Star Trek beams home to Playmates Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this scale, all they really have to do is come up with a few excellent base bodies for them to reuse, and then focus on getting good likenesses.

Excited to get a good look at the Trek figures teased ages ago. I just hoped they're scaled well. Saru looked waaaaay under-scaled in that teaser.

First look! 3 waves, a ship and a replica!

Red Alert! Playmates Toys has returned with an all-new Star Trek Universe collection. The first figures and toys will be available to fans this summer in a collection of retro figures from the most popular Star Trek television shows and films, as well as the latest hit series on Paramount+. The five-inch, 1:14 scale figures will feature the extraordinary attention to detail Playmates is known for, each with 14 points of articulation and packaged in either 1990s nostalgic packaging or newly designed Star Trek Universe blister cards, depending on the character.

The first wave in the Star Trek Universe collection will be available online in July 2022 and in stores this fall. Additional figures and accessories scheduled for release in early 2023 will be announced later this year.

https://intl.startrek.com/gallery/p...llection/star-trek-the-next-generation-3097/3
Wrath of Khan
Kirk
Spock
Khan

TNG
Picard
Riker
Data

Disco
Saru
Burnham

TOS
Enterprise ship
Phaser

Hmm, not really sure about these. The TNG figures look the best and the likenesses are all pretty good, but stylistically there's nothing about these that makes me want to collect a whole bunch like with the original Playmates figures.

I know what you mean they don't seem to have the same charm as their OG line... maybe thats the nostalgia talking though.

Looks like with the roleplay items they are returning to their focus on child friendly versions of the Phasers etc, at least to my eye, I kind of wish they had gone down the same route as DST which were pretty close to 1:1 and were popular with cosplayers.

I have one of their TOS Phasers and wish I had picked up the STIII version they put out.

Not sure about these. Depending on how production turns out and the price point I might get some but the promo pictures have not sold me at all. More money and space saved for EXO Trek I guess.

Who is the audience for these figures? Adult collectors who hate modern action figures? Can't be kids if some of these come in nostalgia packaging.

Big disappointment.

I think they’re okay for what they are. Probably won’t buy them, but I do kind of like the retro vibe they have going on and the fact that they’re going to be on retro cards is fun.

I think the vibe they’re going for is to keep in line with the nineties Playmates line, but adding new articulation. That’s how the figures come across to me at least.

I kind of like what they’re going for given the retro vibe. I had (have actually in storage) a bunch of the Playmates Star Trek figures and play sets (transporter pads and a TOS Shuttlecraft).

Not sure if I would actually get the new Playmates figures though. Maybe I’ll pick up Picard and keep him carded for the novelty. Otherwise if I wanted I would just collect the retro figures.

Last edited:
First look at Prodigy figs...

Prodigy_Group-Background_V5-legal.jpg

They look more like Star Wars characters rather than Star Trek.

There's a Tellarite, a Medusan, and a Brikar there. Not Star Wars at all. The other three are new races, and even then still don't look like Star Wars. What are you expecting exactly people only humans?

The problem with Prodigy for me - and keep in mind, I'm not up to date on it, I saw them all pre-hiatus - is the lack of human element.

We need someone to be our representative, our eyes and ears out there. It's the reason why diversity in superhero movies is such a talking point - people need characters that they feel they can see themselves in. And with all these characters, it's hard to find that start point. I just don't feel "sucked in."

That said, I still like it better than DSC ;)

Back