"The Predator" by Shane Black (2018)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I remember right (my brain's trying to forget) - all the exposition about twinkies, climate change, Preds invading the planet, Preds harvesting DNA was solely down to Munn & Traeger’s observations/conclusions. So - all guesswork on their part.

Very true. None of the Predators actually confirm any of the agents' theories so if anyone hates how they changed the "mythos" then you can just assume that the humans were talking out of their asses and had no clue what was really going on. Maybe the Fugitive Predator wanted to wear the Predator Killer suit to kill his rivals and the humans just assumed he was bringing it to them.

Even in P2 Keyes was very confident that Predators could only see in Infrared but obviously in reality he had no clue.

Last edited:
2 different idea paths that I think could have been better choices for the script.

1 - A faction of predators have begun upgrading themselves with other species DNA to evolve as hunters causing a civil war as traditional predators view this as dishonorable and therefore the war breaks out and as the traditional predators are getting their asses handed to them seek out an alliance with humans as humans are the only prey that's been able to outwit Predators. Upgrade predator tracks last few predators to earth to exterminate and recover technology and rest plays out.

2 - Predator race has decided to plan invasion of Earth as new home world and is soon going to exterminate the human race. However, some predators go against this plan wanting to save the human race for the sole purpose of being some of the most worthy prey. Kind of like a hunter does not want its favorite prey to go extinct. Therefore, a special weapon is designed to deliver to humans to aide in repelling the invasion. Fugitive predator is being hunted by Assassin predator to recover special weapon before it falls into human hands and eliminate the traitor predator.

I watched P2 last night on a whim. Never understood the hate for it, it was a great sequel imho. It just confirmed that I don't care for the new story mythos/direction. Same way I'm displeased with what is being done to Alien. Never thought I'd say the same about Predator.

I just cringed watching P2 as he gets shot multiple times in the chest by a shotgun and all you see is flat painted yellow blood on his chest where the gaping holes are supposed to be yikes not good.

I watched P2 last night on a whim. Never understood the hate for it, it was a great sequel imho. It just confirmed that I don't care for the new story mythos/direction. Same way I'm displeased with what is being done to Alien. Never thought I'd say the same about Predator.

Yeah - it's a classic for sure.

Don't worry about the latest aberration - enjoy the bits that were good - the BS stuff (see my previous post above) will all get forgotten or excused away as the ramblings of idiots.

NEXT one - we'll be back to business as usual (I've heard rumours it's about a predator clan that hunts down bad Hollywood scriptwriters and their enablers . . . )

Still doing OK apparently . . .

2018-09-23_The_Predator_-_Box_Office_worldwide_summary.jpg

He draws reasonable conclusions.

The prequel novel (which is darn good by the way) shows the antagonistic relationship between Woodhurst & Traeger - so I would have liked to have seen Edward James Olmos' character "off" Sterling K Brown's. Would have been a nice bit of payback for Traeger's sleazy/manipulative behaviour in both the novel AND the movie.

Having said that - the overall ideas for both the original 3rd act AND the one we got BOTH suck.

This also emphasises just how much BS was coming from Black and the studios about the reshoots.

Thanks for sharing :hi5:

Might be slowing down. Returns on the second Friday dropped nearly 70%. May need to make quite a bit over the initial budget to account for the marketing costs too.

I expect the DVD / Blu-Ray sales will bolster things a bit.

I think the marketing is included in the budget provided (don't know for sure though).

Someone was claiming they would need a worldwide gross of 300 million to break even - I don't think that's right, but I honestly have no idea how to use the figures for gross ticket sales + eventual DVD/Blu-Ray sales + streaming sales to come up with a "break even" point.

Maybe there's an "average" that can be applied to estimate break-even point? :dunno

I expect the DVD / Blu-Ray sales will bolster things a bit.

I think the marketing is included in the budget provided (don't know for sure though).

Someone was claiming they would need a worldwide gross of 300 million to break even - I don't think that's right, but I honestly have no idea how to use the figures for gross ticket sales + eventual DVD/Blu-Ray sales + streaming sales to come up with a "break even" point.

Maybe there's an "average" that can be applied to estimate break-even point? :dunno

Usual rule of thumb is to multiply the budget by two. Could be more in some cases, could be less in others. Either way, I'd be surprised if this turns a real profit. Maybe it'll break even, but Fox won't be happy.

Usual rule of thumb is to multiply the budget by two. Could be more in some cases, could be less in others. Either way, I'd be surprised if this turns a real profit. Maybe it'll break even, but Fox won't be happy.

Agreed. They only have themselves to blame. Whoever greenlit the script should be fired - but they'll doubtless slime their way out of it and find other excuses/scapegoats.

This movie was F@#$ing terrible!! 2 hours of my life I'll never get back. :mad:
On the other hand if you like B-grade comedies I highly recommend it!! :wink1:

We all facepalmed at the pics of those guys in the tank and now we all wish they'd been left in 'because **** it', it could hardly have been much worse. Maybe it would even have been better.

We all facepalmed at the pics of those guys in the tank and now we all wish they'd been left in 'because **** it', it could hardly have been much worse. Maybe it would even have been better.

Forget the Snyder cut for Justice League, we need to push for the Tanker Preds cut! :lecture

I would say there's a 90% chance we'll get these from Neca later. Then jye can buy them and then they fall on his head from the shelf because they'll have the a-dev curse of short left leg syndrome. :lol

Back