What Happens When Ten Young Individuals Watch HALLOWEEN For The First Time?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well maybe the people they screened Halloween for don't like those contemporary movies either? There are a lot of different reasons why these people wouldn't like Halloween, and Its really easy just to say " all these people are idiots" but that's a tad ignorant, imo. They may very well be idiots but the fact is we cant really know for sure.

This is not the first time older movies have been called slow or boring. I've heard the same said for Jaws and Friday, That was my point, besides these 10 people.

But I also have seen those who hate on older movies go crazy for "slow/boring" modern PG 13 movies....

so it really doesn't make any sense. I wasn't even talking about those 10 specific people. It's something that has bother me for a while now.
how can someone make fun of older movies but like the newer ones that are almost the same....:dunno

But Like I said, It probably has to do with the movies just being old, the way they look, the special effects the lack of CGI and the lack of famous young actors.

633216458.gif

I find it interesting to see this thread pop up. Last year there was a one off screening of Halloween in a cinema near me on Halloween night, so I jumped at the chance to see it as it would no doubt be my only chance to see it on the big screen. I went with my friend, her boyfriend and my girlfriend. And there were maybe about 10 other people there max. And just about everyone laughed the whole way through.

There was an older couple a few seats down from us that seemed to be enjoying it but everyone else was just laughing out loud at how bad it was. Me and my friend are huge fans of classic horror and both love Halloween but watching it with a group of people we kind of realised how bad the film just is. I still love it as a classic and as a film I watched as a kid and the impact it had on me and appreciate it for what it did for horror cinema but it made me realise all the bad points too. The terrible acting by most, the silly death scenes, the sex scene which is just ridiculous (the guys climbs on top, humps her twice then rolls off. Followed by "Amazing" "totally". Really?)

So yeah, while I can still enjoy the movie (I hope, not watched it since then) I can completely understand others, especially newer audiences, not liking it. And I'll probably only be able to watch it on my own in future. Just my two cents. Just found this interesting given my experience last Halloween.

I saw both Superman: The Movie and Gojira (1954 version without Raymond Burr) on the big screen about 10 years ago and lots of people were laughing at inappropriate times during those as well.

It was nice to see that everyone still appreciates Raiders though based on the reaction in my IMAX auditorium last year.

Yeah, there was no laughing at all, except during the actually funny scenes. Raiders is a pretty perfect movie.

I saw both Superman: The Movie and Gojira (1954 version without Raymond Burr) on the big screen about 10 years ago and lots of people were laughing at inappropriate times during those as well.

It was nice to see that everyone still appreciates Raiders though based on the reaction in my IMAX auditorium last year.

Laughing at Superman I can understand, it's pretty camp by today's standards, but I can't imagine laughing at Gojira. Everyone goes in knowing Godzilla is a man in a rubber suit so that shouldn't have caught anyone by surprise, and the rest of the movie has a very somber tone as one might expect from an allegory about the Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombings.

Laughing at Superman I can understand, it's pretty camp by today's standards, but I can't imagine laughing at Gojira. Everyone goes in knowing Godzilla is a man in a rubber suit so that shouldn't have caught anyone by surprise, and the rest of the movie has a very somber tone as one might expect from an allegory about the Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombings.

Agreed. I found it pretty annoying.

I have seen Halloween 1 and 2 countless times and they still scare me. :lol Simple shots like Michael quietly appearing under a street lamp and just standing there....with fog and darkness behind him...the theme song playing.....AHHHHH!!!! Creeps me the hell out! :lol They don't make horror movies like that anymore. *sigh* Kids these days don't know what they are missing.

I have seen Halloween 1 and 2 countless times and they still scare me. :lol Simple shots like Michael quietly appearing under a street lamp and just standing there....with fog and darkness behind him...the theme song playing.....AHHHHH!!!! Creeps me the hell out! :lol They don't make horror movies like that anymore. *sigh* Kids these days don't know what they are missing.

Simpler effects are always better. Him quietly sitting up behind Laurie was always my favorite shot in the film.

The part where Laurie is standing in the doorway and Michael's mask slowly materializes out of the darkness behind her is one of the spookiest scenes ever.

The part where Laurie is standing in the doorway and Michael's mask slowly materializes out of the darkness behind her is one of the spookiest scenes ever.

I agree. He just comes out of nowhere. In Halloween II there is a similar scene where you think you are seeing a dark closet or something and all of a sudden he is just there. I was born in 1986 and I have been an horror fan since 1996. I love the older movies because they focused on tension and building slowly to a scare. The new horror movies just up the gore and dead bodies.

Hell yeah! That was just awesome how the light slowly and faintly brightens just enough to reveal his mask.

Another I like is with Laurie sitting at the opening of the doorway, after having stabbed Michael in the eyes with a clothes hanger (closet scene). Without any background music, and complete silence, Michael rises and looks at Laurie.

Laurie-Strode-in-Halloween-Michael-Myers-Rises-Back-Up-2.jpg

I agree. He just comes out of nowhere. In Halloween II there is a similar scene where you think you are seeing a dark closet or something and all of a sudden he is just there. I was born in 1986 and I have been an horror fan since 1996. I love the older movies because they focused on tension and building slowly to a scare. The new horror movies just up the gore and dead bodies.

No doubt, and that's a shame because these movies with the ridiculous amounts of blood and gore do nothing to scare me.

This movie has never scared me, and never will scare me. But it's a damn good movie. I just watched it again today on Blu. I don't know if it's still effective, but it's just a lot of fun to watch. Masterfully crafted.

I find it interesting to see this thread pop up. Last year there was a one off screening of Halloween in a cinema near me on Halloween night, so I jumped at the chance to see it as it would no doubt be my only chance to see it on the big screen. I went with my friend, her boyfriend and my girlfriend. And there were maybe about 10 other people there max. And just about everyone laughed the whole way through.

There was an older couple a few seats down from us that seemed to be enjoying it but everyone else was just laughing out loud at how bad it was. Me and my friend are huge fans of classic horror and both love Halloween but watching it with a group of people we kind of realised how bad the film just is. I still love it as a classic and as a film I watched as a kid and the impact it had on me and appreciate it for what it did for horror cinema but it made me realise all the bad points too. The terrible acting by most, the silly death scenes, the sex scene which is just ridiculous (the guys climbs on top, humps her twice then rolls off. Followed by "Amazing" "totally". Really?)

So yeah, while I can still enjoy the movie (I hope, not watched it since then) I can completely understand others, especially newer audiences, not liking it. And I'll probably only be able to watch it on my own in future. Just my two cents. Just found this interesting given my experience last Halloween.

I'll have to watch this again just to know what you're talking about.

Teens are going to watch these stupid horrible cliche crappy movies like:
Prom Night, like When a Stranger Calls, the Strangers, Paranormal Activity, Open Water. I Know what you did Last Summer 2,

Yeah but stuff is always happening, bro.

Watched this for the first time a few days ago and thought it was terrible. I love seeing people bash modern day horror films and then hold crap like this up on a pedestal and call it a "classic". :rotfl

Must be nostalgia.

Back