The Thing Remake

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedric72

Super Freak
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone has heard of this yet but apparently we're getting a remake of the classic horror sci-fi 'The Thing'.
Aussie actor Joel Edgerton is set to play the main character and some guy by the name of (I hope I get his right) Matthijs Van Heijningen is set to direct. Never heard of him!
I'm not to sure about this idea, the classic from 1982 with Kurt Russell still holds up today with all of the suspense it has. The only 'thing' that this remake would have over the old one is maybe better special effects. That doesn't necessarily make a better movie.
With John Carpenter directing the last one, Matthijs has big shoes to fill.
Just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
This ins't a remake I think, its a prequel set on the Norwegian base that had the problems prior to the others catching the Dog.

Yeh sorry, John Carpenter, Always get the 2 mixed up. Fixed.
I'm with Darkness, a remake would fail. But a prequel may be interesting.

Last edited:
Seconded. The original remake of the Thing still stands up quite well even by today's standards, as long as you ignore the chess computer and Let's Make a Deal on VHS. However, a prequel detailing what happened at the Norwegian camp would be interesting.

My only concern is that we already know pretty much what happened - they found, excavated and later attempted to blow up the spaceship, presumably after the alien found in the ice thawed out and started killing their team members. Two of them managed to survive and hunted down the Thing from a helicopter, Sarah Palin-style. :gun

Given the right story, I think the prequel idea could work. It'd be even better if they went old school on the effects so it would make for a nice segway into John Carpenter's The Thing, but I know they'll go the CGI route.

directors today need to realize that just because you can create thing CGI doesn't mean that you should put it in everything

I really loved John Carpentars take on it. I think it would be hard to top it. It would really have to be done well.

I'd like to see a prequel. JC's The thing is one of my favorite movies.

The Star Wars prequels being the perfect example of relying too much on CG.

I'm not a massive SW fan but I was watching one of the prequels yesterday and was amazed at how many scenes were using CG that in no way needed it.

directors today need to realize that just because you can create thing CGI doesn't mean that you should put it in everything
This is true.
I'd like to see a prequel. JC's The thing is one of my favorite movies.

I'm not a massive SW fan but I was watching one of the prequels yesterday and was amazed at how many scenes were using CG that in no way needed it.

Agree with you. How hard is it to make a bunch of clone armor suits and just get random people to wear them on screen.....hell people do this for free at conventions, they'd jizz in their pants if Lucas offered them the chance to wear their armor on the screen for 5 seconds.

A prequel I am somewhat interested in. A remake I am not. John Carpenter's version was brilliant, and still is, especially in high def.

SLiTHER had the best combo if practical, and CGI. They used both tools well, and it worked. Theres some stuff you just cant do without CGI, and theres stuff that you could do with Practical, that'll look better.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/rT7AH4JyuNs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/rT7AH4JyuNs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

A prequel might work, but I'm not to sure about Joel Edgerton playing the lead role. I've seen better actors. I remember him playing Uncle Owen in the Star Wars prequels. A cardboard cutout would have done just as good a job.

Last edited:
Back