The Thing Remake

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's definitely a prequel, not a remake.

i'm starting to get worried with the mandatory (by studio demand) addition of american characters in a norwegian camp. now, i've nothing against americans of course, but WHY do these idiot studio execs always feel the need to patronize the audience?

if the film must be in spoken english, and it has to of course, then why bother with the whole prequel-with-norwegians approach? why not just make it a sequel with american (or native english-speaking) characters? the advantage is also that it'll be a whole new setup and we won't know who dies and who lives. we know that pretty much all the norwegians didn't make it. kinda takes the tension away.

Yep, a sequel would have been better. We may have even been given the answer to whether MacReady and Childs survive after the ending of the last one.
Geez, even bring back the two characters for the sequel! Or at least MacReady.

They could have used the story from the videogame for a pretty compelling sequel. If you haven't played it, it's about a search and rescue team that arrives in Antarctica to find the missing US Research team. Early on, you find Childs' body frozen to death in the burned-out building where he and MacReady lay after the base exploded, but Mac's nowhere to be found. A massive search eventually leads back to the Norwegian base and a huge underground lab, with lots of shooting and gore along the way. Cut to the chase - at the end of the game, you are rescued by a helicopter piloted by MacReady, who then assists you in fighting off the giant Thing boss.

So, am I the only one who prefers the ORIGINAL Howard Hawks version?...PS

It was decent enough for its time, but Carpenter's version simply buries it. The musical score alone is enough to raise the hairs on the back of your neck. And then you've got some outstanding performances by all the actors, some incredible location shooting and pretty outstanding special effects (for the time) and the movie is a winner on all fronts.

Yeh, the part where they are all roped to the seat to have the blood test is one of my all time favourite scenes.
The suspense was incredible!

Spray on snow? Wimps!

really................and probably a bunch of cgi as well....:banghead

thats what i think i love most about the 1st remake (mainly animatronics...sp?)..... :love

love that movie so i will watch this with an open mind as well.

Not a very good photo but aparently the first poster shown according to bloody disgusting.

thingposter.jpg

Sorry if it's already been poster , it's been on there for a little while by the looks of it.

It was decent enough for its time, but Carpenter's version simply buries it. The musical score alone is enough to raise the hairs on the back of your neck. And then you've got some outstanding performances by all the actors, some incredible location shooting and pretty outstanding special effects (for the time) and the movie is a winner on all fronts.

:goodpost::goodpost: That's how I feel. The original is what it is, but the Carpenter version just owns every aspect of it. I feel the same about Halloween.

~~I also loved the Xbox game, and was hoping it would spike interest in another movie...just not a remake.

Back