Trevor Grove's Firefly Sculpts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Trevor's Firefly Sculpts

Well...I finally got my boots together for my MAL...Trevor does some GREAT work. I don't do a ton of painting but I will tell you this..

WHEN YOU HAVE A GREAT SCULPT AND AN IMMACULATE CAST, PAINTING GOES SO MUCH EASIER...

30316d15a7d3f12cdb241cb89380c6779035b15f.jpg

Enjoy....

Chad
SMCG

Wow, those boots are sick! In, you know, the cool "street" definition of the word sick... :monkey3

Nice job!! :clap

Hey guys/gals, quick update. Mal body came today, have boots, but need to paint. I think I ordered the wrong ones also. :( Have pants and waiting on a different shirt. Also have a set of suspenders that need to be attached to pants. :) I have a regular duster coat right now, as I can't seem to get a hold of Chad.
You know, even with the wrong duster, the wrong boots, the wrong colored shirt, I can see this coming together. I don't even have the head or rig yet, but yeah, I can see Mal as I was dressing my doll. Oh wait, that sounds bad. I was attiring my action figure. :)

jon

I ordered the newline German officer boots, but with buckle. They are riding boots and look like cowboy boots. The thing I really don't like about them is they have white stitching all around them. They only had one pair left, so I saw German officer boots and bought them right away. I think they will work, I just need to paint them brown and than you won't see the white stitching. Hope that makes sense.
jon

Got some Dino's for Wash. He wasn't complete without them. I am posting two with different lighting. My camera is expensive AND a piece of crap. Go figure.

DSCN1503.jpg

DSCN1507.jpg

Last edited:

looks sweeet, BG! Wash has ended up being one of my favorites from this project, and yours looks fantastic! What amazing good fortune that there have been dinosaurs in scale!

Chad- yours boots are painted to perfection.

I've been gathering reference in my free time of Sean Maher and Summer Glau, so I hope to start them soon!

Trev

Wash looks great BG, where did you find the dino's at? I looked on ebay, but there are so many and I'm not sure what scale they are. Not talented enough like OG, to make my own. :)

jon

Hey BJV, I've replaced the Dinos I made with some that were closer to scale and looked a hell a of lot better. I found them on eBay. I just checked and the ones I bought are no longer listed. I also bought some from Michael's, but they were a bit to big in my estimation. If you want I'll send you a pair and you can check them out. They are almost as large as mine were.

Old Grandpa

I have some random Dinos left over if people want some. PM me.

You guys are great. I should probably concentrate on getting bodies before accessories. :)
Also, I have done some research but could use any help/advice/tutorial on how to swap a head. Boil and pop or hair dryer? Re-attaching new head, super glue or epoxy? This makes me extremely nervous. I don't have a lot of faith in my custom skills, even a simple head swap.

jon

Big Jon,
I do have you on the secondary list of Firefly items...you still just wanted the MAL duster correct? I know that was the biggest item you were looking to find....

Chad
SMCG

If you are doing Mal, put him on an older wider shouldered truetype. I think it works better with the size of the head and the fit of the clothes.

Wash looks great BG, where did you find the dino's at? I looked on ebay, but there are so many and I'm not sure what scale they are. Not talented enough like OG, to make my own. :)

jon

The Dino's are hard to find because the average is around 3" which is too large for a 1/6 figure. But these are under an inch. I can help you out Jon, will pm you! I have some left over.

You guys are great. I should probably concentrate on getting bodies before accessories. :)
Also, I have done some research but could use any help/advice/tutorial on how to swap a head. Boil and pop or hair dryer? Re-attaching new head, super glue or epoxy? This makes me extremely nervous. I don't have a lot of faith in my custom skills, even a simple head swap.

jon

I prefer hair dryer over boiling and I've done it many times. Just put the hair dryer on the hottest setting and keep it as close to the head as possible without burning your fingers that are holding it. Move the hair dryer around the neck area (all the way around) and keep doing that. I'd say a couple of minutes will do it. Put the hair dryer down. Give it a good pull. If it seems like it's still too stuck, turn the hair dryer back on. Do it for another minute or so. Do not be afraid to give it a pull. Once I was pulling off hands and I pulled so hard the arm came off, but it was at the joint, so it was meant to pop off. You more than likely will not break anything.

To attach a new head, you do not need super glue. If you send it to the painter we spoke about, he can drill out the head for you to fit on the body you're using. Talk to him about it. All it takes is a snap right on. Super easy, no need to heat up, etc.

And also, for a Mal duster, if you like mine, contact him as well. He did a damn good job and the material is fabulous. And he's a very fair guy to deal with.

Does anyone know where I could get my hands on some German Indy pants for my Mal custom? Ive been searching all over the internet for a pair and its driving me crazy.

Does anyone know where I could get my hands on some German Indy pants for my Mal custom? Ive been searching all over the internet for a pair and its driving me crazy.

I think you'll be better off with a pair of trousers from Battle Gear Toys. The Indie pants are almost impossible to find.
(battlegeartoys.com) Civil War Trousers Lt.Butternut (CW-BR-70-03) and add the brown stripe.

Old Grandpa

Big Jon,
I do have you on the secondary list of Firefly items...you still just wanted the MAL duster correct? I know that was the biggest item you were looking to find....

Chad
SMCG

Hey Chad, yes that was my biggest concern at the moment. Thanks for helping me out.

Jon

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to Trevor as I received my heads yesterday. :) I don't have the words to express the gratitude I feel for Trevor for making these and for the rest of you, for helping me out.
Thank you all,
jon

Back