1/6 NEXT Hot Toys DC Figure...?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anecdotal but that Facebook post comparing the number of people waiting in line for the new Iron Man at the HK store vs. the number of people waiting for Cyborg was also very telling in that regard.

r3tq772f02f71.jpg

Underscores the differences in taste between Asian vs. U.S. and Europe markets perhaps. I'll go out on a limb and guess that most buyers for Cyborg will be in the west.

The demand for Cyborg will definitely be bigger in the West...but let's not pretend Iron Man isn't more popular than Cyborg by orders of magnitude in the West as well. That's not knocking Cyborg. I've had a fondness for the character since the Teen Titans show back in 03. But if we're talking the hotter character, it's unquestionably Iron Man.

The demand for Cyborg will definitely be bigger in the West...but let's not pretend Iron Man isn't more popular than Cyborg by orders of magnitude in the West as well. That's not knocking Cyborg. I've had a fondness for the character since the Teen Titans show back in 03. But if we're talking the hotter character, it's unquestionably Iron Man.
It’s a nonsensical comparison…one character kickstarted the most successful franchise in movie history, the other…didn’t.
Why does it have to be a binary choice?
Is there a plastic shortage that we don’t know about?
Iron Man is also more popular than a random clone from the Bad Batch cartoon and young Han Solo from the box office failure Solo: A Star Wars Story but that hasn’t stopped Hot Toys from releasing figures of them in spite of them being less popular than Iron Man.
I imagine that per capita there are more Cyborg fans in Europe, Asia, and North America than there are fans of the MCU version of Hawkeye, Young Solo, or Taskmaster…
Point is, if Hot Toys made more figures that don’t have a Disney logo somewhere on the packaging there are plenty of people who would gladly buy them.

Anecdotal but that Facebook post comparing the number of people waiting in line for the new Iron Man at the HK store vs. the number of people waiting for Cyborg was also very telling in that regard.

r3tq772f02f71.jpg
I mean. Nobody really likes cyborg except for people who enjoyed the Snyder films and those weren’t well loved. I don’t care what anyone says. Iron man is more universally loved more do than a failed justice league hero . Still love teen Titans cyborg tho

It’s a nonsensical comparison…one character kickstarted the most successful franchise in movie history, the other…didn’t.
Iron Man is also more popular than a random clone from the Bad Batch cartoon and young Han Solo from the box office failure Solo: A Star Wars Story but that hasn’t stopped Hot Toys from releasing figures of them in spite of them being less popular than Iron Man.
I imagine that per capita there are more Cyborg fans in Europe, Asia, and North America than there are fans of the MCU version of Hawkeye, Young Solo, or Taskmaster…
Point is, if Hot Toys made more figures that don’t have a Disney logo somewhere on the packaging there are plenty of people who would gladly buy them.
Hawkeye, solo (young or old ) and task master are way popular than cyborg cause they belong to a successful shared universe. Solo sucked but he belongs to the Ot Star Wars . Hawkeye is from a group that made billions and getting his own show. Taskmaster… kinda sucks. Cyborg is from a failed universe and a movie that had to be remade to be 4 hrs to be good. Plus fans of cyborg are way less. I think people want him to complete the jl line

Hawkeye, solo (young or old ) and task master are way popular than cyborg cause they belong to a successful shared universe. Solo sucked but he belongs to the Ot Star Wars . Hawkeye is from a group that made billions and getting his own show. Taskmaster… kinda sucks. Cyborg is from a failed universe and a movie that had to be remade to be 4 hrs to be good. Plus fans of cyborg are way less. I think people want him to complete the jl line
I’m gonna have to disagree…I’ve got three sons all under the age of 11 and they would just as soon set Star Wars, Hawkeye, or Taskmaster on fire as watch anything with them heavily featured in it…but they lose their minds over Cyborg…all of their friends do too.
when they’re playing they fight over who gets to be Cyborg.
None of them have even seen Snyder’s Justice League.
Don’t underestimate the power of those two recent Teen Titans animated series and definitely don’t make the mistake of assuming that old men who frequent toy discussion groups on the internet are an accurate reflection of what the tastes of the general public, that a lot of this stuff is targeted for, are.
This is all kid’s stuff that some adults hold on to…not the other way around…kids LOVE Cyborg.

I’m gonna have to disagree…I’ve got three sons all under the age of 11 and they would just as soon set Star Wars, Hawkeye, or Taskmaster on fire as watch anything with them heavily featured in it…but they lose their minds over Cyborg…all of their friends do too.
when they’re playing they fight over who gets to be Cyborg.
None of them have even seen Snyder’s Justice League.
Don’t underestimate the power of those two recent Teen Titans animated series and definitely don’t make the mistake of assuming that old men who frequent toy discussion groups on the internet are an accurate reflection of what the tastes of the general public, that a lot of this stuff is targeted for, are.
This is all kid’s stuff that some adults hold on to…not the other way around…kids LOVE Cyborg.
Cyborg from teen titans go. Not the cyborg from the Snyder cut. Huge difference.

Cyborg from teen titans go. Not the cyborg from the Snyder cut. Huge difference.
Actually no. That’s splitting hairs…Cyborg is Cyborg…my kids aren’t going to sit through a 4 hour movie but when I show them clips of Cyborg from the Snyder Cut they go crazy…it’s all Cyborg to them.
Do we need to differentiate between the movie. Captain America and the comic book one? It’s just Captain America.

Gonna have to say “citation needed” on the Hawkeye bit. And I don’t think anyone here is making the argument Cyborg shouldn’t be made either or that it has to be an either or situation.

Rather, the point is we keep having circular arguments asking why Marvel and Star Wars get preferential treatment over (non-Batman) DC movies, when the simple answer would seem to be because they’re more popular.

Gonna have to say “citation needed” on the Hawkeye bit. And I don’t think anyone here is making the argument Cyborg shouldn’t be made either or that it has to be an either or situation.

Rather, the point is we keep having circular arguments asking why Marvel and Star Wars get preferential treatment over (non-Batman) DC movies, when the simple answer would seem to be because they’re more popular.
The citation is I think he sucks.
Like I said…I “imagine” he is less popular based upon my citation above.
Do people’s imaginations usually include a works cited page?

Personal opinions are all fine and dandy. But that’s not the same as him being objectively unpopular or less marketable than Cyborg.

A more fitting comparison might be the generic stormtrooper army builders, but even then that’s not particularly shocking since Star Wars is more popular than Justice League.

Actually no. That’s splitting hairs…Cyborg is Cyborg…my kids aren’t going to sit through a 4 hour movie but when I show them clips of Cyborg from the Snyder Cut they go crazy…it’s all Cyborg to them.
Do we need to differentiate between the movie. Captain America and the comic book one? It’s just Captain America.
Nah son. Cyborg isn’t cyborg. Just cause ur kids like Snyder cut cyborg doesn’t mean anything. Cyborg Snyder cut isn’t popular at all. If that were the case he’d sell more toys and stuff more than mcu characters which he doesn’t. Not even hawkeye.
Cap is the same as his movies. Cyborg is different from his teen titans counterpart. So again big difference

When a figure remains on preorder status it means orders are still coming in at HT for the product. (Thanks to @Hoody999 for confirming that for us with one of his local shop owners. Makes sense!) We don’t really know how popular Cyborg is yet. But I’d imagine that sales for it are probably fine for a DC figure.

I mean, it’s pretty clear that SW and MCU are more popular than DC. DC (especially DCEU) is less popular in Asia. But that doesn’t mean that there isn’t a very healthy market for DC characters worldwide nevertheless. But at the end of the day HT knows they’re going to make more money off MCU and SW so of course that’s where the bulk of their resources go. I’m just lamenting the fact that it sucks for DC collectors.

Nah son. Cyborg isn’t cyborg. Just cause ur kids like Snyder cut cyborg doesn’t mean anything. Cyborg Snyder cut isn’t popular at all. If that were the case he’d sell more toys and stuff more than mcu characters which he doesn’t. Not even hawkeye.
Cap is the same as his movies. Cyborg is different from his teen titans counterpart. So again big difference
Nope. Cyborg is the same across different media too…just like EVERY other character in the world. Unless it’s a fan film…once they release it, it’s the character.
Not sure what editorial powers you have been granted that you think allow you, and you alone, to decide which characters are the same or different across different media.
That decision is made by the entities who retain the copyright of those characters.
If it comes from DC then it’s Cyborg. If it comes from Marvel then it’s Captain America.
The validity of the character is not defined by your personal tastes, sorry to break it to you.

A lot of "fail" in there. I personally don't think the ZSJL movie failed at all. The fact that no watch figures were released and BluRays in US only going on sale now shows it must have been a pretty big success on HBOMax.

It was WB and their meddling and bungled Josstice League release that made it a failure, not the characters or story imo.

I agree with this only in the fact that 9/10, kids aren't the ones buying a $300+ HT figure. So, his popularity among children doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of HT figures as these are adult collectibles. Only time that matters is if you're buying your kids the HT Cyborg figure, but even then, the adult is still the one purchasing the figure.

Interested to see what Hot Toys makes from The Batman next year...
Indeed. Obviously, we'll be getting Batman, but we'll be lucky if we get any of the rogues gallery from HT. We'd probably sooner get the other villains that are said to appear in the film from 3rd party companies.

Interested to see what Hot Toys makes from The Batman next year...
The Batman and the Batbike. I don't see any other character with a unique look, even Catwoman so far. I think for Howard to make one of them would be for them to have a somewhat comic inspired/accurate look. But I don't see that happening so far.

Back