Star trek: Strange new worlds

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j97e1

Super Freak
Reaction score
After months of speculation, rumors, and general clamoring for more stories featuring the Star Trek: Discovery-era crew of the USS Enterprise, today CBS All Access made the news official: Captain Pike and company are returning in their own dedicated spin-off.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is the next live-action series coming to the streaming service, centered on the USS Enterprise, with Discovery favorites Anson Mount (Captain Pike), Ethan Peck (Spock), and Rebecca Romijn (Number One) returning for more Starfleet adventures.

st.jpg

I haven't seen any of the Trek shows on CBS channel. I want to watch the Picard show though. Rebecca looks great. Hasn't really aged at all.

I haven't watched any of the new shows but I like how cheesy and 60's sci-fi that picture looks. :lol Definitely looks in line with TOS.

The general consensus seems to be that Kurtzman hasn't done anything good with the franchise though, so I'm surprised they don't get someone else to make these shows. Is there no one else?

I’m going to watch and hope for the best. Discovery was a huge letdown (redesigned Klingons, horrible retcons, etc.), but hopefully they’ll course correct. I did like Picard. However both use a serialized format, which is risky when folks don’t get onboard. This is the kind of episodic show they should have kicked off with, however after TNG/DS9/VOY I don’t understand why Trek has felt it needed to go backwards rather than forward. Sure Discovery is now going to do a huge time jump (primarily because the show wore out its welcome in the 2200s) but the promos are pretty underwhelming. It’s pretty mind-boggling how Paramount/CBS has stumbled and bumbled their way through these series. It’s almost as if they are intentionally trying to screw up the franchise. You’re never going to please everyone, but I want to see Trek succeed, just like I want to see Star Wars, Marvel and DC succeed. I think one of the reasons Paramount came down so hard on Trek fan fiction is that some of these projects were starting to show just how terrible of a job the studio was doing. I don’t have a great deal of faith in Kurtzman, but hopefully I’ll be pleasantly surprised. The reality is unless Paramount sells the franchise to someone like Netflix or Amazon, this will be the only game in town.

Good first episode like the old school vibe.
Hopefully the show runners can resist the direction of other current Trek missteps.
Anson Mount and Ethan Peck are great in the rolls.

Pretty good first episode. Seemed to strike a nice balance of old school and modern Trek.

Good first episode like the old school vibe.
Hopefully the show runners can resist the direction of other current Trek missteps.
Anson Mount and Ethan Peck are great in the rolls.
Current missteps? Other than dragging old Picard along (which sort of works) I think Trek better nowadays compared to Voyager & Enterprise. It was time for it to get away from syndicated TV.

Current missteps? Other than dragging old Picard along (which sort of works) I think Trek better nowadays compared to Voyager & Enterprise. It was time for it to get away from syndicated TV.

Post in thread 'Star Trek: Picard'
Star Trek: Picard
This YouTuber sums up my and others feelings about the state of current “Trek” well.

I just watched the first episode and it was…ok. Visually it’s quite beautiful but I absolutely cannot stand the Kurtzman trademark of how so much of the dialogue is just characters talking to each other in these vague platitudes. I tried watching the first couple episodes of Discovery and Picard when each of those first hit and just couldn’t force myself to go on. I’ll give it a few episodes and see.

I made of a point of watching the last season of Discovery after initially deciding not to.

Ugh!

Less USS Discovery and more USS Psychotherapy and Self-Discovery. :unsure:

The writing was on the wall when The Next Generation put a counsellor on the bridge.

Picard Season 2 was a bit better, but it's so hard watching Patrick Stewart as he looks and sounds so frail that I'm expecting him to keel over at any minute. :monkey2

Still, it was largely over sentimental fan-type fiction.

The last Trek I liked was Lower Decks, because it was sassy, self-deprecating and therefore didn't take itself seriously.

I have the first episode of Strange New Worlds, and will watch the series out of curiosity.

Back