Statue Weta Workshop Comic-Con Exclusive Thorin Oakenshield Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Weta Workshop Comic-Con Exclusive Thorin Statue

Surely it's all the same world, all the same..... franchise?

Yes, I agree FrodoEyes :wave

It's just a matter of finance. :(

For me, if finance allowers only for one or the other, then LOTR will be the one for me. :love

However, after I see The Hobbit movie/movies, that may change somewhat. :)

:duff
Bill

Here's my take on it all.

Click on the images for hi-res versions.

When the Hobbit film(s) where announced, many questions flew over the data wires. Who’s writing it, who will direct it, will Sir Ian McKellen return as Gandalf, is Ian Holm too old to reprise Bilbo and at one point, will it even happen at all?
All of these questions got answers but the question that every dedicated Lord of the Rings collector wanted to know, will Weta produce a range of 1/6th scale polystone statues? Took a little long to answer. At SDCC 2012, we got that answer... YES!!!!

On show for the first time was a new Gandalf and Bilbo statue, along with the first few of certainly 13 dwarfs, Bombur, Balin, Dwalin and their leader, Thorin. While this was mostly a preview, given that the first part of the Hobbit film was still almost 6 months away from showing and none could even be pre-ordered, one was available for sale as a SDCC exclusive right there, Thorin Oakenshield.

Yes master Pippin, it has begun.

Packaging – 3 and a half stars

In general the packaging for collectibles hasn’t changed for the past 10+ years and for the most part Thorin is much the same. Inside the brown shipper box is the fairly standard full colour art box showing some of the upcoming Hobbit items, including a polystone Gandalf statue without a hat. Normally that would go by with little notice, other than from those few saying that Gandalf really should have a hat. However, in this case, it has created a bit more of a discussion, given that the Gandalf statue shown at SDCC, has a hat. So right now only a wise wizard and someone at Weta knows the story. No doubt we will hear more at a later date.
Inside is the usual stryofoam protective packaging, however, in this case one needs to be on the lookout for a much smaller Weta logo near the top, as rather than all of the statue being between the two main half’s of the stryofoam, the base is in fact on the ‘outside’ with a extra bit foam taped in place over the top. I’m sure this isn’t anything really new, but it is the first time I think I’ve seen it in Weta’s line of collectibles, or at least the ones I have.

Thorin Packaging by theguru1, on Flickr

Sculpture – 4 and a half stars

Over the years, Weta are known for caring about details. Even if it’s something that barely shows up in HD on a freeze frame, let alone details on the inside of items that only the actors ever see or know are there. This passion for detail continues in the Thorin statue, from the fine fur of the coat to the sharp lines of his chest armour to the very small text runes on the sword that most would never notice and no one would ever miss if they just weren’t there.
In the tradition of maintaining a consistent over all display, just like the LOTR statues have the map of Middle-Earth etched into the top of the base. For the Hobbit, we have ‘Thorins’ map etched on the base.

Thorin Front by theguru1, on Flickr

Paint Application – 4 stars

The paint work on any high priced, limited edition collectible is usually make or break for the final quality of any item. Given the individual, all be it assembly line, hand painted nature of the statues, variations can and do occur. Resulting in some turning out that bit better than others.
Rating the paint work on my Thorin statue isn’t as easy as you’d expect. To call it poor would be a great disservice, and yet at the same time to consider it perfect would be to gloss over a couple of issues.
Over all the paint work is certainly very good, the application is clean, with no real splash or smears around areas and fine area’s like the fur on the coat and boots helps to bring out the sculpted detail. The Oak shield and general armour all look very real with quality weathering, while the wood inlay on the scabbard looks completely real (and there’s a chance that it actually is).
The issues mostly revolve around two things. The bracers, area around the knee’s and the blue jacket/tunic are all generally rather soft in what looks like a bit too much paint thickly applied. It’s very possible this will match up better with the actual film and turn out to be correct. But as it stands, when looking at the statue, these more soft areas tend to stand out a fair bit against all the more clean and sharply defined areas.
The other issue, which could mostly just be specific to mine, was a couple of very small concave spots in the hair that just didn’t have any brown paint.

Thorin Closeup by theguru1, on Flickr

Thorin Back by theguru1, on Flickr

Extras – 4 stars

As an ‘exclusive edition’, the Thorin statue doesn’t technically have any extras, what you see is what you get. However, given that an ‘open edition’ version is expected to go up for sale on the Weta website around October, then there are a couple of reasonable extras included.
It could be said that Thorin Oakenshield isn’t really Thorin without his ‘Oaken Shield’ and this is what’s included with the exclusive edition, partly hidden under his coat on his lower left side. In addition to the shield, only 700 statues have been made that include this and just to make things even more ‘exclusive’, you can only buy this at SDCC 2012 (as such, your too late, since the event is over), RingCon (5-7 October, Germany) and the Weta Cave in New Zealand. Hence, while the open edition will be available for sale from various shops and websites, the only place to get the exclusive is in person at those 3 locations.

Thorin Side by theguru1, on Flickr

Final Word

As the first in the long expected statue line from Weta, Thorin is either a solid start for a collection by those that missed out 10 years ago. Or a fine continuation of one’s existing Lord of the Rings collection that will all display as a single cohesive group from all 5 films. While one can debate the virtues of starting a line with an exclusive that can only be purchased in person, it is still well worth getting for recommended pricing and if eBay prices are just too much, then there’s always the open edition.

Packaging – 3 and a half stars
Sculpture – 4 and a half stars
Paint Application – 4 stars
Extras – 4 stars

Overall - 4 stars

Name: Thorin Oakenshield Exclusive Edition with shield
Manufacturer: Weta
Edition Size: 700 EE
Price: $249 USD Exclusive Edition
Availability: July 2012
Distributors: SDCC 2012, Ringcon 2012, Weta Cave

Nice job. I need to review this for torn sometime this week. Not to mention figure out where I'm gonna put it. Collection rearrange time. :lol

Last edited:
Here's just a few of my shots before we post the review for this in the near future.

IMG_5594.jpg

IMG_5605.jpg

IMG_5672-1.jpg

IMG_5697.jpg

IMG_5577.jpg

Nice review & photos of Thorin, theguru1 and Josh. We are proud owners of this awesome statue! Yay, theguru1, two Thorins are in Oz! :clap
This is a really nice statue by Weta. I can't find any flaws in it. :) :yess:

We are proud owners for sure. A fantastic statue and a great way to start off this line of collectibles. I'm ready for the film and more collectibles for sure. :rock

I love the design for Orcrist Weta came up with. Even the sheath looks awsome. Can't wait till they release it as a 1:1 scale. Next to sting it would dazzle :google

Looks great and fits right in with the SSW pieces, I'm so pleased Weta decided to go with the map base and keep everything tied in and neat. I sold most of my SSW collection over the past few years but seeing the new Hobbit statues is making me want to pick them up again.

Back