Star Trek: Discovery

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The finale was pretty good, however I do wonder where they’ll be taking the series from here.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

If you google the interview with the showrunner Alex Kurtzman discussing the season finale and his plans for Season 3 you will have your answer...and in my opinion it is a really cool and exciting answer.

The finale was pretty good, however I do wonder where they’ll be taking the series from here.

Was that the finale? I didn't even realise. It was a good episode however, I've gone from being so so about STD, to really quite enjoying it and I'm looking forward to more. It's time to give credit where it's due, it's becoming a pretty entertaining show, whether it is classic Trek or not.

All of that said, the ending with the crew interactions on the Enterprise made me feel like we might be focusing on the wrong crew and ship going forward. Id love to see a sister show entirely focusing on the Enterprise and Captain Pike as seen in STD.

......the ending with the crew interactions on the Enterprise made me feel like we might be focusing on the wrong crew and ship going forward. Id love to see a sister show entirely focusing on the Enterprise and Captain Pike as seen in STD.

Absolutely. In very little screen time, Mount, Peck and Ramos generated genuine chemistry. I was definitely left with the desire to see them do more with the Enterprise with Pike and his crew. Much more so than weepy Michael, Wesley Tillis and the rest of the nameless crew that makes up Discovery.

The whole season was a long, hyperactive exercise in getting the Discovery out of the corner it has been written into from it's start. Let's ditch the premise!

Yes, give us a limited -run series with the Enterprise...Mount was the best thing about the show for the second season.

Absolutely. In very little screen time, Mount, Peck and Ramos generated genuine chemistry. I was definitely left with the desire to see them do more with the Enterprise with Pike and his crew. Much more so than weepy Michael, Wesley Tillis and the rest of the nameless crew that makes up Discovery.

The whole season was a long, hyperactive exercise in getting the Discovery out of the corner it has been written into from it's start. Let's ditch the premise!

Yes, give us a limited -run series with the Enterprise...Mount was the best thing about the show for the second season.

The Enterprise crew were awesome. Big fan of Peck and Mount...who is Ramos?

Yep, all of this. Even though the Discovery is now in a position of exploration which is what people have wanted. In making the show way better, they have now set themselves up for disappointment if they remove the more likable crew and the Enterprise.

Yep, all of this. Even though the Discovery is now in a position of exploration which is what people have wanted. In making the show way better, they have now set themselves up for disappointment if they remove the more likable crew and the Enterprise.

Its not an if they remove them. They have already been removed. Pike will definitely not be back in Season 3 which leads me to believe that none of the Enterprise crew including the ship itself will be either. The Discovery showrunner has not ruled out the potential for a future spin off series with this focus but the next season will not include them.

If you google the interview with the showrunner Alex Kurtzman discussing the season finale and his plans for Season 3 you will have your answer...and in my opinion it is a really cool and exciting answer.

Looked it up, pretty cool, thanks!

Yeah, add me to the group that'd rather see the crew of the Enterprise from this point out in a show that has a modern take on Trek (serial storytelling, special effects, etc) rather than follow the Discovery. Though the crew has grown on me over time, the ship is still fugly, I don't like Michael and I find Georgiou annoying and hard to understand (audibly, I mean, her accent is REALLY thick). Saru is good though, and I don't mind Tilly so much. Stamets is ok as a subsidiary character - he can get a bit annoying when he's brought into the forefront. I really like Reno though. Hope they do more with her in season 3. Also kindof wish Po would've stuck around, I could have seen her being fun, for a while anyway. Though I suppose she's yet another Wesley.

My big problem with Discovery in general is that you can really see the behind-the-scenes strings being yanked to make it work. First, Brian Fuller's original re-imagining of Trek, without real care toward the timeline. He wanted to make it a show about the Fed-Klingon War, and show the ravages of it from both sides. Then you have Berg and Harbert's tweak to that, taking away most of the Klingon POV, retcon-ing out the spore drive and tying up the war as soon as possible to go to the mirror universe for some reason that really never fit in the overarching story. The entire setup of the show was changed 3/4 of the way through the first season. And now we have Kurtzman's entire season as an intermediary to try to fix the timeline. We've really seen three shows from three different showrunners, and it shows. Go back and watch the first few episodes, and it's hard to imagine it's the same series. Yeah, every Trek show has gone through it's growing pains, especially TNG, but I can't think of one where the ENTIRE PREMISE changed. Except, I guess, for Enterprise's Season 3 Expanse arc.

I never really cared for Star trek, I love sci-fi so I still saw probably all the movies but never was really into it.
Discovery changed that, I loved it.
And I'm very impressed by the production value.
Man that climax was theatre worthy.
Can't wait for next season.

I never really cared for Star trek, I love sci-fi so I still saw probably all the movies but never was really into it.
Discovery changed that, I loved it.
And I'm very impressed by the production value.
Man that climax was theatre worthy.
Can't wait for next season.

Yep...the finale for season 2 was definitely worthy of being on the big screen. As a lifelong Star Trek fan who had seen every episode of every series multiple times and enjoy them more each time I could not have enjoyed your post more. For every person who complains about how problematic Discovery is because it breaks this rule of Trek or that rule of Trek there is an excellent post like this that hopefully puts things in to perspective.

So far my only complaint about Discovery is its self-consciousness at having more advanced effects than TOS. Like, Pike really didn't need to draw attention to Tyler's comm badge, and they didn't need to say it's only "old school" captains who use viewscreens instead of holograms.

Yep...the finale for season 2 was definitely worthy of being on the big screen. As a lifelong Star Trek fan who had seen every episode of every series multiple times and enjoy them more each time I could not have enjoyed your post more. For every person who complains about how problematic Discovery is because it breaks this rule of Trek or that rule of Trek there is an excellent post like this that hopefully puts things in to perspective.

:hi5:

Sorry for going slightly OT again, but I must thank you guys for encouraging me to watch TNG.
I'm almost finished with the 4th Season, and what a remarkable series this is! I've just been through The Drumhead, Half a Life and The Host, and they're all amazing. So much deeper in thought and analysis of humanity than just about any other show. Quite amazing, really. Reminds me of Battlestar Galactica at its best.
Thanks guys!

Sorry for going slightly OT again, but I must thank you guys for encouraging me to watch TNG.
I'm almost finished with the 4th Season, and what a remarkable series this is! I've just been through The Drumhead, Half a Life and The Host, and they're all amazing. So much deeper in thought and analysis of humanity than just about any other show. Quite amazing, really. Reminds me of Battlestar Galactica at its best.
Thanks guys!

Awesome! Season 5 is a real high point too...3 was when the show figured out what it wanted to be...4 was it establishing itself and building its confidence based on 3...5 is pure, balanced, and confident. You are probably aware that Ronald D. Moore the creator and showrunner of the new Battlestar Galactica was one of the main writers on Seasons 3 onward of TNG which explains the Galactica vibe.

Awesome! Season 5 is a real high point too...3 was when the show figured out what it wanted to be...4 was it establishing itself and building its confidence based on 3...5 is pure, balanced, and confident. You are probably aware that Ronald D. Moore the creator and showrunner of the new Battlestar Galactica was one of the main writers on Seasons 3 onward of TNG which explains the Galactica vibe.

Yeah, I started seeing his name there and I was like "whoa! good writing ahead!"

Yeah, I started seeing his name there and I was like "whoa! good writing ahead!"

He plays an even bigger creative role on Star Trek Deep Space Nine which is not only my favorite Trek series but my all time favorite TV series.

Revised Pike

d49789f9a3fd8f3228d09d702d233b4a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Back