The Mandalorian (Star Wars Live Action Series)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Star Wars live action series-Jon Favreau's THE MANDALORIAN

:lol :lol

I don't care whose armor you put Boba Fred in. When Vader needed the six biggest badass gunslingers in the galaxy did he call Fred? Nope. :lecture

And Fett himself isn't even Top 6 he's Vader's *Top 1* go-to guy according to the HS cartoon. Sorry Fred.

All right I've said my piece on the matter for now so I'll let others who are excited about this series have their fun.

EDIT: lol at "Corellian Smugglers with Black Vests and Blue Slacks with Red Stripes and their Wookiee Companions that Work For Jabba"

Last edited:

:lol

I just don't get Fett love from reasonable people. But I don't begrudge it. :duff

Memba when he fell in a hole and died, followed by a queef?

Ermagod Fett!!!! :lol

In all honesty I loved me some EU Fett back in the day but as I've let that stuff slip out of my data banks I find onscreen Fett pretty dull.

Bubba Fred FTW!

Wow, I can't believe how quickly this is moving!

Eh, I'm fine with another Mandalorian. I like the new armor design too. The only thing I question is that so, this guy is supposed to be a good guy? Is he going to be like the Man with No Name? Is he going to be a reluctant good guy? An Equalizer kind of gun for hire that will get hired by oppressed people? I don't know enough about Mandalorians to know if there are good guys or bad guys, so this new guy just happens to be a good guy.

I just don't get Fett love from reasonable people. But I don't begrudge it. :duff

In all honesty I loved me some EU Fett back in the day but as I've let that stuff slip out of my data banks I find onscreen Fett pretty dull.

Bubba Fred FTW!

Now you're sounding like someone who first watched the OT as a marathon on VHS. Say it ain't so! ;)

Fett was awesome for almost *half a decade* before the Sarlacc Pit ever came along. First the awesome 12 inch Kenner doll and Holiday Special toon in 1979, then ESB, then two additional years after ESB where he was really cemented as a badass icon of the Saga. If you write him off for his lame portrayal in ROTJ then you might as well write off other badasses who were lame in ROTJ like Han and Vader. :lecture

Now you're sounding like someone who first watched the OT as a marathon on VHS. Say it ain't so! ;)

Fett was awesome for almost *half a decade* before the Sarlacc Pit ever came along. First the awesome 12 inch Kenner doll and Holiday Special toon in 1979, then ESB, then two additional years after ESB where he was really cemented as a badass icon of the Saga. If you write him off for his lame portrayal in ROTJ then you might as well write off other badasses who were lame in ROTJ like Han and Vader. :lecture

How dare you! :lol

I only really remember Empire in theaters but I saw them all. mid 70s baby.

I loved my mailaway Fett.

My 12" Fett had his arm chopped off by the kid up the street.

I honestly never even considered him much (other than being one of the cooler looking characters who didn't do much) until around the POTF2 era when the old SW bear came out of hibernation and they put him and his braids and his little cape on lenticular comic covers and said he was baddest of the bad.

:dunno

How dare you! :lol

Lol, I knew you were an original fan but I couldn't resist. :lol

As for Fett no he wasn't greatly developed as a character but he looked cool, sounded cool, and did cool things in the best SW movie ever, had an awesome Sergio Leone mystique and made for multiple awesome toys as well. A true icon of sci-fi/fantasy. IMO of course because I know that the "overhyped" label has been assigned to him for quite a good number of years now but mostly I see it mentioned by those who either saw ROTJ first or watched all the movies together so were never able to take him as a character pre-ROTJ.

I would have been fine seeing him on a team of badasses in the PT since that was his original backstory but Lucas obviously blew that chance.

I guess I'll be the wet blanket.

I like the look of the armor but if that's some new character and not Fett then it's a thumbs down from me. I've never liked the idea of multiple Mandalorians running around with his signature armor that was designed from the ground up for him alone. It's just lazy, uninspired, and further dilutes the character IMO. When ESB came out he was the last survivor of an elite "supercommando" force and they should have always left it at that.

I don't need kids and/or collectors referring to Fett as if he's just another specialty "Predator."

"Did you see the new City Hunter Mandalorian? Desert Mandalorian? Fugitive? Or their respective dads?"

Lame. Imagine if it turned out that Vader's armor was some off the shelf uniform that they started giving to multiple characters. Yes it looks cool. Yes Jango looked cool and so does this new guy. Because Fett looked cool. The disrespect and exploitation of his character since 1983 continues.

*Unless* that's actually him. Then I'll joining in on the "hell yeahs" with everyone else.

I agree with this one million percent.

Most of my childhood experience of SW had way more to do with the scenarios I’d imagine for my action figures than the actual movies. If plot details were not pictured on a Burger King glass they got hazy. :lol

Bubba Fred FTW!

:thud:

Boba Fett's limited time on screen in ESB was used to maximum effect. It was perfect! It was the quintessential example of how subtlety and mystery can be used to define a character as a true badass without needing over-exposition, or going out of your way to show the audience how "cool" a character is.

• He's ruthless. How do we know this? Because of the implication behind Vader stopping in front of Fett to remind him "No disintegrations." His reputation precedes him.
  • He's respected. How so? Because not only was he one of Vader's chosen bounty hunters, but Vader's interactions with him contrast with how Vader dealt with others. The "He's no good to me dead" line probably would have earned a different response from Vader coming from anyone else.
  • He's cunning. When Luke arrives at Bespin, Fett is walking by to take frozen Han to Slave I. You can see him give a slight and measured look in Luke's direction - but he never breaks stride. So, you'd think Luke successfully evaded Fett's notice. But Fett hid around the corner waiting for Luke to move forward before lining up a shot (only missed because of Luke's Jedi reflexes ;)).
  • He's strategic. I think having Boba anticipate Han's "float the Falcon away with the garbage" is preposterous bull****, but having him track Han and give Vader the advance notice of where the Falcon was headed establishes Fett's logic and wits without beating the audience over the head with it through unnecessary dialogue or explanation.
We get to learn enough about him through context clues and subtleties, but no specific background info is given (or needed). He retains a mysterious quality while having essential characterization points defined seamlessly in the larger story. It was a perfect character to wonder about and want more stories for. And Boba Fett in ESB is such a stark contrast to so many over-explained and over-used secondary characters of today's movies.

I’m not disputing your facts. Just saying I was 8 and he followed the Falcon and called Darth Vader. He didn’t make much of an impression and I wasn’t looking to read to much into it.

And I thought he was cool enough. I just don’t get any feels about his “legacy” as a character.

Understood. And, yeah, the legacy aspect is built more on the costume and the action figure.

Boba Fett's limited time on screen in ESB was used to maximum effect. It was perfect! It was the quintessential example of how subtlety and mystery can be used to define a character as a true badass without needing over-exposition, or going out of your way to show the audience how "cool" a character is.

• He's ruthless. How do we know this? Because of the implication behind Vader stopping in front of Fett to remind him "No disintegrations." His reputation precedes him.
  • He's respected. How so? Because not only was he one of Vader's chosen bounty hunters, but Vader's interactions with him contrast with how Vader dealt with others. The "He's no good to me dead" line probably would have earned a different response from Vader coming from anyone else.
  • He's cunning. When Luke arrives at Bespin, Fett is walking by to take frozen Han to Slave I. You can see him give a slight and measured look in Luke's direction - but he never breaks stride. So, you'd think Luke successfully evaded Fett's notice. But Fett hid around the corner waiting for Luke to move forward before lining up a shot (only missed because of Luke's Jedi reflexes ;)).
  • He's strategic. I think having Boba anticipate Han's "float the Falcon away with the garbage" is preposterous bull****, but having him track Han and give Vader the advance notice of where the Falcon was headed establishes Fett's logic and wits without beating the audience over the head with it through unnecessary dialogue or explanation.
We get to learn enough about him through context clues and subtleties, but no specific background info is given (or needed). He retains a mysterious quality while having essential characterization points defined seamlessly in the larger story. It was a perfect character to wonder about and want more stories for. And Boba Fett in ESB is such a stark contrast to so many over-explained and over-used secondary characters of today's movies.

Yes! Well said.

Fett also had Vader's respect. When Vader exits the torture room, Lando makes it known that he'd like to have a word with the Dark Lord, but Vader simply blows passed him and instead goes straight to Fett to give him an update. When does Vader give anyone an update or explanation? He even lets Fett hang with him in the front row at Han's freezing test.

Here’s Junkion watching Fett in ESB...

giphy.gif

The only thing I remember about Boba Fett is his crappy death in ROTJ.

Given the time period in which it’s set, and the fact Boba was resurrected at least twice in the old EU, I’m betting it’ll be him, but it won’t be confirmed till the end of season one (or later).

Until then he’ll be The Mandalorian (With No Name), suffering amnesia from his ordeal in the Sarlacc (as first shown in the old Marvel SW series).

4xhM7FK.jpg

Last edited:

This might be one of my favorite posts of all time. We said. Still hopeful “The Mandalorian” will be Fett when all’s said and done.

Make him like Benicio del Toro in the Sicario movies.
tenor.gif

Last edited:
Back