The Batman (June 25, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do audiences really need to keep seeing these high stake, national guard level threats in every superhero movie? Am I the only one that thought there was enough tension with Batman’s identity getting revealed?
As soon as I saw the explosions and flooding in the trailer, I was disappointed that they weren't doing a 'small' story.

I forgive it because I enjoyed this film a lot, but I could certainly do without it.

You know damn well how I thought about it. As soon as I he uttered the word “hope” and started helping the flood victims I was cringing.

The intro is literally perfect, especially with the narration (reminds me a lot of TDKReturns and Year One novels), but the end sucks. Yeah, sure buddy, you’re the shadows . . . you’re on national television in broad day light.

In the sequel he’ll have a statue in his honor just like Batman did in Rises and Superman in BvS, mark my words.
I try to tell JAWS that hope boi sucked but nooooo he wouldn’t listen lol

The movie goes off the rails when Riddler reveals his master plan. It’s the same problem Batman Begins had back in the day when they reveal the microwave emitter, ninjas and monorail.
I think BB pulled it off better because that ending felt more climatic and there was a sense that they were running out of time, so that always increases the tension and urgency. In The Batman, the flooding just kind of happened, the random Riddler thugs failed, so there was not much else left. The whole ending was very anticlimactic.
Do audiences really need to keep seeing these high stake, national guard level threats in every superhero movie? Am I the only one that thought there was enough tension with Batman’s identity getting revealed? I loved when they were in the Riddler’s apartment and you can tell Batman feels completely defeated when he mistakenly thinks Riddler has deduced his identity. Pattison’s emoting through that mask when he thinks he’s ****** is amazing. You can see the relief on his face when he realizes that Riddler doesn’t know, THROUGH the cowl. For me, that’s enough. It should have never gotten any bigger than that. The flooding and Riddler snipers were stupid.

I agree.

You know damn well how I thought about it. As soon as I he uttered the word “hope” and started helping the flood victims I was cringing.

The intro is literally perfect, especially with the narration (reminds me a lot of TDKReturns and Year One novels), but the end sucks. Yeah, sure buddy, you’re the shadows . . . you’re on national television in broad day light.

In the sequel he’ll have a statue in his honor just like Batman did in Rises and Superman in BvS, mark my words.

They call that a character arc, damn it!!! Wait, why am I defending this movie? I'm so confused!! 😖

They call that a character arc, damn it!!! Wait, why am I defending this movie? I'm so confused!! 😖
Most people don’t change in life and/or get progressively worse as they age.

I liked how they were playing with the idea that Batman is unhinged in this movie. He’s constantly shifty eyed (gives Keaton a run for his money IMO). I liked the Martha Wayne reveal that she was mentally ill and in and out of the hospital. I liked that that Batman has a journal like the Riddler and Batman realizes how similar the two of them are.

You didn’t need all that blatant melodrama at the end. When Batman is telling the Riddler he’s pathetic and he won’t be remembered, it’s almost like he’s taking shots at himself. I thought that was clever. That shows growth without beating the audience over the head with it.

Most people don’t change in life and/or get progressively worse as they age.

I liked how they were playing with the idea that Batman is unhinged in this movie. He’s constantly shifty eyed (gives Keaton a run for his money IMO). I liked the Martha Wayne reveal that she was mentally ill and in and out of the hospital. I liked that that Batman has a journal like the Riddler and Batman realizes how similar the two of them are.

You didn’t need all that blatant melodrama at the end. When Batman is telling the Riddler he’s pathetic and he won’t be remembered, it’s almost like he’s taking shots at himself. I thought that was clever. That shows growth without beating the audience over the head with it.
Yeah, that ending really brings down the film. Oh well, we'll see what they do with Gotham in the sequel. I was expecting the sequel to be something straight out of Mad Max, but the city didn't look that bad in the end. I liked that shot of Penguin looking out the window. Collin Farrell was my favorite villain.

I think this was one of the best interpretations of Gotham on film. I loved it.

The production design and art design was pretty flawless. I particularly liked how he was slowly building his Batmobile as the weeks went by until it’s revealed in the Penguin chase sequence. All of his weapons and gadgets are hand built.

Also the acting from minor characters. Those cops felt real to me. Not like the cliched, dumbed down quipping cops in the Nolan movies. That scene when Batman wakes up in the GCPD and they’re ready to rip his head/mask off was so tense. I loved the Gordon “punch me” moment.

My favorite Gordon by far.

Hillstreet Blues the Movie lol

They were awesome.

My favorite Gordon line was “he’s wearing gloves” lol

I like when cool bad ass know it all Batman realized that the rookie cop told him what that carpet tool was for and he silently was like hunh yeah I knew that lol

Last edited:
Just saw it and loved it. I'll need a few years and re-watches to see where it sits on the al-time list, but likely top three for me.
I liked the ending, my gf thought it dragged on.

Batman looked scared for a second when he got to the top of the police HQ and realized how high he was up there, right before he jumped. I've never seen that before.

Speaking of which, him running after punching Gordon looked ok after all.
Joker didn’t bother me

:chase

I love the beginning tho and the ending didn’t bother me. Batman helping out people in broad day light during a national disaster made sense. It showed he can’t always be in the shadows if he wants to truly help people .
This movie had the Katrina disaster, white right wing militia, black victimization, TDKR ramp jump, western showdown, Zodiac killer, Whitey Bulger, True Detective, Law and Order, Christine killer car movie, Godfather, Se7en, Saw, Rear Window, All the President's Men rolled into one.
I'm confused that you went this weekend and liked it after the bashing you gave it!
Batman looked scared for a second when he got to the top of the police HQ and realized how high he was up there, right before he jumped. I've never seen that before.

Speaking of which, him running after punching Gordon looked ok after all.
That was neat. Like it was his first attempt. It ended like it too lol

This movie had the Katrina disaster, white right wing militia, black victimization, TDKR ramp jump, western showdown, Zodiac killer, Whitey Bulger, True Detective, Law and Order, Christine killer car movie, Godfather, Se7en, Saw, Rear Window, All the President's Men rolled into one.

I'm confused that you went this weekend and liked it after the bashing you gave it!

That was neat. Like it was his first attempt. It ended like it too lol
I’m not confused. I’d knew he’d like it. He said he might not buy any dolls but he already bought 5

I think I just saw the most accurate comic/graphic novel version of Batman ever put on screen.

Pattinson killed it. Right from the first scene, loved how much emotion and attitude he gives off just with his shifty eyes and the methodical way he moves throughout the film.

The first two acts were something of a masterpiece. I love the Gordon/Batman aspect and they actually delivered on making a “worlds greatest detective” movie. Figuring out clues as Dano’s Riddler methodically pulls at their and the audience’s thread was such a blast.

Zoe Kravitz killed it as well, the best Selina we’ve ever seen in my opinion. Pattinson and her really got the movement and attitude down to the T on these characters and I really hope we see her in the role again.

Dano is THE Riddler here. No camp or over the top costume. Just a wimp with a massive brain, a misguided sense of direction with an insane plan backed by a solid reasoning from where he stands. a great villain. I’m glad they held his ego back a bit unlike the comics. It was interesting how politically fueled his plot was without barfing it all over your lap like other movies these days.

Penguin was a lot of fun, and took part in the best action sequence in the film. That Batmobile chase was insane.

The third act was great too and gave me the action finale I wanted, even if it was a little larger scale then I hoped they pulled it off with such class. It reminded me a lot of Begins, which isn’t a terrible thing at all.

After the hyper realism of TDK and TDKR, and barely spending anytime with Batman and his relationship with Gotham in Snyder’s films, I’m so happy Gotham finally feels like a character again, as it should. The set designers and art teams need nominated for this. The coolest and dingiest Gotham on screen.

It’s up there with TDK and ‘89. Loved every minute of it.

10/10.

PS: I’m glad the “Twilight, emo, skinny, cringe” argument has finally faded after all the time and anticipation we sat through. People actually woke up and realized this dude has chops.

Back