Rank the 16 DC Extended Universe Films from Best to Worst

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xb24

Super Freak
Reaction score
How would you rank the 16 DCEU films from best to worst?

1. Aquaman
2. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom
3. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
4. Birds of Prey
5. Black Adam
6. Blue Beetle
7. The Flash
8. Justice League
9. Man of Steel
10. Shazam!
11. Shazam! Fury of the Gods
12. Suicide Squad 2016
13. The Suicide Squad 2021
14. Wonder Woman
15. Wonder Woman 1984
16. Zack Snyder's Justice League

1*SzMHB2_8W2fvE5hOaHujUw.jpeg

Personally...
  1. ZSJL (if only for the "you gotta' break the rule, Barry" scene)
  2. Wonder Woman (first 2/3rds)
  3. The Suicide Squad
  4. Aquaman
  5. Shazam! (the parts that didn't terrify the kids)
IMO, most of the remaining DCEU (aside from the highly entertaining Peacemaker) was heavily mismanaged and passable. And no, Man of Steel is not my idea of a franchise starter.

Hard to give a real ranking. I have not seen any of these more then 2x accept for BvS and MOS

Enjoyed this one the most.
Wonder Woman - 8/10

Good moments. Black Adam had the best action in the series IMO.
Zack Snyder's Justice League - 7.5/10
Black Adam - 7.5/10

Yep I Like the Harley Trilogy
Suicide Squad 2016 - 6.5/10
The Suicide Squad 2021 - 7/10
Birds of Prey 7/10

Passable I guess
Man of Steel - 6/10
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - 6/10

Pretty Bad overall with some good moments
Shazam! - 5/10
Shazam! Fury of the Gods - 4/10
Justice League - 4/10
The Flash - 4/10

AWFUL
Wonder Woman 1984 - 2/10
Blue Beetle - 1/10

Aquaman - 0/10

Did not See. Probably wont ever see. I really hated the first one.
Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom

1. Man of Steel ( A film about Krypton)
2. Aquaman ( A film about Black Manta, his origins and his relationship with his father)
3. Wonder Woman ( A film about Themyscria Island and the Amazon culture there)
4. The Flash ( A film about Super Girl)
5. The Suicide Squad 2021 ( A film about Peacemaker with King Shark as his sidekick)
6. Zack Snyder's Justice League ( A film about the Knightmare scenario, i.e. evil Superman and gun wielding Batman in an alternate reality)
7. Shazam! ( No changes. Solid family film. )
8. Blue Beetle ( Shift to hard R format, lots of sex and violence)
9. Suicide Squad 2016 ( A film about Amanda Waller and her origins)
10. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice ( A film about Senator Finch putting Superman on "trial" and the question on if he should answer to world governments)
11. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom ( A hard R film, with real brutal violence, showing a war with the collected world navies against Atlantis. )
12. Justice League ( A film about the original early history war for the three Motherboxes with Steppenwolf)
13. Shazam! Fury of the Gods ( A film about Harcourt and Economos investigating super heroes)
14. Black Adam ( A film about Doctor Fate)
15. Wonder Woman 1984 ( A film about Diana and her early life and her trials/tribulations of growing up)
16. Birds of Prey ( A film that operates as a real origin story for Quinn and Joker)

Some basic thoughts -

I loved Man Of Steel. The casting was great and there was a real clear appreciation, homage and understanding of Clark Kent's core nature. What I enjoyed about Kent is he had effective boundaries. He wasn't idealized to the point of disbelief. He didn't try to be right or wrong with humans, only fair.

I fully believe, and have always held, that buried within most DCEU films was a greater film inside of them, that if they were truly realized, would have kept the previous slate going, instead of having the clear Gunn reboot. While I loved Man Of Steel, the movie that should have come next should have been a Krypton prequel. Crowe and Shannon were fantastic. The world building, aesthetic, tone and shape of Krypton in the opening scenes of MOS were IMHO phenomenal.

Where I think the DCEU went wrong is it tried to form it's own "Avengers", instead of organically assessing the characters, actors and storylines that had real weight behind them. Doctor Fate was super interesting. Black Adam? Not so much. I know having a Superman "trial" doesn't seem exciting as fighting Batman. But I felt that storyline asked some really big and interesting questions about what the real context would be if the world had to accommodate the reality of real super heroes. Not the hand waving of the Sokovia Accords but a real accounting of the true cost of that upon the entire world.

I felt the same way about many of the Netflix Marvel shows. Who cares about Luke Cage? I didn't. But Cottonmouth and his sister, their backstory, was just incredibly well done. Do I want to know more about Jessica Jones? Not really. But I'd like to see more of David Tennant as a psychopathic bad guy. Didn't care about The Runaways (on Hulu). But a story about Ned and Betty from the Spiderman films, having their own lighthearted adventure, in the vein of Nick And Norah's Infinite Playlist, would have done so much better to appeal to a younger audience.

Just tell a good story, even if it's a smaller story and without the brand names. Do it right and you'll make the audience care. And have faith that good word of mouth and just making good solid films will carry you to the end, even without the big superstar hero characters if need be.

IMHO, it's such an interesting and complex question - What if the masses saw Superman as a living God?

I know The Boys and Homelander sought to make a parody/satire out of that concept, but there are so many interesting questions about the raw human condition loaded into that concept. It's not just Superman himself that matters to the narrative, it's how the existence of Superman says something about the rest of us, those powerless, and how we react to that new truth.

“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” - Maya Angelou

^
That quote there, IMHO, says so much about the true impact of Superman on modern society. And how if the world governments cannot control him, then they'll persecute him. Instead of being grateful that Kent was raised to be a good man, that he's not like Homelander. Fighting Batman doesn't make Superman compelling. Having to justify himself to an ungrateful world around him, who cannot decide whether to fear him or love him, that's the kind of tragedy worth exploring. Just some thoughts.

1. Aquaman
2. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom
4. Birds of Prey
5. Black Adam
6. Blue Beetle
7. The Flash
8. Justice League
9. Man of Steel
10. Shazam!
11. Shazam! Fury of the Gods
12. Suicide Squad 2016
13. The Suicide Squad 2021
14. Wonder Woman
15. Wonder Woman 1984
16. Zack Snyder's Justice League
1. The Suicide Squad
2. Man of Steel
3. Shazam
4. Aquaman
16. The rest of them.

That was quite fun, although they are interchangeable to a greater degree and I prefer some films more than others despite how good I think they are objectively:

1. Aquaman
2. Wonder Woman
4. Man of Steel
5. Zack Snyder's Justice League
6. Suicide Squad 2016
7. The Suicide Squad 2021
8. The Flash
9. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom
10. Black Adam
11. Shazam!
12. Justice League
13. Wonder Woman 1984

Haven't seen due to having no interest:

Shazam! Fury of the Gods
Birds of Prey
Blue Beetle

1. Wonder Woman
  2. Man of Steel
  3. Snyder’s Justice League
  4. Batman v Superman Director’s Cut
  5. Shazam!
  6. Aquaman (forgettable but I remember thinking it was Blank Panther under the sea)
  7. Suicide Squad 2021
After that everything is a blur and sucked. I still haven’t seen Flash, Blue Beetle and probably won’t ever see Aquaman 2: the quest for more money.

Just saw Aquaman 2. Now I can finally give my ranking.

1. The Flash
2. Zack Snyder's Justice League
4. Man of Steel
5. Wonder Woman
6. Shazam!
8. Suicide Squad 2016
9. Aquaman
10. Shazam! Fury of the Gods
11. Wonder Woman 1984
12. Birds of Prey
13. Blue Beetle
14. Justice League
15. Black Adam
16. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom

Some of these I really need to rewatch and feel this list would change radically but right now:

Wonder Woman
Zack Snyder's Justice League
Shazam!
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Man of Steel
Black Adam
The Suicide Squad 2021
Birds of Prey
Aquaman
Suicide Squad 2016
The Flash
Justice League
Wonder Woman 1984

Haven’t seen yet:
Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom
Blue Beetle
Shazam! Fury of the Gods

Edit: Having said all that and seen Jeff Goldblum, the only ones I’m remotely keen on rewatching are MoS because I feel like I went into that hating it already and BvS. I doubt I will ever watch any of the others ever again and don’t have much desire to watch the ones I haven’t seen.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Man of steel was pretty ok I guess. Wonder women was fun. Uhhhh hmmm damn I really can’t think of anything good to say about these films rn

Man of Steel and Wonder Woman were the only great ones in my book.

BVS, Snydercut, Shazam, and Black Adam were fairly solid.

Everything else was completely forgettable.

Just saw Aquaman 2. Now I can finally give my ranking.

1. The Flash
2. Zack Snyder's Justice League
4. Man of Steel
5. Wonder Woman
6. Shazam!
8. Suicide Squad 2016
9. Aquaman
10. Shazam! Fury of the Gods
11. Wonder Woman 1984
12. Birds of Prey
13. Blue Beetle
14. Justice League
15. Black Adam
16. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom
I'd have the same top 5. Not necessarily that order but they're the only ones even worth considering IMO. And The Flash probably only makes it because of Keaton.

Huge DC fan growing up and the Animated Justice League was my gold standard for a shared DC universe hence why I think I didn't enjoy any of the DCEU films. I maybe kinda enjoyed the Flash and The Suicide Squad, I thought Shazam was entertaining and I enjoyed the esthetics of Affleck as Batman (the suit, Batcave, gadgets, all I like a lot) and ZSJL was quite cool but I'd rather read a book rather than waste 4 hours of rever rewatching that again and that's about it.

Pure speculation on my part but I always thought that people who were super obsessed with these movies never really saw the cartoon or perhaps weren't massive DC fans before as I always thought a lot of these movies missed the mark on characterization, especially the big two-- Batman and Supes but that's just my opinion. I've been told many, many times to go kill myself whenever I remotely criticize these films. :lol

Huge DC fan growing up and the Animated Justice League was my gold standard for a shared DC universe hence why I think I didn't enjoy any of the DCEU films. I maybe kinda enjoyed the Flash and The Suicide Squad, I thought Shazam was entertaining and I enjoyed the esthetics of Affleck as Batman (the suit, Batcave, gadgets, all I like a lot) and ZSJL was quite cool but I'd rather read a book rather than waste 4 hours of rever rewatching that again and that's about it.

Pure speculation on my part but I always thought that people who were super obsessed with these movies never really saw the cartoon or perhaps weren't massive DC fans before as I always thought a lot of these movies missed the mark on characterization, especially the big two-- Batman and Supes but that's just my opinion. I've been told many, many times to go kill myself whenever I remotely criticize these films. :lol
Yea the cult has been known to not take criticism well. I challenge them whenever they have a bad take and they never have good arguments. They just say “you didn’t understand it”

I've never been a fan of the comics. I loved Batman 66 and the first 3 Superman movies in the early 80s. I loved Keaton's Batman. I really liked Superman Returns and loved Nolan's trilogy. None of them though have come close to Snyder's trilogy for either character for me. Easily my favourite versions.
If it's any consultation I've been told the same when I defend the movies.

Yea the cult has been known to not take criticism well. I challenge them whenever they have a bad take and they never have good arguments. They just say “you didn’t understand it”

It's the same the other way around. You use the term cult, for people who disagree with you, it's hardly the moral high ground.
Rarely do I see a coherent argument against the movies that stack up to scrutiny.

Back