D.R.37's Cargo Hold: 1/6 Star Wars Mods & Customs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: D.R.37's Cargo Hold: 1/6 Star Wars Customs

Thanks, Chris!

I?ve been dying to paint it since I started but keep wanting to get it closer to the original design. I feel I?m pretty close but will probably put him down for bit to think it through.
Finger?s healing better than expected and just keep it wrapped and out of dusts way... as much as possible.
Thanks, Andrew!

Thanks Stryker :D

Thanks, James!

Not a scalpel incident but those have come close a few times. Work injury with steel pipe fittings that almost took more than it did - thank the maker.

Thank you! Same here, for a year I just had him on the bench glancing over him often wondering what cold be done. Almost painted him black, which is what I plan to do, several times but just left him after the initial sculpt attempt. Found him in a box last week and put him back up, staring at him until I decided to change more things.

Yeah the hands are more like 4-Lom?s. I may try to add some tweaks to these droid-looking hands I have on him now. Also I?ve thought about elongating the head, moving the arms inward a bit since they are a little too wide spread, and also taking a Dremel to all those details, since they are basically just cylinders without all the 3PO bits, as you mentioned. There?s so much that could be done to this but just figuring out how much more I wanna put into it :lol

Even though in the exhibitions they gave him 3PO-type hands the ones the silver DSD in the sandcrawler wears look more like stormtrooper gloves with chrome pieces glued on. They are unique, not like the 3PO and 4-LOM hands. It's unclear what the black death star version has because there's not enough ref pics. The sandcrawler DSD also has no crotch armor piece - he's just wearing shiny rubber pants, so not sure how you make that accurate.:lol

For mine all I have done is redone the arms (shorter and better positioned) and added some better (3PO) hands, and repainted the eyes gold.

Re: D.R.37's Cargo Hold: 1/6 Star Wars Customs - Death Star Droid: RA-7 Droid

I could only find a couple images (Black DSD): waist up shot - hands not shown, of course, and a corridor shot with Vader in the background - hands visible but unable to make out any details :gah:
I just came to the conclusion of replicating what Rogue One and a fan man costume used as hands (4-Lom style ridges on top). I just replaced those Hasbro boxing gloves with HT Deathstroke hands and will retool some details on top... close enough for me.
Hah... never noticed the rubber pants before :D

Re: D.R.37's Cargo Hold: 1/6 Star Wars Customs - Death Star Troopers

Finished the 2nd helmet today, completing my Death Star Troopers I started earlier this year.
I liked how these came out except for the oversized neck opening on the uniforms. Futzed them as close as I could with no alterations. I'll most likely bring-in the collars at a later date.
Apologies for the crappy cellphone shots.

Death Star Trooper #1

5C5F40B4-32F3-4070-8948-E0909D89D98A.jpg

Death Star Trooper #2

679B4669-664F-40FB-A108-AEBB5F0759A6.jpg

552B8A19-39F3-4A46-8582-E90C8F5C15A1.jpg

...and with the Grand Moff. (Been waiting a long time for this group photo!)

A310F9E5-84D9-4F4F-9701-CD80399AC85B.jpg

Sorry about the finger D.R.37. Hope it is a quick heal.

I have the old 12" Death Star Droid that you are upgrading. Never knew that there were so many inaccuracies with it! Looking forward to seeing the figure after all of your alterations. So far it is looking very cool.

Your Death Star Troopers are looking great as well!

-
Dennis

Paul! Dude, I?m so sorry to hear about your finger! I hope it heals soon and you?ll be back to killing the game. I?ve been checking out the amazing paint work you?ve been posting and I?m in awe man! Especially the paint jobs on the Sandtroopers and the Gonk droids! I gotta get one from Rusty! Your stuff is perfection!

Thanks man :duff
Fingers healing great and have been able to work on some things this past week - battle damaged finger aside :)

Guys, what's the thickness of the leather that any of you have used for belts etc ? I'm looking at some around 1mm thick. Thinner is tougher to get, and of course it is not a constant 1mm either.

Just interested in anyones experience with leather for 1/6 figures.

Guys, what's the thickness of the leather that any of you have used for belts etc ? I'm looking at some around 1mm thick. Thinner is tougher to get, and of course it is not a constant 1mm either.

Just interested in anyones experience with leather for 1/6 figures.

The thinnest I?ve found was about 1 and 1.5mm from a scrap bag they sell at Hobby Lobby. There?s a garment district here in Los Angeles that I?d imagine would have many materials used in 1/6. I?ll have to check it out one of these days.

The thinnest I?ve found was about 1 and 1.5mm from a scrap bag they sell at Hobby Lobby. There?s a garment district here in Los Angeles that I?d imagine would have many materials used in 1/6. I?ll have to check it out one of these days.

OK cool. The leather belt on Han and Boba Fett is about 0,8mm and I've noticed any little pouches etc on belts HT tends to make them from plastic. So I think I'll give this leather a go.

I do recall someone saying they used leather from an old wallet, which I guess would be thinner. Perhaps something to keep in mind.

Loving your Gonk, Death Star Droid and the Death Star Troopers. Gonk really blown me away. Love it. Not been on for awhile so late to these. Hope your finger is sorted.

OK cool. The leather belt on Han and Boba Fett is about 0,8mm and I've noticed any little pouches etc on belts HT tends to make them from plastic. So I think I'll give this leather a go.

I do recall someone saying they used leather from an old wallet, which I guess would be thinner. Perhaps something to keep in mind.

Many of the HT & SSC belts are that size but are thinly wrapped pleather. I?ve found similar looking faux leather fabric but would still need to wrap around something 0.7mm?ish. Would love to hear others input on belts.

Loving your Gonk, Death Star Droid and the Death Star Troopers. Gonk really blown me away. Love it. Not been on for awhile so late to these. Hope your finger is sorted.

Thank you :) and healing now going great should be back to 100% in a week :D

Re: D.R.37's Cargo Hold: 1/6 Star Wars Customs - Death Star Droid: RA-7 Droid

So I think I've put more time in on this than I initially planned to :lol but kept wanting to make it "that much better" everytime I came close to throwing paint on, which wasn't anything special as I wanted just a black DSD.

Sharpened up the "U" brow.

E2147053-A6E6-4890-9B3D-20D63C236A79.jpg

Cleaned up the seem and kneecaps.

91283A30-84BA-4826-B319-F22C302F79C4.jpg

Removed some 3PO details and widened the body up a few mm's.

30C413B4-6676-420E-BB46-851F455ED80D.jpg

Almost left it all black just because I liked how glossy the eyes came out, but went ahead with the gold.

5FB896A2-3705-4E0A-837D-C495F5287D75.jpg

His sexy side ;)
The screw holes are still kind of visible in a couple spots.

8C7EE3CF-B013-4D99-B283-511FCFC5492E.jpg

I may go back and add some weathering but he's done. Yeah he's just a $20 toy I spent too much time on but I love all that is Imperial in Star Wars especially the droids and I figure this will never see the light of day as a high end figure. Plus it was another fun mod :D

D6EFFB4A-09FC-4AF8-8DAB-0DD54F107E51.jpeg

46518685-6113-4C95-A729-280FE1B51A53.jpg

54D86E1E-BB55-40DF-813C-5AC22377A4D7.jpg

Back