1/6 MMS DX 02 - TDK- BATMAN full spec and pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS DX 02 - TDK- BATMAN full spec and pics

I did the exact same thing. The skinny long neck on the DX really bothers me, and I think the V1 neck improves matters. I'm going to try and sand it down to reduce the neck length and add an internal magnet to hold the head in place (I'm using double sided tape at the moment).

Hey guys, some folks here were talking about the DX neck being a bit thin, so I decided to attach the V1 neck to the DX:

Quick and dirty pic, sorry for quality:

IMG_1542r2.jpg

let me know what you think.

With regards to the neck swap, what did you guys do to attach/keep the DX head on the old neck, did you rig up magnets or are you using blue tac or something to just stick it on?

Great work plasmid303!!!

I think the mod with the V1 neck looks greatly superior... wonder why Hot Toys didn't make the neck that thickness to begin with?:confused:

Looks so much more natural. And a little sanding and adding a magnet seems easy enough.

My only concerns would be:

1) Did the DX have to be permanently moded in any way? Don't want that!

2) Do you get natural range of motion with the V1 neck?

I hate the oil problem i dont know what to do about it, it keeps coming back.

I hate the oil problem i dont know what to do about it, it keeps coming back.

Contact Hot Toys and let them know about it, [email protected].

I would also suggest contacting your seller and discussing replacement options, but that's me. At first I wasn't in favor of replacement for this problem because there's a good chance of a replacement having it, but now that for me and others, it's starting to result in wearing away of the paint job because of having to wipe away the problem, I think Hot Toys needs to get slammed with replacements so that they'll stop ignoring this problem and do something about it, since any attempts to get an answer and resolution from them so far seem to get brushed off like we're crazy or haven't tried the most obvious things, like taking off the shipping tape around the belt and wiping the residue off.

I did the exact same thing. The skinny long neck on the DX really bothers me, and I think the V1 neck improves matters. I'm going to try and sand it down to reduce the neck length and add an internal magnet to hold the head in place (I'm using double sided tape at the moment).

With regards to the neck swap, what did you guys do to attach/keep the DX head on the old neck, did you rig up magnets or are you using blue tac or something to just stick it on?

Great work plasmid303!!!

I think the mod with the V1 neck looks greatly superior... wonder why Hot Toys didn't make the neck that thickness to begin with?:confused:

Looks so much more natural. And a little sanding and adding a magnet seems easy enough.

My only concerns would be:

1) Did the DX have to be permanently moded in any way? Don't want that!

2) Do you get natural range of motion with the V1 neck?

Here's a pic of my slightly modded V1 neck on the DX body:

IMG_1544r.jpg

I had already sanded the V1 neck months ago when modifying the V1 Batman was popular, so I thought I'd take it a bit further.

I pulled out the ball joint and filled up the socket with Blu-tack and then used an adhesive to attach the magnet. I used Blu-tack mainly because it would be easily removable if I want to return the neck to the V1 Batman someday.

So, it didn't require much work, and it can be returned to the V1 if desired. I don't believe that the V1 neck radically alters the appearance of the DX figure, but it is a subtle addition that helps. Looking at both of the necks side-by-side, unattached to the body, I noticed that the 'ridges' on the DX neck was what created the illusion of scrawniness. The V1 neck's ridges aren't as pronounced.

Here's the comparison pic I posted a few pages back for reference:
IMG_1531rc.jpg

Looks like you've gone the route of taking the clips out of the cape, or is that a custom cape?

Looks like you've gone the route of taking the clips out of the cape, or is that a custom cape?

Nope, it is the DX cape. And I haven't removed the clips.

Secret: I attached small weights to the back of the cape to weight it down on the shoulders. Not visible to the eye and is done without much hassle.

Nice work, I couldn't get the clips in to look like your cape at the shoulders, I had to remove them to get that.

Took a lot of fussing and and prodding to get the clips to lay flat and flushed against Batman's shoulders, but I did get it right eventually.

I do think that Hot Toys could have made most aspects of the cape, from attachment to it's form and design a lot better.

I really think they should have just voided the clips, a little tweezer work, and they could include a prod like the PERS controller, to push the cape down in, it's snug enough the cape won't come out.

As for the cape itself, part of why I went with the v1, besides the DX being too long for my taste, is that by not laying on the ground, it has some weight to it without the need for adding weights.

I really think they should have just voided the clips, a little tweezer work, and they could include a prod like the PERS controller, to push the cape down in, it's snug enough the cape won't come out.

Wouldn't look good in the manual to be honest! :D

May not look good, but at least it would look possible, I look at the manual about the cape and think, yeah right, show me just how you do it magically like that and have it look right :lol

Nope, it is the DX cape. And I haven't removed the clips.

Secret: I attached small weights to the back of the cape to weight it down on the shoulders. Not visible to the eye and is done without much hassle.

Genius!

Genius I say!!!

Glad to here that the right futzing can get the DX cape to work as intended!

I'm a bit dense... I couldn't tell from your description if you did anything permanent to the DX figure to do the V1 neck mod?

Could you clarify?

...I may actually see if I can find a V1 neck for sale...

You wouldn't have to mod the DX figure or head to use the v1 neck, the ball joint the necks connect to are the same on v1 and DX, which is how you can use DX heads on the v1. It's just a matter of getting a magnet on the v1 neck and such so the DX head will attach, as plasmid demonstrated.

Oh yeah, and a word about the effect on poseability/range of motion please

You wouldn't have to mod the DX figure or head to use the v1 neck, the ball joint the necks connect to are the same on v1 and DX, which is how you can use DX heads on the v1. It's just a matter of getting a magnet on the v1 neck and such so the DX head will attach, as plasmid demonstrated.

Ah, I see... :duh

So it would have no detrimental effect on poseability either then right?

Well the majority of neck posability on the DX is from the ball joint on the Sonar head and the magnet and round design of the DX neck, looking at the mod, I'm not sure you'd have the same range of motion at the head as the DX neck, and the v1 neck being thicker, you might get less front to back posability, which is all I find you really get with the DX necks. Plasmid can better comment, that's just speculation from my experience with the DX figure and the photos of the mod.

Genius!

Genius I say!!!

Glad to here that the right futzing can get the DX cape to work as intended!

I'm a bit dense... I couldn't tell from your description if you did anything permanent to the DX figure to do the V1 neck mod?

Could you clarify?

...I may actually see if I can find a V1 neck for sale...

Oh yeah, and a word about the effect on poseability/range of motion please

As Maulfan pointed out very accurately, no work on the DX itself is required. You pop on the V1 neck onto the neck hole on the DX body as you would with the standard DX neck and Sonar neck. All the modding is done on the V1 neck itself.

The range of articulation at the base of the neck is a bit more limited with the V1 neck, but actually the DX neck is already quite limited in it's range. You can still get a good forward/backward tilt from the V1. The top of the V1 neck is unhindered and very moveable, but that really depends on the strength of the magnet you use and how you install it.

well i have had mine a few days and i done see any oil on mine ...

Back