Star Trek beams home to Playmates Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Utah

I learned to hate you in the last 10 years
CF Supporter
Reaction score
startrek_com_cover_v012.jpg

https://intl.startrek.com/news/playmates-toys-boldly-returns-to-the-star-trek-universe?amp
Amazing news to me. The 90s line were so great and I have gone back and bought sets again since.

The teaser pic shows:

TNG Data
Disco Saru
Disco Pike
Picard from Picard
Disco Burnham
Disco Spock

Hopefully they turn out well.

Kind of weird that it’s mainly all new characters, but they throw in a TNG Data. Unless it’s supposed to be from Picard as he is seen in his TNG uniform for a tiny bit if I recall correctly.

He is you're right.

But they have to realise fans will want the older series.

I hope these are at least 6 inch scale.

Usually it's one or two figures out of a wave that pegwarm.

What a refreshing change to have 5 pegwarmers and 1 seller instead.

If this is the launch wave, I’ll be curious to see if there’s a second.

I’m a little surprised they didn’t do more variety for a first wave. At least I would have liked to have seen a Kirk and Picard (TNG) in the first wave. I get the focus on new characters, but I think to draw in more fans it would make sense to throw class characters into the mix.

McFarlane launched with Kirk and Picard before dropping the license like a hot rock. There were some problems with a planned Discovery phaser toy, but I have to think if the figures did better, Todd wouldn’t have turned his attention elsewhere so quickly.

I don’t get the impression the new shows move merch very well, but the franchise, in general, doesn’t sustain merchandising like it once did.

If this is the launch wave, I’ll be curious to see if there’s a second.
I’m a little surprised they didn’t do more variety for a first wave. At least I would have liked to have seen a Kirk and Picard (TNG) in the first wave. I get the focus on new characters, but I think to draw in more fans it would make sense to throw class characters into the mix.
Absolutely.

I see Playmates didn't learn anything from what happened with other brands and Star Wars Sequel Trilogy merchandise.

Saturating a first wave with new characters and new versions of characters is a really weird choice.

I think interest for non high end Star Trek merchandise is not at a strong point, and I don't see the new shows driving merchandise sales. Picard in particular has extremely boring character designs and outfits.

I would honestly be more interested in a line of Lower Decks action figures and vehicles. That show is more toyetic.

But you have to give people the impression that they'll be able to fill their collections with complete lineups of characters for shows with ensemble casts. I personally would've started with something like:

Wave 1
TOS Kirk
TOS Spock
FC Picard
FC Data
DISCO Burnham
DISCO Saru

Wave 2
TOS McCoy
TOS Uhura
DS9 Sisko (2370)
DS9 Worf (2370)
SNW Pike
SNW Spock

View attachment 530918

https://intl.startrek.com/news/playmates-toys-boldly-returns-to-the-star-trek-universe?amp
Amazing news to me. The 90s line were so great and I have gone back and bought sets again since.

The teaser pic shows:

TNG Data
Disco Saru
Disco Pike
Picard from Picard
Disco Burnham
Disco Spock

Hopefully they turn out well.

120763e48136800f88fa5a41eb0dc5ea.png

5gdsig.gif

Homage to their old^ line promo...
Combining them as a gif. looks like they are beaming them down for an intro.

I see L to R

TNG Data
Disco Burnham
Picard Picard
Disco/SNW Pike
Disco Saru

and all the way on the R looks like a character in a skirt, unless Spock wears a coat or long jacket? :lol

Edit: [Googles Disco Spock image], oh right, I forgot he does wear a jacket and a beard WTF!?

So what scale will these be?
Points of articulation?

Last edited:
Off topic slightly, but the nineties Playmates Star Trek line was great. So expansive, and honestly probably a big reason why I got into Star Trek in the first place. Having toys of the classic crew got me more interested in watching TOS and the movies.

Playmates really struck at just the right time. It was during an era where Star Trek was really at its height in terms of popularity.

I loved its warmth. Such a broad range of characters spanning the series and movies, the mere sight of the packaging gives me instant nostalgia.

If they are doing Picards new crew: I want a 5-Pack of Emergency Rios Holos.

3uinj3.gif

Plus the as yet revealed Armed Security Holo: Aramis.
(ok I'll have to customize that one :wink1: )
EynlIMFWYAYTqiC

Last edited:
I loved its warmth. Such a broad range of characters spanning the series and movies, the mere sight of the packaging gives me instant nostalgia.
Yeah. I still have my classic Star Trek figures by Playmates. They’re in storage, and I probably lost a lot of the accessories, but I at least have the figures. Had so many of them. Also had the TOS Shuttlecraft and a couple diorama type characters/accessories (figures that included a transporter pad).

The renders from this new line look promising. They would have to really drop the ball for me to pass.

A good sculpt, with some photoreal paint would be nice.

I heard Playmates did some Billie Eilish figures recently that turned out OK.

An 5 or 6 inch NEW Trek line? Sign me up. I'm a little nervous about that many new characters in the first wave. Perhaps if we could see wave 2 looking more diverse, we could all breath easier. But as long as they turn out nice, ill buy this first wave.

The renders from this new line look promising. They would have to really drop the ball for me to pass.

A good sculpt, with some photoreal paint would be nice.

I heard Playmates did some Billie Eilish figures recently that turned out OK.
Their attempt at the JJ verse line was pretty weak (however I never had one in hand, didn't really care for that universe) .
Hopefully they have something better planned.

DSCN2871.jpg

So what scale will these be?
Points of articulation?
Re: Anybody?

Last edited:
I like that it looks like these will have a more realistic sculpt. I liked the Playmates figures and collected a ton of them in the 90s (all of the TOS, TNG, DS9 crews and a bunch of the aliens) but I always would have preferred that they couldn't virtually stand in with TMNT figures :p

Fingers crossed.

Back