Trevor Grove's Firefly Sculpts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Trevor's Firefly Sculpts

I might just have to do that (use BW boots) .... not my first choice. I'm wondering if Male "Explorer Boots" I see on e-bay would fit ?
JERMS !!!

I have the Josh Randall "Wanted Dear or Alive" figure, and the gun with Josh is WAY to big to work with Zoe. Shamm is right. A good 30% to large all around. Our best bet is the gun Anzik is working on.

Old Grandpa

Thanks for the tip, oh well....:slap

How long is the Dead or Alive gun. By my calcs it should be 4 inches to be in scale (the one used in the movie was 24 inches). The stevo rig looks to small in the pics I have seen. Just by the pics the Dead or Alive gun looks closer to the correct length, is it really longer than 5 inches? (that would put it 30% to big). Anyway I guess I'll find out soon enough :) Can you tell I really wanted that rig to work?

I am also wondering if there was a different gun used for the movies and the show...Sometimes the gun looks tiny, somtimes not. Most likely it's just the type of lens used to film the shot. Wide angle lenses with the gun further from the camera would make it appear small, normal lens with the gun closer could make it seem bigger.

Maybe you typically have to make some things smaller than the math would suggest to make it seem more realistic. The Actor who played Zoe is nearly 6ft tall, so right around 12 nches in 1/6 scale so the gun should be 1/3 of her height. I am probably over thinking all of this.

How about the rig with the Dead or alive gun is that useable for Zoe? If I could use the body (for maybe Wash) and the rig and then get the gun being made here that might still make it worth while, but that is probably asking to much :pray:

Thanks for the tip, oh well....:slap

How long is the Dead or Alive gun. By my calcs it should be 4 inches to be in scale (the one used in the movie was 24 inches). The stevo rig looks to small in the pics I have seen. Just by the pics the Dead or Alive gun looks closer to the correct length, is it really longer than 5 inches? (that would put it 30% to big). Anyway I guess I'll find out soon enough :) Can you tell I really wanted that rig to work?

How about the rig with the Dead or alive gun is that usable for Zoe? If I could use the body (for maybe Wash) and the rig and then get the gun being made here that might still make it worth while, but that is probably asking to much :pray:

The Josh Randall Mares Leg is 4 1/4" long. The pleather rig with it is not the quality you'd want on Zoe. It has a definite plastic look to it and it will not holster the gun, and the Randall gun is way to large to fit in Stevos holster. I'm so very used to seeing Stevos gun on Zoe that the Randall gun just looks big to me. When you get the Randall fig, you might find a way to make it work that I didn't see.

Old Grandpa

I know you want it to work, I did too. Lol With Zoe, she looks like a kid carrying it. It's simply too large.

Got Kaylee her tools today. Put a couple in her pockets too, and got Book's bible. A few other things as well but need to put them together.

DSCN1500.jpg

DSCN1501.jpg

Got Kaylee her tools today. Put a couple in her pockets too, and got Book's bible. A few other things as well but need to put them together.

DSCN1500.jpg

DSCN1501.jpg

Great accessories... they give your figure nice touch. Didn't think about getting a 1:6 scale bible for Book. The only 1:6 scale book I have currently has "VAMPYR" written on it.

Thanks OG for the info. I'll see what I can think of when I have the Triad figure in hand. But I'm guessing if u guys couldn't make it work I won't be able to think of anything.

Another question, just how long is the stevo mares leg?

Thanks OG for the info. I'll see what I can think of when I have the Triad figure in hand. But I'm guessing if u guys couldn't make it work I won't be able to think of anything.

Another question, just how long is the stevo mares leg?

Yo Tuck, Zoes Mares Leg is 3 1/4" long.

Old Grandpa

Great accessories... they give your figure nice touch. Didn't think about getting a 1:6 scale bible for Book. The only 1:6 scale book I have currently has "VAMPYR" written on it.

Thank you! I think it really added a lot. Each of them should have a bit of their character with them, not just their clothes, so I am happy with the turn out.
We have another bible, it's white but can easily be painted if anyone is interested. Let me know. First to PM me inside the usa is tha winnaaaa. :panic:

Did Wash ever wear an army-green jumpsuit? found a good one in my parts bin, thinking about swapping out when I get chad's hawaiin shirt.

Yup, he did wear a green jumpsuit. Do a quick Google pic search for "firefly wash pics" and you should find an example pretty easily.

I've been taking liberties with mine as well. My Wash for example, has white sleeves instead of brown and a green vest rather than a black one. When I put them all together with the orange jump suit, the figure just clicked for me, color-wise. I did have plans initially to dye or paint both the white undershirt and vest to make him more screen accurate but now I don't think so. My Wash is from the never shot second season premiere episode. :exactly: :exactly: :exactly:

You're absolutely right Proto, as I've said before, The only person you have to please is your self. HT has to please thousands, and be as screen accurate as possible. You don't. These figures are made for you, by you, and when they click for you, BINGO!!!

Old Grandpa

Got the Triad Toys Josh Randall today and yup the Mare's leg is just too big like everyone said. I could easily cut down the barrel length a bit, and that would help, but the back half of the gun is where the extra length is and it's circumference is to big as well.

I may still shorten it a bit and see how that looks. The barrel is easy enough to knock some length off and I can shave off a bit of the gun just behind the barrel as well. I can also remove some length from the butt pretty easily. That won't solve the "chunkiness" but it might be worth it just to see. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I'll probably just go ahead ad order stevos rig and the gun being made here just in case :)

I think I'll give a go to trying to weather the rig that came with the Josh figure as well. Anyone have suggestions for weathering a pleather rig? Painting techniques? sanding?

You're absolutely right Proto, as I've said before, The only person you have to please is your self. HT has to please thousands, and be as screen accurate as possible. You don't. These figures are made for you, by you, and when they click for you, BINGO!!!

Old Grandpa

I second that! I've been collecting/customizing for long enough that I have a few boxes full of spare parts and random clothes, and sometimes I'm happy enough to find something that just captures the "feel" of a character. (Of course, as Chad knows very well, plenty of other times I need exactly the right thing, and am happy to pay for it.)

Also: maybe because I got into this hobby before all the Hot Toys stuff became so popular, I'm less picky about the bodies. I don't pose these guys in any super difficult dramatic poses -- you can do a lot with a Dragon body that you can pick up on Monkey Depot for eight to ten bucks. My Jayne is on an old Soldiers of the World body, which is bulkier and taller, and gives a nice contrast to the other figures. Bought it at Wal Mart a few years ago for five or ten bucks.

First attempt at casting the guns crashed and burned. I have to go get some new resin tomorrow.

Back