Del Toro and The Hobbit Movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Del Toro seems like a really cool guy I cant wait to see what he brings to the films
Lets hope they use Weta for the make up and the creatures then hopefully if its being filmed in NZ i can live out my dream of being a Orc extra in the movie :joy:joy:joy

Yeah i was thinking of possibly heading over the ditch and seeing if i could score a gig as an extra or something.

Considered it during the filming of the Rings but never got to the stage of enquiring about it.

Probably wont happen as we are just starting a family but if u hear anything over in NZ Sawyer would appreciate if u could let me know or just mention it in the official Hobbit thread.:cool: ;)

Yeah i was thinking of possibly heading over the ditch and seeing if i could score a gig as an extra or something.

Considered it during the filming of the Rings but never got to the stage of enquiring about it.

Probably wont happen as we are just starting a family but if u hear anything over in NZ Sawyer would appreciate if u could let me know or just mention it in the official Hobbit thread.:cool: ;)

Hey Redman sure il give you a thumbs up if I find anything regarding the need for extras in the Hobbit, I added you too my buddies list so I know who to reply or who to send a PM too
I'll keep my eyes open :monkey1

Thanks mate:rock.Doubt it will happen with family obviously being my first priority but u never know.If i also hear anything i will let u know.Cheers kiwi thats the Anzac spirit.;)

This is great news for LOTR fans...

...but sad news for Hellboy fans. :monkey2

I guess this means no HB3 since Del Toro will be busy the next 4 years.

:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

pjgdt2lt0.jpg

718878.jpg

BTW, is Jackson almost done with The Lovely Bones?

pjgdt2lt0.jpg

718878.jpg

BTW, is Jackson almost done with The Lovely Bones?

Well I just looked up on the net and The Lovely Bones is set to be released on March 13th 2009 so they are either finishing filming or they are in Post Production

Great news! I really think Del Toro is a great choice and since he'll be working with Jackson and Walsh it feels like the project is on very solid footing!

Now lets just hope the casting is up to the same caliber as the LOTR trilogy :rock

Just read this:

Well, I had the most charming meeting with Sir Ian, and all bureaucracy pending, he’s on board, as is Andy Serkis. We will continue giving you progress reports as the occur. It is our intention that we will not lose any of the key elements.

No big surprise, but still nice to see it in print.

EDIT: And one more little bit that got me excited:

We will officially be doing a lot of prep on ‘The Hobbit’ this summer, there is so much to do, its amazing. Just the reforestation of The Shire, re planting all those trees and plants will take months, and we’re going to be as exact as possible.

We really are going to get all the continuity we have been hoping for.

EDIT: One more thing--less creature CGI:

The only thing I will be pushing for more in these films that the other three are full animatronics and animatronic creatures enhanced with CGI, as opposed to CGI creatures themselves. We really want to take the state-of-the-art animatronics and take a leap ten years into the future with the technology we will develop for the creatures in the movie. We have every intention to do for animatronics and special effects what the other films did for virtual reality.

Last edited:
Sweet! I really feel Del Toro and PJ/Crew will do everything to make it all be perfect. Its also nice to read that everyone that can come back is going to be brought back if possible.

The news just keeps getting better and better. Very interesting to hear that he wants to use animatronics. I'm always for that.

Yes sounds very promising and the more original guys they manage to get back from the trilogy will only continue to broaden the smile.:D

So anyone seen Ian Holm these days,has he aged much since the LOTR films?I'm guessing to old to play such a full role at this stage of his life.

Last edited:
Everything Del Toro has said concerning his ideas for the movies has been more promising than I could have realised. He seems to know exactly what he wants to do and and everyone coming back is just the beginning.

Its interesting how important he's taking it not to make the second one filler; Lets face it, this is where things could really get messy, since despite all the background material available, theres no actual text to follow and we're in danger of the filmmakers often "just making stuff up".

He also mentioned and I'm paraphrasing here, that at some points we may see the events in THE HOBBIT from a different point of view. So it sounds like they maybe looking closely at material such as THE QUEST OF EREBOR from UNFINISHED TALES.

It almost feels like its 1998 again, when the LOTR announcement came and I would be checking TORN and the other internet sites daily for scraps of news!

I know! This is what I know we've been waiting for for 5 years now and it couldn't come at a better time.

Just read this:

No big surprise, but still nice to see it in print.

EDIT: And one more little bit that got me excited:

We really are going to get all the continuity we have been hoping for.

EDIT: One more thing--less creature CGI:

Awesome news. Torn just went back in my Bookmarks list. :rock

Its interesting how important he's taking it not to make the second one filler; Lets face it, this is where things could really get messy, since despite all the background material available, theres no actual text to follow and we're in danger of the filmmakers often "just making stuff up".

He also mentioned and I'm paraphrasing here, that at some points we may see the events in THE HOBBIT from a different point of view. So it sounds like they maybe looking closely at material such as THE QUEST OF EREBOR from UNFINISHED TALES.

About 'making stuff up', most of the dialogue from LOTR was from the scriptwriters not from Tolkien, ok some was identical but they put it in their own words. Who can forget Eowyns brilliant dialogue with the Witch King in the book, cut in the film to: I will kill you if you touch him!
I was hoping that 'The quest of erebor' would be in The Hobbit, but I guess keeping The Hobbit as just the book version and having the whole Gandalf vs Sauron side issue in the second film would be cool.

Book version:

"Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in return. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled imnd be left naked to the Lidless Eye."

"Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."

"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"

"But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn am I, Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him."

Film version:

"I will kill you if you touch him!"

"Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey!"

"No man can kill me . . . Die!"

"I am no man!"

The film certainly condensed the scene, but what was left was basically Tolkien--just chopped up and moved around. (And they even won an Oscar for their work.) I think they did a pretty good job respecting Tolkien's dialogue and more of it was kep in that I expected. I think they preserved much of the original dialogue, and elsewhere there is almost always a faithful Tolkien flavor to the lines. They were always able to get little snippets of dialogue and even chapter titles, etc. that made the films fun for people who were very familiar with the book. The trick will be the second film, as we have plot material from Tolkien, but very little dialogue to work with. This is where they will have to do a great deal of original work rather than adapting Tolkien's words.

I agree overall they did a nice job and remember they couldn't say some of these things the same way. If they did most movie fans would have been bored to tears or lost.

Back