Star Wars: Ahsoka

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sabine seemed like even more of a rookie in the turret than the first time Luke sat behind the Falcon's guns rather than a seasoned Mandalorian who fought on the front lines of a full scale war for many years. It almost felt like Filoni was over-compensating against complaints that Rey was too powerful.
Sabine next episode…

1693452256240.gif

Sabine seemed like even more of a rookie in the turret than the first time Luke sat behind the Falcon's guns rather than a seasoned Mandalorian who fought on the front lines of a full scale war for many years. It almost felt like Filoni was over-compensating against complaints that Rey was too powerful.
Yeah it did seem odd how long it took her to actually hit anything. Although I suppose that could be due to the fact these are seasoned mercenaries and ex-Jedi and not your usual TIE fighter pilots.

Sabine did indeed come across that way, but only because of poor execution rather than intent, IMO.

When she first gets behind the turret, she notes that Ahsoka has deleted all of Sabine's presets and configurations (demonstrating time behind that same turret in the past). Then she goes on to miss shot after shot because she's having to do things Ahsoka's way, and they aren't working as a team. Then Sabine convinces Ahsoka to trust her lead and work more harmoniously with each other's strengths (Ahsoka's Jedi reflexes in piloting, and Sabine's tactical prowess in combat) - and next thing you know she's peeling off one fighter ship after another.

It was very typical on-the-nose thematic construction from Filoni, but I think it was executed in a clunky enough way to end up being somewhat muddied all the same. The priority should've been finding the optimal way to purely convey that Sabine isn't just failing because she's "rusty" or a poor student/apprentice, but that Ahsoka also has something to learn about being a mentor/master and knowing when to trust. Instead, Filoni once again reached into the SW self-referential bag and allowed non-related context from past SW to obscure his intended takeaway a little bit as a result.

But I'm still trying to wrap my head around the sheer stupidity of what followed that sequence, so I can't be confident about any speculation I offer regarding the creative intent with this show. :lol

Sabine did indeed come across that way, but only because of poor execution rather than intent, IMO.

When she first gets behind the turret, she notes that Ahsoka has deleted all of Sabine's presets and configurations (demonstrating time behind that same turret in the past). Then she goes on to miss shot after shot because she's having to do things Ahsoka's way, and they aren't working as a team.
Yeah, I think you're correct as to what Filoni was going for but then I think of Luke who'd never sat in a gun turret a day in his life and he did much better without any "presets" or someone flying the ship to better line up his shots and it just makes Sabine look like anything but an accomplished combatant.

Just poor execution like you said that ignores what civilian farmboys and veteran Mandalorians should be capable of compared to one another, which is what made me wonder if Filoni is just going too far to make sure no one calls Sabine a Mary Sue.

She seemed fine, having her get used the controlls builds tension, almost mirrored Luke's -they're coming to fast, struggle with it at first, then getting to the point where she yell's I got one! (almost exactly) one to one mirrored Luke's scene, and youthful enthusiasm, which is what they were looking to callously imitate.
By the end she was then the one giving the cues, and then driving the ship too, and proficient at it all.

It had nothing to do with fear she was a Marysue, and more to do with them just wanting to recreate the Falcon vs TIE moment down to Luke's enthusiasm, (weather it fits her character or not), cause they are bereft of ideas.

The only thing missing was the fussy protocol spouting droid getting knocked out of commission, . ...Oh, wait.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think you're correct as to what Filoni was going for but then I think of Luke who'd never sat in a gun turret a day in his life and he did much better without any "presets" or someone flying the ship to better line up his shots and it just makes Sabine look like anything but an accomplished combatant.

Just poor execution like you said that ignores what civilian farmboys and veteran Mandalorians should be capable of compared to one another, which is what made me wonder if Filoni is just going too far to make sure no one calls Sabine a Mary Sue.
Then Disney can say…

“See, they complain when it’s a Mary Sue and when not a Mary Sue, damned if we do and damned if we don’t!”

That’s when I say…

“Just be authentic and write the character to properly reflect upon its established history!”

Then I say…

“Hey idiot KK, your story group and Mrs Pablo Hidalgo, this budweiser is on me!”

Last edited:
For me Sabine is the most annoying character in the show, she almost made me give up watching during episode one but will stick with it to the end of the season.

The acting and delivery of all three Ahsoka, Sabine and Sith chick (Shin Hati?) are all somewhat dull, expressionless and flat (maybe the dialogue?).
Though at least Sith chick is supposed to be dead inside, can't account for the other two? 😐

Last edited:
You know it will be really nice if Filoni does absolutely *anything* that is the least bit surprising in this series. As soon as Ahsoka said "I'm going outside, I'll distract them" I knew exactly that she was going to stand on the hull of the ship deflecting lasers with her sabers and slicing up any ships too stupid to not stay out of *lightsaber range* but imagine instead if when she did that the one Inquisitor guy goes "she's on the hull, I'll get her" and the Sith girl goes "No. She's trying to draw our attention. Go for the engines." And then the villains get to look badass by shooting the ship with only the fluke of the space whales showing up allowing them to escape, land, and conduct further repairs.

To me Ahsoka comes off as calm, and collected rather than "flat." I didn't love EP3 but I am really enjoying Rosario as Ahsoka, and The 2(3?) Dark Jedi are still the scene stealers for me.
Yeah I don't really get the complaints. She's a (former) Jedi in her mid 40's, she's been through a lot and wisened up. She's not much different here than she was in Rebels.

Luke was like this in ROTJ and Mando/BOBF.

Back