RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got back from Ben Hur, it was a decent film.
Obviously it's nowhere near as engrossing and epic as the '59 version, but then again, people don't do those movies anymore...
I enjoyed Messala a lot more in this version, you could relate to the guy, whereas in the '59 version he was a total ****. Judah is also a lot more interesting, albeit a lot less heroic and iconic than his '59 counterpart (but then again, that was Heston in his prime, big sandals to fill).
The large Galley battle between the Romans and the Greeks is excellent, as is the chariot race. Both are really well filmed and edited.
Unfortunately, the rest of the movie isn't so well handled, and neither of the protagonists really have the charisma and gravitas of their '59 counterparts, and the movie suffers for it.
There is one scene that stands out for me as a good example of where this film falls short compared to the '59 version: when Judah finds his mother and sister, it is a devastating scene in the '59 version, here it falls flat and has none of the heart wrenching horror and sadness of the earlier movie.
Still, it's an interesting and at times spectacular movie.
6.5/10.

Riddick - 71/100. I didn't even know this movie existed, I was a big fan of the first and I even liked the second but my interest in this franchise is fading.

School Ties - 84/100. Wow, this starred three-fourths of Good Will Hunting's crew and would give us both a Batman and a Robin.

Hell or High Water - 9/10
It was refreshing to see something with no CGI or animation. Chris Pine and Ben Foster has pretty good chemistry. Jeff Bridges does not disappoint.

The Witch 10/10

Finally got to watch this again. This time out in the woods with a sheet and projector! Scary as all hell. My friends all loved it and we are now officially in our Halloween craze. It was extremely nice to watch with subtitles, I completely misunderstood a lot of what they said in theaters. Over all a great horror movie bound to be a classic.

Looking forward to watching this one. Maybe this week.

Watched The Witch a month or two ago and it may be the most confused I've been in a long time about people's glowing reactions to a film. It did nothing for me whatsoever.

Army Of Darkness -- 5.75 / 10

First proper watch, & while it made me laugh a few times, it was pretty stupid.

I did appreciate all the great old school effects though, & Bruce Campbell is an entertaining chap as always.

Army Of Darkness - 5.75/10
giphy.gif

Ben Hur 2016 2/10 I was never raised with any kind of religious belief but I love films.I always stayed away from the strictly religious films even though they play on Television every year.I'M more interested in Fact so I have seen documenteries and such on faith based religion and belief.I was just never really interested in these films.I wanted to see this film because I love animation and great CGI work.But was told to watch the Original with Heston before I went to see this film.
I have never been a fan of CH always thought he was looking at himself while he acted so it was always Heston acting.
I could barley stand CH but it was the best in my personal opinion he's ever been in a film.And the film was absolutely gorgeous and so well done with no CGI.The battle scenes with the Armada is mind blowing for the time(except for some of the miniature shots) and the chariot race is totally kick ass with a great job on the matte work.The story has amazing detail and is told like a book.And the supporting actors were so good.
Sad to say the new film does not even come close to the original in any way.All the real depth of any spirituality is totally missing and the actors are pretty bad.Even funny at times.Too bad for MF as he seems to be becoming the hollywood actor for hire.If you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Back