Del Toro and The Hobbit Movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not so sure about Del Toro, I recently seen some of his movies which were good, but theres alot of better directors out there. I dont see where the hype for him directing comes from, Pans Labyrinth & hellboy were alright but I wasn't that impressed. Atleast PJ is behind it.

I would have said the exact same thing about PJ before he made LOTR, but he certainly came through. I think when it comes down to adapting a film like this, it's all about the passion for the material... PJ had it, and it sounds like Guillermo wants to do it justice. I haven't always been a huge fan of Del Toro's past work but I've heard the guy talk and he's got a great head for storytelling, I think with PJ on board as producer this will be knocked out of the park.

The answer to the riddle was not 2pm NZ time but 72 hours from when the riddle was first posted, still makes it Monday.

In an audio Interview GDT does say Monday should be the day but it may (depending on one of the parties involved) be the middle of this week.

https://www.voicesfromkrypton.com/2008/04/exclusive-inter.html

Cool, he says "[...] in 72 hours or so we will know if I stay or I'm booted [...] and "[...] by middle of next week we will know the latest [...]"... :banana

Del Toro has officially signed on.

In a major step forward on "The Hobbit," Guillermo del Toro has signed on to direct the New Line-MGM tentpole and its sequel.
The widely expected announcement came Thursday afternoon jointly from exec producers Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, New Line president Toby Emmerich and Mary Parent, the newly named chief of MGM's Worldwide Motion Picture Group.

Del Toro's moving to New Zealand for the next four years to work with Jackson and his Wingnut and WETA production teams. He'll direct the two films back to back, with the sequel which will deal with the 60-year period between "The Hobbit" and "The Fellowship of the Ring," the first of the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

New Line is overseeing development and will manage production. Both pics are being co-produced and co-financed by New Line Cinema and MGM, with Warner Bros. distributing domestically and MGM handling international.

Del Toro most recently helmed "Pan's Labyrinth," released through New Line's Picturehouse. The fantasy set a record as the highest grossing Spanish language film in U.S. box office history.

https://www.variety.com/article/VR1117984595.html?categoryid=10&cs=1

Del Toro has officially signed on.

Hell Freaking ya!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:chew

He'll direct the two films back to back, with the sequel which will deal with the 60-year period between "The Hobbit" and "The Fellowship of the Ring," the first of the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

Did you guys notice this bit?

So what will this story be?
It's obviously not something written by Tolkien. I wonder if there's enough stuff from his writings, notes and appendixes to fill those sixty years.

Very interesting.

And Pearlman will be Smaug's voice, right?

That's what we've talked about here before is all the notes and appendixes will fill in those years. This should allow for some of the people who played in FOTR to come back.

Did you guys notice this bit?

So what will this story be?
It's obviously not something written by Tolkien. I wonder if there's enough stuff from his writings, notes and appendixes to fill those sixty years.

Very interesting.

And Pearlman will be Smaug's voice, right?

Trust me, there's enough information to cover the second movie plus more. The wealth of information in HOME, the History of the Hobbit and other works by Tolkien should be sufficient for the sequel.

Del Toro seems like a really cool guy I cant wait to see what he brings to the films
Lets hope they use Weta for the make up and the creatures then hopefully if its being filmed in NZ i can live out my dream of being a Orc extra in the movie :joy:joy:joy

Finally!!! Let's get this started already before I turn 30.

Let's get this started already before Ian McKellan gets too old or sick or anything catastrophic.

And as for Weta being involved....Jackson partnered with Richard Taylor to found the company....you can extrapolate and conclude from there. :D

Back