The Batman (June 25, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given that 2/3 of Joker's entire endgame - the simultaneous kidnapping/choice/switcheroo and the corrupted hero are ESSENTIAL to Joker's endgame then it is very clear that Joker was not really trying to kill Dent - how do I know? because he pretty much effortlessly kills everyone else and stops every other vehicle in the convoy pretty quickly. Dent is Joker's bait for Batman - not just Batman's bait for Joker - as Joker himself says when he finally shows up "there's the Batman", showing that he was primarily waiting for that moment.

Joker doesn't want to kill Batman. He makes that very clear in the interrogation scene. I believe the Joker initially didn't want to kill Dent because he bought into Dent's confession he was Batman. He says that himself as well. When Batman shows up in the tumbler, Joker just says "Hmm."

Joker doesn't want to kill Batman. He makes that very clear in the interrogation scene. I believe the Joker initially didn't want to kill Dent because he bought into Dent's confession he was Batman. He says that himself as well. When Batman shows up in the tumbler, Joker just says "Hmm."
The problem with the quoted statement is that if Batman didn’t sacrifice the tumbler to save Dent Dent would be a crispy corpse inside the armored car. RPGs are specifically designed to penetrate armored vehicles and Joker was shooting at the truck not the Tumbler.

Removing the other content because there was way too much of it.

My original points were:

1. That Batman saves both the people on the ferries and Dent’s son and ends Joker’s reign of terror because of actions and foresight on the part of Batman himself: expanding the capability of the sonar device, alerting the police as a contingency, investigating the hostage situation before sniper fire, and reaching Joker before midnight when he was going to blow up both ferries regardless of the decision. Batman got there barely in time and definitely wouldn’t have without those measures. You haven’t refuted any of this.

2. Batman in The Batman couldn’t and wouldn’t have saved the day without too-conveniently timed insights from side characters or the main villain himself. Without Riddler hinting at his larger plan Batman wouldn’t have gone back to his apartment, without the carpet tool line he wouldn’t have found the password in time, without the password and Riddler’s device he wouldn’t have gotten to GSG in time.

My reason for bringing them up was that I find the latter to be not very Batmany and boring to watch. The Batman’s Batman never thinks ahead, he just shows up and is invited into the door by police or mobsters and given what ever he needs through notes or dialogue. There’s no mystery or theatrics to how he operates. The riddles felt more like devices to move the plot along and weren’t very compelling or creative, the central mystery was not compelling at all, and Batman barely saves the day after being given everything he needs to by others in the film.

You haven’t said anything that changes my mind on anything I’ve said here and I doubt anyone could since they’re simply factual context from the films that I have subjective feelings about.

Again for the record I’m generally positive on The Batman and am hopeful for the sequels to improve on what they built. Hopefully Batman is a bit more proactive and strategic in the next films because idk if I could sit through another three hours of Batman knocking on doors before asking to be invited in.
This was my main problem with the batman movie too, batman is not the noir batman that he was supposed to be in solving the clues. I would even say alfred is the greatest detective since he did so much with that crossword puzzle. I really would have wanted to see him solve clues by himself without anyone spoonfeeding him the answer. He was a very passive batman as you would say, doesn't think ahead indeed.

The Ridler was pretty much winning the whole time, and he got what he wanted. The only main reason I think he would be like that is that he's still learning, and doesn't have the knowledge to work ahead as we're used to since he's in year two.

Saving the city means beating up criminals from his inner hatred and anger within himself. So, he only becomes a hero at the end of the film. There's no need to compare these two batman's from tdk because they're completely different timelines, directors, themes etc.

To be fair I didn’t originally even compare the two. I made a critique of The Batman and someone else dragged TDK into it.

Edit: Looking at you melty wax guy from RotLA

2nd edit: I think this statement is true but I’m not scrolling back to find out at this point.

To be fair I didn’t originally even compare the two. I made a critique of The Batman and someone else dragged TDK into it.

Edit: Looking at you melty wax guy from RotLA

giphy-downsized-large.gif

@Remy i had several tabs from last night still open, so I will try to save your conversation here.

All this argument on who is a better Batman...
Guess whose the one who kicked Superman's ass so bad, Superman cried for his mommy?

Case closed.

@OT_Customs_

We'll have to agree to disagree on our takes re: the Batman movie! Its nice though that we both can be so passionate about movies we both clearly love.
One thing's certain, there are so many inconsistencies in TDK that you literally can argue both ways and win.
I agree, but thats actually one of the things I love most about that movie - you can debate on it for hours on end, all come to different conclusions, and yet all be equally supported by events in the movie. I find that fun - its another reason why both The Dark Knight and Pattinson's The Batman are my two favourite live-action superhero films. Its nice to see people engaging so passionately about media that they love.

The problem with the quoted statement is that if Batman didn’t sacrifice the tumbler to save Dent Dent would be a crispy corpse inside the armored car. RPGs are specifically designed to penetrate armored vehicles and Joker was shooting at the truck not the Tumbler.

Through the scene, Joker was methodically getting rid of the surrounding vehicles prior to the Tumbler showing up. He shot at the armored car but then got the rpg. Still, he didn't target the armored car where Dent was but shot the one in front of it. Then the Tumbler shows up and rams one of Joker's trucks. Joker says "hmmm." At that point, it's obvious Dent is not Batman and proceeds to aim at the armored car. Dent became disposable at that moment when the Tumbler showed up revealing Dent's lie. Since Joker doesn't really want to kill Batman, I'm thinking if Batman didn't show up, he'd find a way to disable the armored car without killing Dent since Joker still thinks he's Batman.

Back