Marvel's Antman and the Wasp: Quantumania

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't MODOK mean looking with gritted teeth in the comics?

I feel like the above is something out of a 70's Ronald McDonald Land commercial.
Depends on the artist and story.
modokfun2.jpg

The above is cool.

Phase 1-3 would have done it that way.

Phase 4-5 gives you kids-friendly Flipper.
I suppose (personally, I think any version of the character is as far from "cool" as one can get lol), but the existence in the QR of a MODOK that looked like that would have needed some explaining. Goofy looks notwithstanding, a deformed Darren Cross being saved & transformed into MODOK by Kang was a narrative thread that fit the QR setting.

eh this movie was ok... i don't find any of the characters very compelling and i hope ant man solo flicks will be done now

I thought the kang actor was good but i'm already bored of this variants and multiverse stuff... maybe loki season 2 will change my mind but eh.

The above is cool.

Phase 1-3 would have done it that way.

Phase 4-5 gives you kids-friendly Flipper.
Yep
I suppose (personally, I think any version of the character is as far from "cool" as one can get lol), but the existence in the QR of a MODOK that looked like that would have needed some explaining. Goofy looks notwithstanding, a deformed Darren Cross being saved & transformed into MODOK by Kang was a narrative thread that fit the QR setting.
Remember when each marvel film had like only one comic relief to the film.

Now everyone is comic relief

Marvel does not take any of its characters all that seriously anymore. BP2 got a pass as the star died so it had to be serious.

Everything marvel does now wants to be at best GOTG and at worst T:R

Modok would have never appeared in phase 1-3. They still cared then. though I do like him in the comics, he is not really a character you put in the movies. Phase 1-3 got that.

This version was dumb and made worse by the awful FX

Marvel is like Anakin

Lost

It does seem like everyone who helped make Phase 1-3 great, has now gotten fat with paychecks after 10 years and simply deals with the "broad-stroke" story items now. The day-to-day detail work seems to be farmed out to amateurs or easily controlled "Disney" writers to develop. Does Kiri Hart works there now?

Marvel assumes it can float on it laurels, on brand alone.

Someone needs to put the gravitas back into the Marvel universe instead of bloating it with nostalgia goodies for old Dads trying to relive their youth while indoctrinating their children.

It does seem like everyone who helped make Phase 1-3 great, has now gotten fat with paychecks after 10 years and simply deals with the "broad-stroke" story items now. The day-to-day detail work seems to be farmed out to amateurs or easily controlled "Disney" writers to develop. Does Kiri Hart works there now?

Marvel assumes it can float on it laurels, on brand alone.

Someone needs to put the gravitas back into the Marvel universe instead of bloating it with nostalgia goodies for old Dads trying to relive their youth while indoctrinating their children.
I think a lot of this is rose-tinted goggles.

“Remember the good ol’ days of Phase 1-3? The glowing praise for The Incredible Hulk? The way they totally didn’t waste Mickey Rourke on Whiplash? The way they definitely beat Fox with their version of Quicksilver? The way everyone in The Avengers wasn’t cracking jokes and making puns? The absolute banger that was Thor: The Dark World?”

Ant-Man is friggin’ Ant-Man, and far more in GOTG territory than Winter Soldier turf. But for all the wackiness in many of these films, I didn’t think projects like Loki, Moon Knight, Wakanda Forever, Werewolf by Night, Eternals, WandaVision, or FATWS were overly comedic, and stuff like Hawkeye and Ms. Marvel were just the right amount. And She-Hulk’s best comic runs are straight up comedies.

The only Phase 4 project that made me go “scale it back, please” was Love & Thunder, and that’s largely because it had a story, themes, and characters that really weren’t working with a lighter, sillier approach.

I think a lot of this is rose-tinted goggles.

“Remember the good ol’ days of Phase 1-3? The glowing praise for The Incredible Hulk? The way they totally didn’t waste Mickey Rourke on Whiplash? The way they definitely beat Fox with their version of Quicksilver? The way everyone in The Avengers wasn’t cracking jokes and making puns? The absolute banger that was Thor: The Dark World?”

Ant-Man is friggin’ Ant-Man, and far more in GOTG territory than Winter Soldier turf. But for all the wackiness in many of these films, I didn’t think projects like Loki, Moon Knight, Wakanda Forever, Werewolf by Night, Eternals, WandaVision, or FATWS were overly comedic, and stuff like Hawkeye and Ms. Marvel were just the right amount. And She-Hulk’s best comic runs are straight up comedies.

The only Phase 4 project that made me go “scale it back, please” was Love & Thunder, and that’s largely because it had a story, themes, and characters that really weren’t working with a lighter, sillier approach.
First off

TIH is an underrated gem and one of Marvels better efforts. If only if was the 4th film to be released after Thor and CA: TFA. I think it would have been a better success. (Hulk fan here :lol)

Having said that. Yes Phase 1-3 had its issues. But phase 1 started with the great IM and ended with the freaking awesome Avengers. You had Hulk, Thor, and Cap sandwiched in between. None of them bad movies.

Phase 4. Starts with the Awful Black Widow and ends with the average at best Black Panther. In between we get films like the Internals, Thor L&T, and Shang Chi.. that’s some crap right there.

Dr Strange MotM was ok

And we had one great film Spider-man which Sony should get at least half the credit.

Don’t get me going on those awful TV shows

We will have to wait and see what phase 2 has but with AM already being DOA and the Marvels coming up it’s not looking too good.

Phase 2 had issues but it also offered 2 of its best. TWS and GOTG. The original AM was a far better film also than this last one.

I’m really hoping GOTG 3 can hit a home run

I’m really hoping GOTG 3 can hit a home run

I don't think it will. Not because it won't be good. I expect it to be good, but because James Gunn is over at DC now, and lots of people are hating him right now both Marvel and DC wise, I think that will affect the box office of GOTG 3.

I don't think it will. Not because it won't be good. I expect it to be good, but because James Gunn is over at DC now, and lots of people are hating him right now both Marvel and DC wise, I think that will affect the box office of GOTG 3.
The only people who hate Gunn are the Snyder cult which is a small but loud minority. Why does the marvel side hate him?

What's wrong with Gunn? He made something out of nothing with GOTG.

Granted, I think his humor has been played out over nearly 10 years in GOTG, GOTG 2 and Suicide Squad and the endless jokey MCU films that took his lead after 2014. On the plus side, much like Taika and Mel Brooks, you know what you're going to get with Gunn so there's no surprise. On the con side, there's no surprise.

Phase 1-3 is highly overrated. Iron Man 2. Incredible Hulk. Thor The Dark World. Iron Man 3. Age Of Ultron. Ant-Man. Dr Strange. Guardians 2. Ant-Man And The Wasp. Captain Marvel.

Back