Worst Star Wars Dialogue of All Time (By Popular Demand)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the few times I liked Poe was that "who talks first" bit actually. The "hanging on the phone" bit in TLJ was just too Earth-today though.

I agree.. I actually kind of like the line.

I have the winner...

I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating...hoping that kiss will not become a scar.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yep. Don't matter how well you deliver that line. Its awful.

Or how bout "Luminous beings are we. Not this crude matter".

Nice try.

I don't think you understand the rules

:lol

Not a bad line exactly (clumsy perhaps) but I was felt that this one was delivered very badly in Return of the Jedi:

"This is a Rebel that surrendered to us. Although he denies it, I believe there may be more of them, and I request permission to conduct a further search of the area."

I think this is compounded by Carrie's scene before this one where she was really really struggling with her lines, first in her discussion with Luke in the Ewok village and then the following discussion with Han - those are prequel level bad (but they don't have the prequel funnies about them so less forgivable). It's this exchange:

HAN
Hey, what's goin' on?

Leia attempts to stifle her sobs and wipes her eyes.

LEIA
Nothing. I - just want to be alone for a little while.

HAN (angry)
Nothing? Come on, tell me. What's goin' on?

She looks up at him, struggling to control herself.

LEIA
I...I can't tell you.

HAN (loses his temper)
Did you tell Luke? Is that who you could tell?

LEIA
I...

HAN
Ahhh...

He starts to walk away, exasperated, then stops and walks back to her.

HAN
I'm sorry.

LEIA
Hold me.

Although prequel trilogy has a lot of bad lines and deliveries of them I can more easily forgive them. I think this is because they feel like they are deliberately crafting a general tone throughout all three films (slightly hammy lines being consistent in each instalment). To me, it seems like George wanted them to sound as if they were from a different time to the OT matched by the more opulent worldscapes around them (the core worlds only). The lines and delivery of them almost have a dumbed down shakespearian lilt to them or at least i think that is the vibe he was going for (I'm only really including the human characters in this not the gungans or dex haha). They are also so quotable whereas the bad lines in the OT just stick out.

The ST also has a lot of bad lines but most of this for me stems from the injection of modern day humour t (which does not feel star warsy) or Rose's idealistic preachy heavy stuff.

Although prequel trilogy has a lot of bad lines and deliveries of them I can more easily forgive them. I think this is because they feel like they are deliberately crafting a general tone throughout all three films (slightly hammy lines being consistent in each instalment). To me, it seems like George wanted them to sound as if they were from a different time to the OT matched by the more opulent worldscapes around them (the core worlds only). The lines and delivery of them almost have a dumbed down shakespearian lilt to them or at least i think that is the vibe he was going for (I'm only really including the human characters in this not the gungans or dex haha). They are also so quotable whereas the bad lines in the OT just stick out.

The ST also has a lot of bad lines but most of this for me stems from the injection of modern day humour t (which does not feel star warsy) or Rose's idealistic preachy heavy stuff.

Thanks, you just summed up my sentiments exactly!

I have the winner...

I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating...hoping that kiss will not become a scar.

Anakin loved insulting Padme while supposedly professing his love for her, lol.

"I hope that kiss you gave me doesn't become a scar."

"Wow it was that bad huh. Thanks."

"You're so beautiful."

"Because you're blinded by love?"

"Yep!"

:slap

One of the few times I liked Poe was that "who talks first" bit actually. The "hanging on the phone" bit in TLJ was just too Earth-today though.

Agreed. I thought it was rogue-ish and snarky and although surprising, it fit. Kinda like Leia sassing Tarkin and Vader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep the "who talks first" was definitely a good exchange that showed the audience that we were in for a fun SW movie again with humor that actually worked.

As much at the common groan lines from PT are known , this one is the most flat, horrid acting because they had to say this 19 year old trash lines to each other.

Anakin: You are so?beautiful.
Padme: It?s only because I?m so in love.
Anakin: No. No, it?s because I?m so in love with you.
Padme: Then love has blinded you?
Anakin: Well?that?s not exactly what I meant.
Padme: But it?s probably true.

This is total stupidly but also make me cringe with the reality that GL thinks this is romantic and how people talk to each other.

Yep the "who talks first" was definitely a good exchange that showed the audience that we were in for a fun SW movie again with humor that actually worked.

Nnnneehh for me that qualified as modern day humour as others have mentioned. Imagine Captain Antilles saying that to Vader back in 1977.

Nnnneehh for me that qualified as modern day humour as others have mentioned. Imagine Captain Antilles saying that to Vader back in 1977.

Stylistically, Star Wars has always been a mash-up so if you can walk that tightrope I think it's okay. Subjective opinion of course.

In ANH we had Princess Leia being very arch and aristocratic with Tarkin and Vader. She knew she was ****ed but told Tarkin he had a foul stench and called Vader his BDSM slave --- errr -- I mean leashed dog. Then we had Han talking like a '70s tough guy who could have been in any movie of the period, yet it worked.

I'm putting in for a big solid "Nooooooooo!" from Darth Vader in ROTS after finding out about Padme's death. I still remember sitting in the theater and slinking down in my seat when I heard that the first time and just a sinking feeling at how awful that was. I was genuinely embarrassed to be a Star Wars fan on that day.

As much at the common groan lines from PT are known , this one is the most flat, horrid acting because they had to say this 19 year old trash lines to each other.

Anakin: You are so?beautiful.
Padme: It?s only because I?m so in love.
Anakin: No. No, it?s because I?m so in love with you.
Padme: Then love has blinded you?
Anakin: Well?that?s not exactly what I meant.
Padme: But it?s probably true.

This is total stupidly but also make me cringe with the reality that GL thinks this is romantic and how people talk to each other.

haha these lines are definitely cringe but [puts prequel trilogy defence hat on] i think that part of the reason for it is because Anakin comes from an almost celibate monk like culture where relationships (and by extension sex... i'm guessing) is viewed as bad / forbidden. He is a teenager with all the usual sexual anxieties and hormone overload with zero experience in this field and no 'mentor' or any one he can talk to about it. So he speaks these things so earnestly with his emotions on his sleeve and Padme can literally run rings around him and as a result he keeps getting in a fuddle. He sounds like a character out of a Disney fairy tale declaring his love for her after very little social interaction and in some ways I think that is fitting for his character.

For fun try throwing some of these Anakin 'love lines' out there to a partner in real life. It can be quite difficult to string a series of Anakin prequel dialogue lines into real life situations / conversations with the same sincerity but not impossible. My wife has never seen the prequels but she did eventually get wise to it haha. I only found out yesterday that she has been using lines on me for Nottinghill for years without me knowing - i am but the learner and she is the master it would appear.

I don't know if you have seen the behind the scenes footage / interviews with Hayden on the AOTC and ROTS dvds but he is so into the character and star wars and the opportunity he has been given that it's really sad how the fanbase at the time treated him. He also deliberately altered the cadence of his voice and line delivery to emulate how JEJ delivers lines in the OT. Have a listen to how he says some things next time you re-watch with this in mind and it does become obvious once you know.

Stylistically, Star Wars has always been a mash-up so if you can walk that tightrope I think it's okay. Subjective opinion of course.

In ANH we had Princess Leia being very arch and aristocratic with Tarkin and Vader. She knew she was ****ed but told Tarkin he had a foul stench and called Vader his BDSM slave --- errr -- I mean leashed dog. Then we had Han talking like a '70s tough guy who could have been in any movie of the period, yet it worked.

Exactly. And they had current day Earth humor jokes sprinkled throughout that worked.

"Would someone get this big walking carpet out of my way?" (a reference to 70's shag carpet which doesn't exist anymore, nor did any carpet exist at all anywhere in the entire OT.)

And "would it help if I got out and pushed?" (a reference to pushing wheeled earth cars out of the snow which had no correlation in SW at the time)

Thanks, you just summed up my sentiments exactly!

I'm having trouble understanding the distinction, so I'm hoping one of you can elaborate.

The PT ended 19 or 20 years before the events of the OT.

The ST started 30 years after the events of the OT.

If the awkward PT dialogue is forgivable because it conveys a "different era" in the SW timeline (19-32 years pre-OT), how is the more modern dialogue of the new ST characters (30-31 years post-OT) not emblematic of *their* new era?

If you guys think that Luke, Leia, and Han were speaking much more "modern" dialogue than their OT versions, I totally get why you object. No question. But by your "different era" logic, shouldn't the younger ST generation sound different than the prior OT generation? The ST/OT time gap is equivalent to real-world 1950 versus 1980.

Keep in mind that most of the awkward PT dialogue was spoken by the guy who was supposed to be giving us Vader dialogue.

BTW, I vote for Vader's dubbed-in "NNOOOOO!!!" for the ROTJ blu-ray "special" edition. As unnecessary as it gets.

He also deliberately altered the cadence of his voice and line delivery to emulate how JEJ delivers lines in the OT. Have a listen to how he says some things next time you re-watch with this in mind and it does become obvious once you know.

Actually that?s something I noticed a while ago. You can draw a line between the two voice performances.

haha these lines are definitely cringe but [puts prequel trilogy defence hat on] i think that part of the reason for it is because Anakin comes from an almost celibate monk like culture where relationships (and by extension sex... i'm guessing) is viewed as bad / forbidden. He is a teenager with all the usual sexual anxieties and hormone overload with zero experience in this field and no 'mentor' or any one he can talk to about it. So he speaks these things so earnestly with his emotions on his sleeve and Padme can literally run rings around him and as a result he keeps getting in a fuddle. He sounds like a character out of a Disney fairy tale declaring his love for her after very little social interaction and in some ways I think that is fitting for his character.

For fun try throwing some of these Anakin 'love lines' out there to a partner in real life. It can be quite difficult to string a series of Anakin prequel dialogue lines into real life situations / conversations with the same sincerity but not impossible. My wife has never seen the prequels but she did eventually get wise to it haha. I only found out yesterday that she has been using lines on me for Nottinghill for years without me knowing - i am but the learner and she is the master it would appear.

So what is Padme's excuse??? :)

I don't know if you have seen the behind the scenes footage / interviews with Hayden on the AOTC and ROTS dvds but he is so into the character and star wars and the opportunity he has been given that it's really sad how the fanbase at the time treated him. He also deliberately altered the cadence of his voice and line delivery to emulate how JEJ delivers lines in the OT. Have a listen to how he says some things next time you re-watch with this in mind and it does become obvious once you know.

I often wondered if that was what HC was going for. Personally I think he failed.. But its good to know that it was something he was trying.. Better director could have helped him with that.

" Look sir..Droids" Sand Trooper

"Awww, I want to go to Toshie station..." that entire sequence of back and forth with Uncle Owen

Leia "I love you"... Han "I know..."

"you killed the younglings..." Pademe

"mine...mine...or I will help you not" Yoda

"free the slaves..." annoying droid from Solo...

"I hate this town..." Rose

"POE!" anytime Finn shouted at him "RAYYY!" close 2nd

Back