RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - 8/10

I think this is officially my second favorite installment in the Terminator franchise after, well, Terminator.

Shame they didn't continue on with a third season.

I put it up par with the first two movies. Is this your first time watching it?

I watch that series every year. Lena Headey is my #1 Sarah Connor. Yeah, I said it.

<Inhales deeply>

Yeah, Lena Headey is my favorite Sarah Connor too. There, I finally confess!

<exhales!>

I'm glad you liked it! :clap The writing was simply brilliant, and I'd say it's the only entry into Terminator that's worth watching after T2.

You can pretty much wipe off the subsequent movies off the canon and stick to this. Why more people aren't discovering this I have no idea.. :dunno

I still need to see TSCC... such a huge Terminator fan and never saw it. I think I watched the pilot but didn't stick with it.

TSCC is the real deal, you don't want to deny yourself the real deal, don't you? :lol

Watch it! The show's a slow burn with some episodes, but the writing is impeccable. I'm not even exaggerating when I say that it's the only Terminator entry worth a dang since T2. I remember you said you watched the Season 2 ending but didn't like it. But, it's practically left up for interpretation (with lots of fan theories), since there was never a Season 3.

The ending was solid and workable, if you put the clues together. It's one of those shows where you discover something new every time.

<Inhales deeply>

Yeah, Lena Headey is my favorite Sarah Connor too. There, I finally confess!

<exhales!>

Tnt4Wuh.gif

She just hits all the right notes for the character. Do you have the blu ray set? In the making of feature, the producers said they were faced with tons of auditions of people doing their best Linda Hamilton impression, but ripping Linda off will only rob Sarah Connor of her character.

That's why Emilia Clarke failed so spectacularly. She looks like Hamilton but offers nothing more beyond that.

The Conjuring 2 ??/10

I have no idea, felt nothing like the first one but it was still good I guess? Felt more like an Insidious movie. Filled to the brim with jump scares and one really cool creature/boogeyman (but again felt out of place when comparing it to the first movie). It lacked in actual things or action happening. everything lead up to a jumpscare and then that was it, no chases or anything like that. I enjoyed the old school story telling. It came across as very sweet and simple. Ill have to see I again.

She just hits all the right notes for the character. Do you have the blu ray set? In the making of feature, the producers said they were faced with tons of auditions of people doing their best Linda Hamilton impression, but ripping Linda off will only rob Sarah Connor of her character.

That's why Emilia Clarke failed so spectacularly. She looks like Hamilton but offers nothing more beyond that.

I have the blu ray set but haven't watched all the extras. I think I remember seeing the Sarah Connor bit though. I think Lena pulled off the character extremely well and wasn't quite as crazy unstable as Linda Hamilton was, though I still think Hamilton was a badass. Emilia Clarke seemed too young and cute for the role so I never bought into her as Sarah.

I remember that guy. Wasn't he planning on doing things to his wife too?

Yeah, she installed a program to see wtf he was doing on the computer all night.

Got more than she bargained for I imagine. :panic:

Yeah it's definitely the same one I was thinking of. IIRC he was talking about bleeding her dry or something to that effect, like treating her like beef.

The way the conversation was going before these ^posts, for a second I thought you guys were talking about AIR and I was like "WTF?"

The ending was solid and workable, if you put the clues together. It's one of those shows where you discover something new every time.
I'm still confused on what went on with Cameron in the finale, and the whole neutral Terminator group. Think I'm gonna buy the series and re-watch it in a few months. I binge-watched all 31 episodes in about a week so I'm sure there's a lot I didn't pick up on.

The Conjuring 2 ??/10

I have no idea, felt nothing like the first one but it was still good I guess? Felt more like an Insidious movie. Filled to the brim with jump scares and one really cool creature/boogeyman (but again felt out of place when comparing it to the first movie). It lacked in actual things or action happening. everything lead up to a jumpscare and then that was it, no chases or anything like that. I enjoyed the old school story telling. It came across as very sweet and simple. Ill have to see I again.

Sounds like a good one. I never got why The Conjuring got more praise than Insidious. Except for the ridiculous final act I really preferred Insidious as a creepy paranormal thriller over The Conjuring.

Sounds like a good one. I never got why The Conjuring got more praise than Insidious. Except for the ridiculous final act I really preferred Insidious as a creepy paranormal thriller over The Conjuring.

After one viewing of the first, I never cared to see it again. It only had one real scare in it.

I'm still confused on what went on with Cameron in the finale, and the whole neutral Terminator group. Think I'm gonna buy the series and re-watch it in a few months. I binge-watched all 31 episodes in about a week so I'm sure there's a lot I didn't pick up on.

Everyone had a lengthy discussion on the Genysis thread a few months back but basically I think:

Spoiler Spoiler:

But yeah, it takes multiple viewings to get a lot of the subtle nuances, themes and allegories in the show. That's why it's so brilliant, and why it failed. :lol

Last edited:
It was still better than when I saw Batman & Robin.
Man, I remember how much I was excited for B&R as a kid...
And it was my first dubless big screen experience.

I thought Thomas Dekker was beyond perfect as a young John Connor.
He's obviously got the look, but he's also got some great acting ability.
IKR? Who knew that Nick from "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" tv show would make such a great JC.

Spoiler Spoiler:
:goodpost: :lecture

There's only one Terminator, and his name is... Slade Wilson!
50310f7a0d8f3587b788ef468cd91722.jpg

I still need to see TSCC...
a39851ea72d024cc580d0aa035e149ed.jpg

The Maltese Falcon. 10/10. It is a damn crime that I haven't watched some of these old noir movies before now. Just a badass movie. "I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." I liked it a bit better than Double Indemnity, which was also brilliant.

Up next ... Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Sunset Boulevard, Harvey, Dial M for Murder, On the Waterfront, and Key Largo. Honestly, just scrolling through TCM every week or so and just recording anything that I've heard of but never seen.

Any recommendations? Anything I ought to look for? Particularly noir stuff like Maltese Falcon or Double Indemnity?

SnakeDoc

Everyone had a lengthy discussion on the Genysis thread a few months back but basically I think:

Spoiler Spoiler:

But yeah, it takes multiple viewings to get a lot of the subtle nuances, themes and allegories in the show. That's why it's so brilliant, and why it failed. :lol
That's very interesting.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Man, I really wish the series could come back in some form today.

The Maltese Falcon. 10/10. It is a damn crime that I haven't watched some of these old noir movies before now. Just a badass movie. "I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble." I liked it a bit better than Double Indemnity, which was also brilliant.

Up next ... Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Sunset Boulevard, Harvey, Dial M for Murder, On the Waterfront, and Key Largo. Honestly, just scrolling through TCM every week or so and just recording anything that I've heard of but never seen.

Any recommendations? Anything I ought to look for? Particularly noir stuff like Maltese Falcon or Double Indemnity?

SnakeDoc

The Big Sleep - is a film noir directed by Howard Hawks starring Bogart and Bacall. Bogart plays private eye Phillip Marlowe, so it's similar to his previous role in The Maltese Falcon.

The Harder They Fall - is another gritty Bogart film where he plays a boxing promoter working for the mob. it's ending is just fantastic. It's actually his last film before his death and he went out with a Bang.

The Grapes of Wrath - is not film noir but it's a classic no doubt. Film adaptation of Steinbecks great novel, it's in my top 10 black and white films, top 5 even.

The others you mentioned are great too, Treasure and Waterfront especially. If you dig On the Waterfront try out A Streetcar named Desire - It came out few years prior and stars Brando in what is considered by many to be the most influential role of all time. Directed by the same directer aswell, Elia Kazan.

To Have and Have Not - My second favorite Bogart role after Falcon.

Chinatown - not sure If you've seen this, it was made in the 70s, it is in color, and stars Jack Nicholson. it's set in the late 30s and is film noir. It reminds me so much of Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep.

Casablanca - Bogart's most iconic starring role in a film and for good reason. Also stars the lovely Ingrid Bergman.

There are plenty more of course but check those out if you want to, man.

That's a damn good way of watching movies, that's how I do half my watching these days. And that's a good list you've got there. :duff

Back