The Force Awakens - Figure discussion (with SPOILERS!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One post earlier mentioned Rey vs Luke pre-force. Rey definitely had more focus and patience. Plus she was scaling around in a crashed star destroyer. She also proved she was selfless by not selling BB8. Plus she took care of the guys that tried jumping her. To me she showed more Jedi traits than Luke ever did.

Sent from my LGLK430 using Tapatalk

Either way - who cares what anyone else thinks - as long as people enjoyed it, the prequels, originals... whatever. To each his own.

Yeah, just because some people don't like the prequels doesn't mean people who do need to justify theirs and outright nags how OT wasn't perfect. We get it it's not, we just enjoyed it way more than the PT.

You know what, you're a juvenile with the emotional maturity of a 3 year old. Why waste your breath with an immature statement like that?

Let it go, and (as usual), agree to disagree.

Says the guy who ends the conversation with "End of discussion." And then laughs in my face when I was 100% right. Okay.

One post earlier mentioned Rey vs Luke pre-force. Rey definitely had more focus and patience. Plus she was scaling around in a crashed star destroyer. She also proved she was selfless by not selling BB8. Plus she took care of the guys that tried jumping her. To me she showed more Jedi traits than Luke ever did.

Sent from my LGLK430 using Tapatalk

I agree she was more focussed and patient, although Luke had some unseen prowess - 'bullseying womp rats' in his T16.

The thread title says Spoilers (yet people are using Spoiler tags) so I'm going to predict freely.

I think Rey is Luke's daughter, I mean it was pretty heavy-handed even with her putting on what looked to be Luke's old X-Wing helmet on while just decompressing on Jakku and the whole lightsaber calling to her, etc. Not to mention the whole "The Force is strong in my family" wasn't used (then again it could have been a cut scene referring to Kylo/Ben.) What I think will happen is that the person who dropped off Rey is her mother and she hasn't seen him since then. That she didn't know that her father was Luke Skywalker as they were trying to keep her safe. I mean Snoke seems to have it in for Luke so it'd make sense if he had children that they'd be hidden and it'd be a nice history repeating itself. That Snoke was such a threat that Luke couldn't risk him knowing that he had children because he'd come after them and so Rey could have never met her father but that her mother was watching over her and when Luke seemed to have lost again Snoke and the First Order, that a signal was sent to hide her. I wouldn't even be shocked if we got a "Your father will return for you, just be a good girl" kind of flashback that set up the tally marks. It sets up a conflict for the two to be handled from here on out.

I'm convinced Rey is Obi-Wan Kenobi's granddaughter. There was a rumour about it before the part was cast.

The Force Awakens is something new in my experience. It had a TON of things wrong with it... and it was still great. The three hero characters radiated optimism, and were every bit as engaging as the original trio from ANH. It's just a shame they kept Poe Dameron apart from Rey and Finn for much of the movie. I want to know everything about them - where they've come from and where they're going.

I'm Mister Critical - the story was derivative and awkward, the action scenes didn't thrill me, even the settings looked far too earthlike - but after one viewing I'm completely invested in the new trilogy.

I'm just bemused by anyone arguing about this film. It was poor AND it was great.

This. The universe-building was bad (no context to the overall setting, no sense of a massive universe, it lacked a breezing moment like the training scene in the falcon in ANH to let the relation between Rey and Han blossom more naturally and make me feel like the galaxy is big), the story was a mess; not only is it nostalgia driven (I like my themes to be consistent from one trilogy to the next, I do not want the same thing from specific plot points), it is also filled with unexplained events that seems to only be there because it's a convenient way to advance the plot (I'm sure a lot of them will be explained later. I don't care, I like my stories to be good by themselves AND as part of a group, not just the later), the action was pretty awesome but as far as the big battles were concerned I did not especially care or feel any tension, and despite all that, I still felt it was a great film. Probably because it's a character piece, and everything including the story is at their service, and god were the characters awesome. I just can't wait to see the movie a second time, and to see the next adventures of our new heroes (also more Phasma please, she has been humiliated, it's a perfect motivation for her character)

While I'm at it: as far as the Rey/Ren fight is concerned that's my take on it:

It only took Luke knowing that he could use the force, some time and a blindfold to be able to to use it to blindly deflect laser shots. Which showed that you actually didn't need experience to guide your movements if the force could do it for you, at least as long as you're not up against another fighter which has both experience and the support of the force (I'll come back to that). Rey had an awakening when touching the lightsaber, she was made aware that she could use the force and like Luke when he was blindfolded, it only took her some time and a few attempts to use her new-found power.
Now Luke was kind of different, he had been raised by Owen and was always thinking in term of "cannot do" as Yoda discovered later. That's what he had to unlearn. Obviously Rey is not of the same mind, she's more open and when she learned that she was force sensitive she didn't start thinking about the limits of her powers. She just used them, more and more. When wielding the lightsaber, she can trust her feeling to find a way to victory so she don't need to have proficient traning in this specific type of weapon, she only needs to have the overall physical ability to execute the movements her instincts tells her to make, and she's most definitely physically impressive. I'm not entirely sure if the admission that she had been definitely abandoned has something to do with her rapid awakening, I might have missed something about that.

Now Kylo Ren is another beast entirely. Ren is powerful in the force too, as he likes to show (off) with the exuberant use of his powers (rather than using the path of least resistance and sending back the laser, he freezes it for a minute). He does that because he has no confidence. He can't even convince himself that he's a Sith. A true Sith uses their emotion to fuel their power, but Ren let his emotion control him. That's why as soon as he met any kind of significant opposition, his powerful use of the force crumble, he's not attuned with the force at all, not even with the dark side because he can't use his emotions properly. He can use his pride and wrath to freeze a laser bolt because there is no worthwhile opposition of any kind but as soon as a Force user appears, all his insecurities comes back and he's left crippled. Ren is unstable mess. That's why even with all his (assumed) training, he couldn't win against someone attuned with the force. It's what Yoda said in ESB "For my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is" and not "for my ally is my lightsaber and intense fencing training..."

Like I said earlier, I don't believe training is completely useless. First, you still need to have the physical ability to execute the movements fast enough. Then, if you're facing someone as attuned as you are with the force, the training may give you an additional layer (not sure how it works at that point, I don't think I have enough canon material to judge).

Ok, we get it, you didn't like it. But why feel sorry for the people that did? To each his own. I have a close friend who loves episodes 1-3 which I personally think are very mediocre films. Not just as star wars films but as films period.

No need to come act like a martyr and feel sorry for the people that actually liked the film.

Every time something negative was brought out, there bound to be one that will come up with their own theory and defend it. And most of the time it doesn't even make sense. I find it intriguing on how they always are able to come up with something every single time.

I agree that the past movies are mediocre, but the amount of hype and all the things that are marketed for TFA really made me hope that it would made me felt like a kid again which sadly, didn't happen.

All my complains are about how they handle characters and universe we are truly understand about throughout the years, all down the drain with one movie. Or would I say "The trash compactor?", the way they handle that line was crap and random which isn't funny at all.

There just isn't any magic in this.

*either way, I enjoyed the prequels. All of it, good for me but yeah. That's mediocre at it's finest.

Every time something negative was brought out, there bound to be one that will come up with their own theory and defend it. And most of the time it doesn't even make sense. I find it intriguing on how they always are able to come up with something every single time.

I agree that the past movies are mediocre, but the amount of hype and all the things that are marketed for TFA really made me hope that it would made me felt like a kid again which sadly, didn't happen.

All my complains are about how they handle characters and universe we are truly understand about throughout the years, all down the drain with one movie. Or would I say "The trash compactor?", the way they handle that line was crap and random which isn't funny at all.

There just isn't any magic in this.

*either way, I enjoyed the prequels. All of it, good for me but yeah. That's mediocre at it's finest.

No magic lol ?
Why don't you go ask a child if it had magic

For whatever reason I haven't participated in this thread at all...but have people been pointing out how ridiculously good the reviews are? It's up to 270 reviews with a 95% fresh rate.

If it breaks more box office records I expect a Movie of the Year oscar nom similar to when Avatar got one.

For whatever reason I haven't participated in this thread at all...but have people been pointing out how ridiculously good the reviews are? It's up to 270 reviews with a 95% fresh rate.

If it breaks more box office records I expect a Movie of the Year oscar nom similar to when Avatar got one.

Try again without "Star Wars" in the title.

I found Kylo Ren's REAL father....
92406acc3892bd84b22562b91080d28c.jpg

8906a7c15a07b6ad497e64153da72d8c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one thing I hated the most is the way they handle Han's death.

They shouldn't have reveal that Han is Kylo's father that early. (When Snoke goes "Blar blar blar, your father." He should have just stopped there.) And I somewhat knew that Han is going to get stabbed during a hug scene.

Kylo should not have removed his mask that early when he mentions about Vader as his grandfather, that would make everyone think that he is either Luke's or Leia's son.

Then the scene where Han calls out Ben could be the highlight of the movie! And this should be the moment Kylo reveals his face.

Nah, I think that is needed for Han's send off. You have to know the character first, so the earlier the better to build up that relationship. Everyone knew anyway, so it was only a matter of time before the audience figured it out. At the end, there was already the revelation of his name. Adding the unmasking and father/son relationship as a quadruple banger would have unbalanced the story telling.

Han is the old man in this movie. Parallels Obi-Wan and his Master/Student relationship. That new generation watching this is seeing it like we did Episode IV, seeing A new Hope, not knowing that Obi-wan and Vader knew each other till the duel? I'd rather not.

Anyway I think I can see what you mean about the magic. I'm on the same mind, but I loved the movie and everything they did in it. Abrams and his team would have thought about all these things, so I also trust what they've done. Just that I think Phantom Menace has more of that "magic". Episode 1 and 4 had that sense everything hinged on what they did, the galaxy depended on it. Every obstacle they encountered was also stack up with further obstacles. Each jeopardy building to the tension. Didn't feel it happened as much with TFA. Particularly the space battle at the end Po wasn't a big enough character to follow in space. Hmmm, BB8 was though right, did he blow up?

Maybe it was the score, but I'm thinking maybe it was because yet again overwhelmed by just being Star Wars I missed it. I mean I was so excited I forgot to read the scroll, I read Luke Skywalked and my mind went racing. And I missed Kylo being trained by Luke...

...oh yeah and I guess I was just coming off the death of one of our all time heroes. One that doesn't comeback like Captain America and usually you never know the fates of Heroes. Yeah I must'a been distracted.

Kylo dropped a line to Rey during one face off where he gave her a dig for her absentee father. I think he knows Rey is Skywalker's daughter and that they are cousins.

I still don't get why Kylo is obsessed with Vader when Vader redeemed himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just saw it too, decent movie but couldn't help be a bit disappointed. I figured Han wouldn't make it to the end, mainly due to Ford pushing this film so hard and knowing his past feelings of the character. Guess I would've liked to see the character ride off in the sunset one last time or at least go out saving Rey. Was also disappointed in the cookie cut plot from the first film and how this film makes it feel that the OT heroes that fought for so much basically all became failures. Hope to at least get a Solo figure out of this license to honor the character since the movie seemed to gloss right by it

What are you talking about? Han sacrificed himself to prevent fully losing his son to the dark side. Ben told him he had to do it and to have done it himself would have pushed him over the edge completely to the dark. Han ignited the lightsaber to save Ben from having to do it. Its not unlike the Emperor pushing Luke to kill his father. I guess that's kind of the ultimate test for the dark side. Had Han not died, who knows what punishment Snoke would have handed down on Ben. Sacrificing himself bought Ben more time. Han went out a hero, doing whatever he could to save his son - which is what Ford wanted for the character in the end.

Back