this the first bump in the road? I sure hope not.

--Chris

Man, all good reports... this is the total opposite of the kind of news you hear for the GI Joe movie:lol

The Hobbit should be more humorous, yes. But when I think of making the Hobbit "lighter" I get this image of Jar Jar, Gungans, fart jokes, and Ewoks in my head and I don't want anything of that sort in my Hobbit movie.

No no, that's "dumber," or "more terrible than we ever want to imagine." I think the words he used though are PERFECT! "golden" and "very innocent." I guess this Mr. Del Toro thing won't be as bad as I feared! Maybe, just maybe, he gets it!!! Can it be true?

No no, that's "dumber," or "more terrible than we ever want to imagine." I think the words he used though are PERFECT! "golden" and "very innocent." I guess this Mr. Del Toro thing won't be as bad as I feared! Maybe, just maybe, he gets it!!! Can it be true?

Technically he said it would start out that way and then get progressively darker.

Wha . . . :confused: The Hobbit a darker book? Heavens no! It's a childrens book; it's infinitely lighter and more pleasant than the despair and seriousness which fills so much of his other works. The movie needs to reflect that.

With the risk of going on a rant that is totally off topic - I have to disagree!

Yes The Hobbit is dressed up as a children's tale but the dark side of the novel cannot be ignored.

Gandalf tricks Bilbo into undertaking a perilous journey - Bilbo & the company are attacked by various creatures e.g. trolls, wargs, goblins, giant spiders (same as LOTR), after becoming lost deep underground he meets Gollum and ends up with the ring (thus risking a similar dark influence as Frodo), the Silvan elves of Mirkwood then threaten the lives of the dwarves, blah, blah, blah... and of course we can't forget the star of the show - Smaug who doesn't really sound like the cute, fluffy bunny type.

Zohar Shavit wrote an interesting criticism of The Hobbit titled 'The Ambivalent Status of Texts: The Case of Children's Literature' in which he insightfully explained the following:

"The ambivalent text is deliberatley aimed toward two different groups of readers: children and adults... As the norm of complexity and sophistication is prevalent for some literary periods in the canonized system for adults, those adults who belong to the elite's consumers of the latter system are more likely to realize the sophisticated text in full, while children, who are used to the reduced and simplified models, are only aware of the well recognized established models. Thus, the less sophisticated child readers totally ignore several layers of the text."

(The readiness of an inferior system to accept the well established models only, is characteristic not only of other systems in the literary polysystem, but also of other semiotic systems, especially of social systems).

Although I should stop ranting otherwise I'll start quoting from my uni dissertation on The Hobbit! I just think it's important to recognize the conscious artistry of Tolkien and how he directed different parts of The Hobbit towards the different age groups of his readers.

Too excessive? :dunno :lol

Last edited:
Back