MY COLLECTION | Star Wars - 1977: "The Original First 12"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1977_StarWars

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Oh, what started it all!

About 5-years ago, my son and I had about a half hour to kill one afternoon waiting for my wife and we wandered into a small comic/toy store. We're walking around just browsing and we both stumbled upon a half pieced together, pretty shabby, STAR WARS First 12-Display stand with most of the wrong figures on it. I was time-warped back to 1977 all over again and for him he was criticizing how terribly incorrect the display looked and how they were disrespecting the franchise. My heart filled with pride and that launched our quest to begin building our collection together :)

Hours, days, weeks and dare I say months were spent on the internet researching and ebay auctions ending at all times of the day and night looking for the perfect figures. WOW - there is alot of junk and fakes out there we quickly discovered. This would be harder than we thought, but it would be a marathon for us, not a sprint. Lots of rules were decided:

- Vintage 1977-1985 only
- NO REPRODUCTIONS!
- Complete figures only (accessories added later would always leave a greater question of authenticity)
- Loose figures; we wanted to display them a specific way & enjoy handling them (with gloves, of course)
- Find as near mint as possible

With these rules governing us, the hunt began to collect the "First 12", and if you succeed in collecting a beautiful set they have to be displayed properly with the "Original Mail-Away Kenner Stand". Yes, I sent in proof of purchase seals and I think $2 way back in the late 1970's to get an original one. If you read my introduction post, you will discover the tragic fate it succumbed to - OH THE HORROR!

And of course, if you're mission is successful in acquiring this amazing collection, you can't have dust or dirty hands tainting your treasure. So, thanks to more research we found the perfect acrylic display case as it's final home to go with on a shelf. The 12-figures you see in the attached pics were not all of our first finds - over the last 5-year's we have continued to upgrade the 12 as we find better and cleaner versions of them. If you look closely you will see a "Small Head Han Solo" and a "Hollow Cheek Tube Tusken Raider/SandPerson".

IMG_6533.jpg

"If you are going to collect - do it excessively", we say.

Many more of our collection posts to follow, because you just can't stop at 12 :)

Your thoughts and feedback are always welcome - MTFBWY

Attachments

• IMG_6529.jpg
    IMG_6529.jpg
    917.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6534.jpg
    IMG_6534.jpg
    719.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6530.jpg
    IMG_6530.jpg
    761 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6531.jpg
    IMG_6531.jpg
    747.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6532.jpg
    IMG_6532.jpg
    714.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
There is something so satisfying about seeing original owner pics of their OT 12, especially on the display stand.
I had more of an OT 9, who didn't fare as well ( never had a full set or the display stand), Chewie was half eaten by the dog, and I lost most accessories, and capes, yet I did save them despite their worn condition, (never replaced or updated with repros), they are as is, played with and loved.

Last edited:
There is something so satisfying about seeing original owner pics of their OT 12, especially on the display stand.
I had more of an OT 9, who didn't faire as well ( never had a full set or the display stand), Chewie was half eaten by the dog, and I lost most accessories, and capes, yet I did save them as is to this day. They were played with and loved.
What is it about Chewbacca? I kid u not, my best friend’s dog ate his and my Chewbacca when we were kids - LOL

You totally get the feeling, it was a glorious moment when my son and I were finally able to piece all of this together on the stand, with an original back graphic, inside the acrylic case to protect everything :)

Back