1/6 POTC - SWToys x Tough Guys FS046 Lord of the Caspian Sea (Barbossa)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope it is just that pic but the head sculpt looks too round. I'm sure it can be saved but I was hoping the sculpt would be at least like the prototype. I'll know for sure in a little over a week or so.

Rocco has a good likeness when painted right would look better with rooted hair.
Barbossa02.jpg

Also this person on insta offers blank sculpts but lacks the skin detail barbossa has. Honestly never understood why hot toys didn't do him.

Screenshot_20220902-101728_Instagram.jpg

Kind of regret paying my OSK invoice at the moment.....
Really hoping this turns out okay.
@Kit Chen - is there any recourse if the figure has strayed quite a bit from the prototype in quality?

Rocco has a good likeness when painted right would look better with rooted hair.
View attachment 597476

Also this person on insta offers blank sculpts but lacks the skin detail barbossa has. Honestly never understood why hot toys didn't do him.

View attachment 597477
Right now I'll take it if it comes close to either if these. That is a terrible picture of swtoys'. Makes me wonder why. They seem to be hiding it in shadow. For effect? Or just to hide it? But to be fair Jack looks terrible too.
Sculpt looks the same. The eyes are still too close together. The paint seems like where the big drop off shows up. Clothes look frumpy, but something that can be worked on.

I bought this as fodder to fix up my old Rocco set - still think that sculpt is amazing when painted well. Now I'm thinking I may not be able to use too much - oh well. I've done worse. The had looks nice, and the yellow sash is a definite upgrade.

The likeness of the SW sculpt isn't bad at all the hair and paint let this down. So might actually send mine for a repaint.

The coat I think we could organise a run especially as Hardy liga has done one before.

Joao is the same with his reviews his is more of a quick look. Hat is actually good sizing, brings out the likeness.

Really like the fact the sword is die-cast.

The likeness of the SW sculpt isn't bad at all the hair and paint let this down. So might actually send mine for a repaint.

The coat I think we could organise a run especially as Hardy liga has done one before.

Joao is the same with his reviews his is more of a quick look. Hat is actually good sizing, brings out the likeness.

Really like the fact the sword is die-cast.
Believe me, i would love to do longer reviews. But i lack knowledge in video and shooting, color grading and so on. I am more worried in not ruining a good figure on a review.
My photo yesterday scared a lot of people, and i had no any intention in hiding or over saturating the photo.
I want to do these videos in natural light in the future, but im still trying to find the right setup.

Believe me, i would love to do longer reviews. But i lack knowledge in video and shooting, color grading and so on. I am more worried in not ruining a good figure on a review.
My photo yesterday scared a lot of people, and i had no any intention in hiding or over saturating the photo.
I want to do these videos in natural light in the future, but im still trying to find the right setup.
My thanks to all posting or making reviews - at the price point, for me, I'm not unhappy. There are things that can be tweaked. Across a room, on display it's gonna be pretty cool to finally get a Barbossa - IMO HT should have done Barbossa years ago.

My thanks to all posting or making reviews - at the price point, for me, I'm not unhappy. There are things that can be tweaked. Across a room, on display it's gonna be pretty cool to finally get a Barbossa - IMO HT should have done Barbossa years ago.
Barbossa should have been one of the FIRST figures HT did in the line! Typically in a toy line, there are heroes and villains. Instead we got Elizabeth in an outfit no one wanted and Chow Yun Fat’s character because he’s big in China.

I’m glad I preordered this figure. I like the use of die-cast metal and wood. The magnets for Jack were inspired and he’ll look amazing on the shelf with a proper futz.

He looks pretty good. I'm glad the sword is diecast as i plan to pose him sword fighting with Captain Jack when i get him

First -- THANK YOU to Big Breda for the comprehensive review.

OK, so, I like the accessories... and the magnetic monkey is cool...

But the sculpt with the Barbie hair is terrible. The flat skin against the shiny neck really looks terrible.

However, trimming and thinning the hair would likely improve the look immensely.

The overall outfit is a disappointment. All very Hasbro-ish. Bright and incorrect patterns. His boots should be leather and black His pants were black and far more baggy. His vest more subtle. His jacket -- well, people are already talking replacement.

Lastly -- no green apple? Seriously.

For the money and necessary improvements, one might be better served to get the Rocco sets or the GheeWhiz outfit and separate sculpt.

Thank you for you very good review, Big Breda.

In my opinion, it is a drop from the prototype, no doubt, but I think it is definitely salvageable.

To me, the most important aspect of a figure is the head sculpt. I wonder if it can be heated up, squeezed a little together from the sides and then dunked in ice water to set. As Wor-Gar mentioned, the hair needs some trimming. The outfit is what it is. Perhaps some water treatment to not only fade the colors somewhat but to have it hang better may help the overall look.

I still don't have it in hand but Big Breda's video really does show it off well. I'm hoping that with some work, it can be at least a very good stand-in for Barbossa.

Back