Modern Military Figures - Q & A Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyAndFight

©Fly, All rights reserved
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I have recently returned to modern military figures at a neck-breaking pace and have noticed that I may not be the only one... :wink1:

I have seen some very good discussions regarding the hobby in certain specific figure threads which may end up being missed by readers or lost once those figure threads slide back a page or more. So I created this thread for us to use for general discussions, questions and information on the plethora of modern military figures in general and not necessarily specific to certain figures. This can include the different manufacturers and online shops making and selling them. Basically anything, in general. There are a number of fellow Freaks that have some very good knowledge on this genre and I just wanted to make sure that it is available to the rest of us.

I'll start with the availability of some figures or rather, the scarcity of some figures, even if fairly recently released. There are some that were released just a year or so ago and already hard to find and selling for considerably more in the secondary market. I pretty much have written those off and will await the inevitable "similar but with some different accessories" releases to come. The other option would be to custom bash something similar with available loose items.

One thing that I'm quickly trying to learn are the quality from the different companies manufacturing these figures. I've noticed that DAMTOYS has become the front-running leader and unfortunately, their prices are rising faster than Hot Toy's... Easy & Simple appears to be the up and coming company, nipping at the heels of DAMTOYS but not quite there yet. Pricing has remained "reasonable" but also slowly rising. Soldier Story were the top dogs (and some may still consider them so) but their releases have slowed down considerably. Mini-Times seems to provide a mixed bag of releases, closer to E&S than DAMTOYS, but appear to be more niche. There are several other smaller manufacturers providing weapons and/or accessories.

Modern military figures is definitely something I would get into if I had more disposable toy money and space. I feel like the quality and detail is there, they honestly look cooler than the Disney stuff Hot Toys is pumping out.

I recently got the Dam Toys Marine Corps saw gunner urban warfare exercises (Terry Crews). Mainly because I like the actor but I’ve noticed Dam Toys has been using the likeness of certain actors. Which may be attracting more buyers..

The brutal spikes in shipping costs in general are going to have a domino impact in the entire cost structure of the military side of the hobby.

I only see two paths that are viable for the long term.

The first is the military side of the hobby shifts almost entirely towards 1/12th scale. You lose some detail and functionality but you reduce the overall foot print ( Lots of collectors just run out of space) and it's cheaper on every level. The problem there is smaller scales are forced into a cloth versus plastic trade off for parts. Should you make a cloth set up or just use a cheaper plastic set up.

As prices go up, interesting parts get trapped into more and more expensive sets. The Kel Tec shotgun inside the John Wick HT set is pretty cool, but that was a 250-ish range MSRP set. So the loose parts pricing has to change, which drives more collectors out of the hobby. Military 1/6th exploded in the old days not just because it was new and the pricing was more forgiving, but also there was a much more varied loose parts market to support different flavors of collectors. This is not a knock on the dealers who have managed to survive this long, they aren't in control of a lot of this and they are just trying to make a living, but price points sometimes for 60 bucks for a single rifle is going to make some people depart.

The changes in Ebay haven't helped. Ebay used to be very robust for secondary market stuff. Now the format seems extremely punitive to the smaller level hobbyists/part time seller.

Price points have gone up, that's part of the equation, but access points from the past have disappeared.

The truth is, I probably have, like a lot of modern military collectors, enough stored gear to keep kitbashing the rest of my life without adding in more stuff. The new stuff is really amazing, the quality has taken so many leaps in the years I was gone, but the hobby has likely been bleeding a lot of the older collector base.

The 2nd path I see happening is more and more uniform/gear sets minus the nude figure and traditional boxed set format. There's a fair argument the surviving brands won't do that because it's not profitable, carded sets were never designed to be profitable on their own, mostly it was a way to reuse molds from gear in previous boxed sets and maximize your investment in that R and D. A fair argument can be made a nice balanced 100 dollar uniform/weapons set will sell more readily than a 200 range boxed set.

Sadly, I think we might see that if the modern side collapses. Off brand will just reuse existing molds and templates and pump out lesser quality stuff at more forgiving price points, like Very Hot Toys used to do.

One thing I would like to see in existing boxed sets is more use of the current packaging. I really liked what Hasbro did with Sigma Six. The "clamshell" that supported the outer packaging ended up being a storage/utility case for the figure/set. The packaging could offer more value if it could be cut up and designed to offer more diorama possibilities, while also some "Cut/Fold/Paste" type paper items. Magazines, cigarette cartons, ammo boxes, MRE boxes, etc, etc.

But much of this was predictable in some ways. Without a "feeder system" in standard brick and mortars to get younger people into 1/6th military, the pipeline of future fans/collectors was going to choke out a bit. The theme and tone just isn't PC in some ways for modern culture. In that regard, the question remains if Hasbro GI Joe kind of failed this side of the hobby overall. They had the scale to dramatically change the way people collect and participate in military 1/6th.

I’m approaching this from a different angle.

Ther was a time when 1:6 military was plentiful and readily available through retail. Brands like 21st Century Toys, BBI, GI JOE, and others available on the retail level. Those retailers are long gone along with the brands. Even the venerable World Peace Keepers/Power Team Elite line of budget 1:6 and 1:18 offerings disappeared from retail (i.e., BIG LOTS) and are now found online through certain channels (i.e., Amazon, Cotswold Collectibles, etc.).

Back in the day, military collectors purchased a variety of items from retail and mixed it up with premium components from online vendors like Monkey Depot, War Toys, and others for customization and kit bashing.

Such days are long gone and what’s left is pricey. I miss the days of affordable of simple pleasures.

VERY HOT TOYS was also a consistent and reliable brand for budget price and very budget design and quality 1;6 military offerings from a few boxed figures and complete outfit with accessories and weapons. There quality varied ranging from D to B- at best, but they improved considerably before they ceased, disappeared, or rebranded under a different name.

Some of their designs/themes were unique and interesting that filled certain niche categories and their pricing was reasonable for the most part ranging around $80.00 to $120.00 USD.

Excellent points, Gordon Gekko and DFC!

One aspect that bothers me is that most of these military figures do not have the added overhead of expensive licensing and yet I'm seeing, for example, DAMTOY's latest pre-orders with price points of $260+. Either these manufacturers are testing to see what the market can bear or at worst, are simply getting greedy. I do understand that the numbers being made for each military figure is most likely significantly lower and thus the costs are reflecting that aspect as well, but much of the uniforms, gear and accessories have been utilized on previous releases and thus the costs are spread out among additional figures. I recently joined the "Armed Figures forum" and have noticed quite a number of posts stating that they would be passing on a boxed figure and simply picking up some loose items. If this continues, it will affect these manufacturers, to their detriment. (Dragon/DML and Blue Box are perfect examples.)

I honestly thought that I would be able to continue with these military figure lines based on the lower price points compared to Hot Toys, for example. But while I just got back into the genre, I'm already feeling that I'm being priced out, once again...

The 1/6th scale figure hobby in general is quickly forcing me to be even more selective than what I already was and in many cases, simply skipping some releases that I don't see the price-to-value in them. One perfect example is the recent $1000 for a pair of (admittedly outstanding) TDK Jokers. As great as they may eventually be, I just can't justify spending that much. Just imagine when there are a must-have pair or group of characters and they are roughly $500.00 each. For example, Han & Chewie or Neo, Morpheus and Trinity. If this is the future of the hobby, I'm definitely out, for the most part.

Excellent points, Gordon Gekko and DFC!

One aspect that bothers me is that most of these military figures do not have the added overhead of expensive licensing and yet I'm seeing, for example, DAMTOY's latest pre-orders with price points of $260+. Either these manufacturers are testing to see what the market can bear or at worst, are simply getting greedy. I do understand that the numbers being made for each military figure is most likely significantly lower and thus the costs are reflecting that aspect as well, but much of the uniforms, gear and accessories have been utilized on previous releases and thus the costs are spread out among additional figures. I recently joined the "Armed Figures forum" and have noticed quite a number of posts stating that they would be passing on a boxed figure and simply picking up some loose items. If this continues, it will affect these manufacturers, to their detriment. (Dragon/DML and Blue Box are perfect examples.)

I honestly thought that I would be able to continue with these military figure lines based on the lower price points compared to Hot Toys, for example. But while I just got back into the genre, I'm already feeling that I'm being priced out, once again...

The 1/6th scale figure hobby in general is quickly forcing me to be even more selective than what I already was and in many cases, simply skipping some releases that I don't see the price-to-value in them. One perfect example is the recent $1000 for a pair of (admittedly outstanding) TDK Jokers. As great as they may eventually be, I just can't justify spending that much. Just imagine when there are a must-have pair or group of characters and they are roughly $500.00 each. For example, Han & Chewie or Neo, Morpheus and Trinity. If this is the future of the hobby, I'm definitely out, for the most part.
--

IIRC, one instance of "licensing" for a military figure or in this case a law enforcement/para-military figure was from years ago when HT (or another brand) produced a couple of French GIGN figures.

The French GIGN apparently/supposedly sent a "C&D" letter to the brand due to the GIGN logo/name being used without authorization or something like that.

I recollect a similar instance about how certain military camouflage cannot be used for 1:6 due to copyright/licensing by the IP/license holder of the camouflage.

At times even 1:6 military offerings are hampered by licensing.

--

IIRC, one instance of "licensing" for a military figure or in this case a law enforcement/para-military figure was from years ago when HT (or another brand) produced a couple of French GIGN figures.

The French GIGN apparently/supposedly sent a "C&D" letter to the brand due to the GIGN logo/name being used without authorization or something like that.

I recollect a similar instance about how certain military camouflage cannot be used for 1:6 due to copyright/licensing by the IP/license holder of the camouflage.

At times even 1:6 military offerings are hampered by licensing.

Good points which I didn't consider. I believe the company that makes "Multi-cam" has been pretty protective with their camo design. I know personally that getting anything in the 1:1 world with the Multi-cam design is normally more expensive.

Good points which I didn't consider. I believe the company that makes "Multi-cam" has been pretty protective with their camo design. I know personally that getting anything in the 1:1 world with the Multi-cam design is normally more expensive.
--

I believe for the most part, manufacturers of firearms never bothered to get involved about licensing because there is a correlation between collectors of 1:6 military figures and gun owners.

I guess firearm manufacturers view it as free "PR" because their firearms are being given the 1:6 treatment.

"Army/Squad/Troop Building"

I posted about this topic elsewhere sometime ago.

Back in the day, 1:6 troop building was relatively simple and didn't cost an arm and leg. However, as more collectors started doing the same the pursuit of "premium" loose parts from the latest/newest 1:6 military boxed figure became a competition among collectors. Vendors offering loose parts took advantage of it with pricing and availability because they eventually realized how collectors will pay premium prices for certain components and to offset being stuck with undesired/unsold components from a boxed figure.

Nowadays, only a select number of vendors provides a break down for loose parts from newly released boxed figures, but it's not as plentiful as it once was due to higher prices for boxed figures and not wanting to be left with unsold bit and pieces.

If we want to army/squad/troop build, we may be better off just buying in quantity with a price break if possible. I doubt many 1:6 military collectors squad build nowadays due to the preceding.

One of the things I'm desperately trying to find is a modern Air Force dress uniform. The only one I've ever seen seems to have been made for the original Iron Man movie 14 years ago. And while that usage is exactly what I want it for, it's impossible to find. Blows my mind this stuff isn't more readily available. :\

I'll start with the availability of some figures or rather, the scarcity of some figures, even if fairly recently released. There are some that were released just a year or so ago and already hard to find and selling for considerably more in the secondary market. I pretty much have written those off and will await the inevitable "similar but with some different accessories" releases to come. The other option would be to custom bash something similar with available loose items.

Looks like Sig won the contract. Wonder if that will change some of the loadouts on future-ish modern figures.

Then again I've been out of the loop for a long time, maybe a brand has already made the MCX already.

I have been eyeing these Damtoys figures for a bit now. Haven't (pre)ordered one yet, but they are pretty tempting. These look very good and might be nice to pose with one of my other hobbies, scalemodelling.

Anyway, I just found this thread and so now I finally have a chance to post my thoughts about the different headsculpts and which actors they resemble and see if you guys think the same. I'll start with the most obvious and work my way down:

1st-sfod-d-combat-applications-group-team-leader-with-mads-mikkelsen-headsculpt-1-6-figure-30cm-damtoys-78077.jpg

Mads Mikkelsen

operation-red-wings-navy-seals-sdv-team-1-corpsman-16-action-figure-damtoys-78084.jpg

Mark Wahlberg

operation-red-wings-navy-seals-sdv-team-1-sniper-16-action-figure-damtoys-78085.jpg

Ben Foster

31st-marine-expeditionary-unitforce-reconnaissance-platoon-collectible-action-figure-16-damtoys-78088.webp

Ed Skrein

delta-force-1st-sfod-d-operation-enduring-freedom-collectible-action-figure-16-damtoys-78091.webp

Max Martini (13 Hours)

31st-marine-expeditionary-unit-force-reconnaissance-platoon-collectible-action-figure-16-woodland-marpat-ver-78089-damtoys.webp

I find this one the most difficult... Alexander Skarsgard (Generation Kill) maybe? :unsure:

I think you pretty much nailed them with the exception of the Delta Force figure, which I believe is based on a real life operator, Kyle Lamb.

Not sure about the last one, either. I do have it preordered along with the figure mentioned above. I have the two above from "Lone Survivor", already, along with the Radioman. (Working on the Team Leader).

Can't go wrong with Dam Toys.

I think you pretty much nailed them with the exception of the Delta Force figure, which I believe is based on a real life operator, Kyle Lamb.

Not sure about the last one, either. I do have it preordered along with the figure mentioned above. I have the two above from "Lone Survivor", already, along with the Radioman. (Working on the Team Leader).

Can't go wrong with Dam Toys.

Seconded.
I have looked up some pictures of Kyle Lamb. I can see somewhat of a resemblance, but to me this right here is where this figure is based on:
I think the Delta is definitely based on Max Martini from 13 Hours.
View attachment 578124

Anyway, finding this thread definitely hasn't helped in me refraining from getting into military figures. Like I said before I've had an eye out for some of these Damtoys figures for a while now. They aren't super cheap, but seeing what you get in terms of outfits, accessories and weapons, it's just insane compared to pretty much any HT figure. I guess the last ones that came close were the Platoon figures from years back.

Question though; do these figures come with a manual about what goes where? I am by no means an expert of US armed forces and not even located in the US, so somekind of manual would be great.

I have looked up some pictures of Kyle Lamb. I can see somewhat of a resemblance, but to me this right here is where this figure is based on:

Anyway, finding this thread definitely hasn't helped in me refraining from getting into military figures. Like I said before I've had an eye out for some of these Damtoys figures for a while now. They aren't super cheap, but seeing what you get in terms of outfits, accessories and weapons, it's just insane compared to pretty much any HT figure. I guess the last ones that came close were the Platoon figures from years back.

Question though; do these figures come with a manual about what goes where? I am by no means an expert of US armed forces and not even located in the US, so somekind of manual would be great.

No manual is included. You'll have to use the photos on the box or better yet, the reference photos from Dam Toys themselves.

No manual is included. You'll have to use the photos on the box or better yet, the reference photos from Dam Toys themselves.
Thanks for the reply. Good to know. Luckily I'm not averse to a bit of a puzzle then, because I just ordered my first military figure. :D

Went with the Damtoys 1st SFOD-D Team Leader.

Thanks for the reply. Good to know. Luckily I'm not averse to a bit of a puzzle then, because I just ordered my first military figure. :D

Went with the Damtoys 1st SFOD-D Team Leader.
It's pretty easy after you do a few pouches everything comes together pretty fast before you know it. Generaly it's just molle pouches so tweazers are almost a requiement and I recommend a pair that is angled if you watch a youtube video on how to put molle pouches on in real life it's pretty much the same as 1/6,
hardest part is always the helmet and the radio/coms be very careful, the headsets and their wires are the easiest things to break.

Back