Worst Star Wars Dialogue of All Time (By Popular Demand)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes! I so totally agree! :clap

And that's why I really enjoy the interactions between Finn and Han in TFA. [...snip hilariously wrong opinions ;) ...]

From the opening post:

For this thread let's keep discussion of PT, OT, ST and/or the merits and deficits thereof out of it. That's in every 2nd Star Wars-related thread on this board (I'm guilty of it too) so let's leave those debates somewhere else.

I don't know who slipped first, but you really can't help yourself, can you?

[...] And yes I am aware that there are those who will counter and say that "Jake Skywalker" doesn't match with OT Luke or what have you but I'm fine accepting your wrong opinions on the matter and calling it a day. ;) :peace [...]

I hate you so much. :rotfl

Perfectly said! You may like hyperspace whales and Force Wolves, but I'm glad I can still relate to your perspective. ;)

In my defense regarding the Force Wolves the works of Hayao Miyazaki are some of my favorite ever and I absolutely love it when any aspects of his films appear in Star Wars.

Rey appearing as a scavenger straight out of Nausicaa, Trade Federation Landing Ships matching airships from Nausicaa as well, and then yes, the Mononoke-esque Force wolves. To me they "fit" within SW and are all welcome additions to the mythos.

CR2TqsGWoAAa89a.jpg

databank_tradefederationlandingship_01_169_00567a01.jpeg

ETAtW5zXQAAMsKQ.jpg

DN1gkWQX0AMJJ0G.jpg

As for the space whales, to me that's more traditional straight up SW stuff that sounds silly to say out loud but on screen does sync up in a universe that has already shown us giant space slugs. To each their own. :)

Seriously, this was so spot-on, and better than I could've framed it. Right on! :duff

:rock :duff

She was a duplicitous politician of course. George was looking to convey that even 'good' politicians are so alien to us regular folks (and the heroes of the OT) and he demonstrated that by having her speak in almost a nonsensical version of our language. [tries to keep a straight face... did they buy it]
:lol :lol :lol

One of the other points which helps sell the different eras is the PT aesthetic does differ between core and wealthier worlds like Coruscant and Naboo to the outer rim territories like Tatooine.

In the OT the difference was mainly between the three cores of rebels (dilapidated but functional tech, cobbled together to show the patchwork alliances and peoples that made up the rebellion) the empire (shiny, new, warlike, block colours, projecting power) and scum and villainy - however in ESB they intro'd cloud city. It's all mostly a lived in universe.

The ST just emulated the OT right down to the introduction of Canto Bite (the new cloud city). There was lack of originality (save for Exegal) and not featuring PT planets, Coruscant or any completely new planets (not just OT ones re-skinned with a different name but essentially the same as before, hey Jaku I'm looking at you) limited the world building.

I am very happy that the ship design is different and sleeker at the beginning of the PT. It helped convey a richer time where the look of a vehicle was chosen over its functionality (much like the older cars of the 60's and 70s). The clone wars led to a war like footing where the cheapest but most efficient designs took precedence with no time for the frills. It was this aesthetic which bled directly into the OT. George wanted the designs towards the end of AOTC and ROTS to naturally progress into the OT (the star destroyers are bigger versions of the clone cruisers and same again with the jedi starfighters).

Cheating a little but Mando is driving around in a PT vehicle ... well he was until recently.

The ST did not really intro new designs on the scale, either they lacked imagination or feared alienating the OT fans. They leaned heavily on X-wings (and later A-wings) with Tie fighters and Tie interceptors (sporting new red go faster paint markings). After 30 years you would have thought that these vehicles would be largely obsolete and replaced by new better designs. The economy of the galaxy should have been booming this far post the galactic war with the huge ship building corporations (Kaut Driveyards and whoever else survived the EU purge) developing new and 'improved' models and pumping them out to replace old stock. Even the resistance should have been able to get their hands on new tech. The one new ship they did put in the TLJ, the infamous bomber, looked like it was plucked out of a time even longer ago - why would you ditch the far more nimble y-wing for that!

These replies helped me understand, and I appreciate it. One of the key reasons you guys object to the dialogue is because it's part of a larger failure to create a distinctly different era of SW like the PT had done. You're okay with everyone's dialogue being different within that context, whereas I object because I think some of those characters (mainly Anakin) should've sounded closer to their OT dialogue.

When the PT came out, I found the attempt to create a uniquely different era as being a leap in logic. To me, the 20 years between the end of the PT and start of the OT wouldn't amount to a completely different galactic aesthetic (and dialogue). It's hard for me to believe that an entire galaxy would have such a dramatic shift in that span of time. In many ways, the Empire would've carried over governance methods from the old galactic senate, so the change to imperialism wouldn't explain the total "cultural" and aesthetic shift.

Just one example: in the OT, you don't see a single ship with the sleek design of nearly all of the PT vessels. That's a little like saying that you wouldn't see any cars from the 60's on the streets in the 80's. You'd think some (even if just a few) of those Old Republic era ships would carry over. Instead, 20 years seem closer to 200 to me when I'm considering how thoroughly different *everything* is.

I'm fine with the ST carrying over the OT aesthetic because that makes more sense to me. A *lot* more, actually. I don't think it's lazy, I just see it as consistent with logical progression.

Like you guys, I'd prefer the humor not be modern and MCU-like. But it doesn't bother me as much because I expect each generation to have a slightly different voice. Like I said before, it would only truly piss me off if it was Han, Luke, and Leia doing that. But, Poe, Finn, and Rey? I can accept that their generation would sound that way, rather than saying things like "look sister, I ain't in this..." the way Han did in the OT.

Thank you both for clarifying. :duff I do actually understand your objections better now, even if we still see it differently.

An area of agreement! :hi5: Finally! :lol

Some of these prequel fanatics really need to learn how to relax. Sure the PT has some of the worst dialogue in the history of cinema (and by far the worst in all of Star Wars) but if you'd chill out for a second you might realize that the fact that it is just *so* bad actually makes it some of the most fun dialogue to quote from all the movies, lol.

And just to show that I can poke fun at even my favorite SW films here's a line from RO from Jyn Erso herself that I always thought was goofy and awkwardly redundant:

"The Death Star plans are down there. Cassian, K2, and I will find them. We’ll find a way to find them."

Wait so just the act of finding the plans is now a two step process? Finding a WAY to find them and then finding them? "Milady we're here to find the plans, finding a way to find them is implied in our mandate." :) (see look I partially quoted AOTC right there) ;)

Also in TLJ all the repeated talk of lighting the spark that will light the fire that will burn the First Order after igniting the match that started the spark that fanned the flames--dude, we get it with the freaking fire metaphor now will you shut up and actually go fight the bad guys, lol.

Also in TLJ all the repeated talk of lighting the spark that will light the fire that will burn the First Order after igniting the match that started the spark that fanned the flames--dude, we get it with the freaking fire metaphor now will you shut up and actually go fight the bad guys, lol.

:lol :lol :lol

That is the most ridiculously drawn out metaphor.

Which reminds me that the ST also has the worst SW Prop in all the movies: the Goonies Calipers/Dagger

And the ST really needs better in-universe perjorative slang.

Nerf herder: Cool.

Moof milker and whoop hog: Stupid, lol.

At least the latter was thankfully left on the TLJ cutting room floor but I cringe every time I hear Ford utter the former.

You're right, it obviously should be, "Warm feelings to my heart, seeing you alive brings."

And while we're at it, another clanger:

5fkvav0zdxb01.jpg

That line is a perfect example of how badly the Clone wars handled Yoda?s odd speech.

I do not know how they come up with it, but it?s so much worse than anything in OT....

It?s like they made him a backward talking moron.....did did not speak backwardeeze all this time in OT, but since then, every single line he speaks is backward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"He told me enough. He told me you killed him"
"No that's not true, that's impossible"
"Nooooooooo! Nooooooo!"

:huh

The delivery was awful. Crap acting. I assume taking that into account is why some of these lines are being chosen....

Back