Del Toro and The Hobbit Movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sense the sales of my translation of Unfinished Tales perking up.

Which is only fair -- I labored over that book for two and a half years, putting more effort into it than the "most celebrated Croatian translator" (an old bloke who never got Tolkien) ever did into his own translation of The Hobbit and LOTR.

And no, I've decided not to retranslate his pitiful efforts. The country I live in is small, and the only people who read Tolkien are geeks who lack the basic width of insight to appreciate the differences I would make. (This also means that my own sections of both books will remain on my hard disc drive for the time being, safely anonymous.)

Good to hear that GDT is making The Hobbit as one movie, though. GREAT to hear that, actually. The second movie is give or take -- as a history of the Third Age it just might work, even without a lead character -- but the story of Bilbo's journey there and back again needs to be self-contained, and I'm overjoyed the dear Mexican is doing just that.

:joy

https://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1586421/story.jhtml

Another Interview with GDT.

He wants Ian Holm to be involved in some way, to me this suggests we may get a older Bilbo telling the story.

He again says that the 2nd film will be for the most part the "Unseen" events of the Hobbit (White Council/Dol Guldur etc) but hints that the 2nd part of film2 will be more to do with the LotR.

The film certainly condensed the scene, but what was left was basically Tolkien--just chopped up and moved around.

That's true. They swapped out lines between the characters, so though not exact, it still remained Tolkien-esque and worked out ok. It's just weird when rereading the books AFTER watching the films and finding those lines swapped back again.

The film certainly condensed the scene, but what was left was basically Tolkien--just chopped up and moved around. (And they even won an Oscar for their work.) I think they did a pretty good job respecting Tolkien's dialogue and more of it was kep in that I expected. I think they preserved much of the original dialogue, and elsewhere there is almost always a faithful Tolkien flavor to the lines. They were always able to get little snippets of dialogue and even chapter titles, etc. that made the films fun for people who were very familiar with the book. The trick will be the second film, as we have plot material from Tolkien, but very little dialogue to work with. This is where they will have to do a great deal of original work rather than adapting Tolkien's words.

Oh I agree they done a good job. I certainly enjoyed it. The point I was making was that they kept a Tolkien theme, but found ways to say it in their own words. Rather like at school when the teachers asked you to write something from a textbook, but to 'put it into your own words'! That Eowyn scene wasn't a great example by me, as alot of cutting was done.

Hmm . . .it'll be good to speculate if which of the actors will be back. perhaps Christopher Lee will get some better screen time this time.

OK So this is totally impossible but I love Ian Holm so I'm all for a little bit of plastic surgery, some Just For Men and hey presto we have Bilbo back!

:blissy

Seeing a "good" Saruman at the White Council would be awesome in the second film. I hope it happens.

And would also expand that character considerably.Seeing him as a good guy, WITH the good guys at the council, then perhaps showing him looking into the Palantir....then by the time you watch LOTR again you see him still acting the good guy with Gandalf before he finally shows his true self. Awesome!
I don't know how they would do it, but having a bit of Tom Bombadil in film 2 would be great too! Ok you can all shoot me down in flames now!
As for Ian Holm, GDT did say he could be involved in some way. So I'm thinking as a narrator just at the beginning like he done in FOTR EE. GDT could tell The Hobbit from Bilbo's point of view, like the book, and have him in Bag End writing 'There and Back Again', and thinking of how to start it, then writing 'In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit...' That would be a GREAT way to include that famous opening line, plus you would have the continuation of the red book.

I would love to see even more depth added to these characters. That to me is the coolest thing about a gap movie between The Hobbit and FOTR. It can in some ways put more meat on the bone of what is already a great amount of information in the movies and tie it back to the books even more.

All I want to know is when preorders for the Smaug statue from WETA will go up.:lol They may as well start the list now!:rotfl

I know that Ian Holm has said that the makeup used to make him look younger in the brief FOTR prologue shot was uncomfortable and that he wouldn't be interested in making a whole movie that way. It would be great for him to narrate as older Bilbo, much as Galadriel narrated the original trilogy.

So long as Ian Holm is involved somewhere I'm happy. Although I think a screen appearance would be great. I mean he's a fantastic actor - am I the only one who got goosebumps when he did the whole 'Goodbye' speech at his party - and then the close up on his face - his eyes just said it all - I mean that's acting when you can convey feelings just with a look in your eyes!

Does anyone else know the bit I'm talking about or do I just sound like a crazy chic? :dunno :lol

Back