Weta Workshop 2016 Black Friday Sale. Nov. 24th-Nov. 28th

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woot, Balrog shipped. Should have both at the end of this week, :yess:
Can't complain to much with Weta, I originally ordered the Balrog when it first went up for PO, then they did that added discount later and people cancelled to get more savings. I cancelled my order.
Same thing happened with Smaug (full size) and I ate it on that. At least this time I got it for less than half of msrp.

Up next will be Battle Troll, then Grond (which according to the Udun forum has some time yet for PO)

My hobbit holes shipped. Not big items but still excited. I've been wanting to get into the line. Probably will pick a couple more environments up for the tree this year to go with them.

I bought the Uruk-Hai statue a while back and I gotta tell ya, it's a thing of beauty. When you get it in hand I think you're going to realize it's the hidden gem in the Weta line-up.

It's great, picked it up from UPS today. Lots of nice minute detail and they eyes are piercing. This is my second figurative piece from Weta (after Thror) and my first orc. It's pieces like this that really show what this scale is all about.

Balrog tomorrow!

they only have "real" sales on blackfridays - once a year that's it and only on pieces they have plenty left. So it's no guarantee. Price for smaug is good but not great, i still bought it - been wanting it for a while.

i think going forward i will only buy anything from weta on blackfridays, their stuff never seem to sell out anymore. Feeling silly i paid full price on all those hobbit 1/6 statues earlier when i could gotten them for 15% off at minimum.

Love a sale but always figure a sale like that, if you need a replacement you may be out of luck because stock gone. Missed a hobbit hole I wanted, but waiting on another one and the Smaug bust. Own the full-size Smaug and IMO it's worth every penny, just a classic statue w. huge character:love. Hope the bust is just as mind-blowing.

Got email saying the golbert manmelter i won during reverse auction is being cancelled because they are out of stock. I got it at pretty low price - around $250+shipping for a $690 retail. I replied questioning how it can be out of stock when they still have it for sale on the website from EU/NZ warehouse. And within 1 minute the weta dude replied again saying it's out of stock and their product team is updating all the inventories.

Now i always like to give people benefit of the doubt, but this sounds very shady for me, especially for such a reputable company.

1) How the heck do you not check inventory before putting up the reverse auction, and it's all automated meaning as soon as the quantity allocated are sold noone can order anymore. Makes no sense.

2) Do they really think i am so stupid as to believe literally the minute i told them the item is still in stock with screenshot, their product team just happen to be updating this item and turned it to out of stock by coincidence? And their website order/inventory is all linked, so as soon as it sells out it will automatically flip - it was showing in stock.

The item itself is not a big deal i got it because it looked nice, but this whole dishonest shady operation is what really gets me. If you are not willing to sell the item for the low price the reverse auction went for then dont put it up so low. But once it's sold you should honor your OWN auction, just like ebay forces all sellers to, and any other auction house.

Very lame of weta, lost a lot of respect for that company

EDIT: i just checked right now 11:45AM EST and it's back IN STOCK at full price. So dishonest.

Got email saying the golbert manmelter i won during reverse auction is being cancelled because they are out of stock. I got it at pretty low price - around $250+shipping for a $690 retail. I replied questioning how it can be out of stock when they still have it for sale on the website from EU/NZ warehouse. And within 1 minute the weta dude replied again saying it's out of stock and their product team is updating all the inventories.

Now i always like to give people benefit of the doubt, but this sounds very shady for me, especially for such a reputable company.

1) How the heck do you not check inventory before putting up the reverse auction, and it's all automated meaning as soon as the quantity allocated are sold noone can order anymore. Makes no sense.

2) Do they really think i am so stupid as to believe literally the minute i told them the item is still in stock with screenshot, their product team just happen to be updating this item and turned it to out of stock by coincidence? And their website order/inventory is all linked, so as soon as it sells out it will automatically flip - it was showing in stock.

The item itself is not a big deal i got it because it looked nice, but this whole dishonest shady operation is what really gets me. If you are not willing to sell the item for the low price the reverse auction went for then dont put it up so low. But once it's sold you should honor your OWN auction, just like ebay forces all sellers to, and any other auction house.

EDIT: i just checked right now 11:45AM EST and it's back IN STOCK at full price. So dishonest.

Oh man that's terrible. I'm so sorry to hear that they are usually never like that at all.

I watchd that auction too, considered buying but held off.

I would post your complaint on the Udun forum to see what response you get. Sorry man, that does suck big time.

It sucks that you had the order cancelled. I agree that inventory should have been checked before the auction was held. I actually think it is out of stock now though. It does say on the product page that it's shipping from EU and NZ but if you put it in your cart it says there that it's out of stock and you can't go through the checkout procedure. It may of course come back in stock later but I have seen this "out of stock" message in the cart with a few other items as well, the new webshop has been a little buggy since it came live and it seems the Black Friday onslaught may have made things worse...

Balrog arrived today and while I'm not blown away with it, I do think it's a decent representation. I like the overall sculpt and size. I can understand why some think it has an awkward pose. Weakest part is the production paint app. The fire plume sculpt I always thought looked really good and the proto paint app looks great (as it should, just like Smaug full size), but the paint on mine is less than what it should be(?), or could look better I guess. Not horrible, but even my wife mentioned that specifically. For what I paid, I could sell this if I wanted/needed to at a discounted $ and still make a little bread, so I can't complain on that end.

I'm sure the flame effect is harder to pull off than most types of paint apps, but if weta could deliver better more consistent paint apps, figures like this would sell better (even possibly at the asking $). This is the same way I feel about Smaug. I now own both and am glad to have them in my collection despite what I just mentioned. And maybe sometimes it's hit and miss... I just need to get my airbrushing skills back up.

I'd give Balrog 3/5. With a better paint app easily 4 or 5/5.
Uruk-Hai swordsman gets a 5/5 easy.

That is the reason I sold my Balrog. I could live with the odd pose, but the paint killed it for me(not really the fire effect on his back, that was livable too, just overall didn't care for the app). The JV art canvas is enough for me.

That is the reason I sold my Balrog. I could live with the odd pose, but the paint killed it for me(not really the fire effect on his back, that was livable too, just overall didn't care for the app). The JV art canvas is enough for me.

That's part of the reason I was so on the fence for a while, all in hand images I've seen vary. But the price I paid takes out a lot of the "sting" so as is it's worth what I paid for it. All the more reason to get a new air compressor and start painting again.

Get my smaug bust, i´m verry happy about this beautiful peace of art for a good price on black friday !

That's part of the reason I was so on the fence for a while, all in hand images I've seen vary. But the price I paid takes out a lot of the "sting" so as is it's worth what I paid for it. All the more reason to get a new air compressor and start painting again.

Yea, I hear you, it is still a nice piece, but some paintwork would go a long way to helping it. For that low of a price it ended up a good deal. I was going to do some paintwork to my SS LSB, but ended up selling that too.

Got both my hobbit holes in. Both very nicely done especially 35. Gandalf cutting is a good one too. Definitely want to pick up more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Back