1/6 DID NS80175 U.S. Civil War Union Army Lieutenant – John Dunbar (Kevin Costner, Dances with Wolves)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asta

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score

Qu Rachel

Admin
· 32 m ·

1/6 New series coming soon, guess who?
😉

DID#.jpg

Last edited:
The hat is reminiscent of Kevin Costner's Lt. Dunbar from Dances with Wolves:

4363a169a795872258ddc3633eb567ff.jpg

As with the figure it has the silver hat cord for a senior warrant officer / low ranked officer.

But a "series" from Dances with Wolves?

That implies some Sioux characters too, which would be very welcome.

In any case this is an interesting diversion for DID.

EDIT:

I reckon it'll be Lt. Dunbar, but as part of an American Civil War series, which would compliment QOrange's figures.

Last edited:
As with the figure it has the silver hat cord for a senior warrant officer / low ranked officer.

But a "series" from Dances with Wolves?

There's enough subject matter to fill an entire roster of potential theme figures or specific actor headsculpts. Christian Bale from Hostiles. Ben Foster has been in enough war/action films to warrant a headsculpt as well. John Wayne would open up an entire range by himself. If DID wants to maximize the tooling and R&D, then they can shift to something like Gettysburg and God And Generals. ( I watched Gettysburg in one sitting, pretty epic considering this was made in the early 90s) Stephen Lang as Pickett. Sam Elliott as Buford.

It's unclear how well these would sell now. I can see a Dunbar figure generating interest as it might draw in cross over fans from Yellowstone and the upcoming Horizon with Costner. Costner might be much more "loose" on his likeness rights now, as he needs money for Horizon's potential sequels and he's apparently getting crushed financially in yet another divorce.

I don't regret too much in this hobby. But when Sideshow released a large rifle carded set from it's Civil War line, I passed on them. Which was pure madness on my part when I think about it now. That was a lot of good firepower, hard to find normally, in a single set, and back then, the prices weren't that unreasonable.

There's enough subject matter to fill an entire roster of potential theme figures or specific actor headsculpts. Christian Bale from Hostiles. Ben Foster has been in enough war/action films to warrant a headsculpt as well. John Wayne would open up an entire range by himself. If DID wants to maximize the tooling and R&D, then they can shift to something like Gettysburg and God And Generals. ( I watched Gettysburg in one sitting, pretty epic considering this was made in the early 90s) Stephen Lang as Pickett. Sam Elliott as Buford.

It's unclear how well these would sell now. I can see a Dunbar figure generating interest as it might draw in cross over fans from Yellowstone and the upcoming Horizon with Costner. Costner might be much more "loose" on his likeness rights now, as he needs money for Horizon's potential sequels and he's apparently getting crushed financially in yet another divorce.

I don't regret too much in this hobby. But when Sideshow released a large rifle carded set from it's Civil War line, I passed on them. Which was pure madness on my part when I think about it now. That was a lot of good firepower, hard to find normally, in a single set, and back then, the prices weren't that unreasonable.

I only saw Hostiles recently, prompted by QOrange's announcements, during a binge of Civil War movies that included Gettysburg, Gods & Generals, Glory, and others such as Vera Cruz. While set in 1866 that one fascinated me since I was a child due to the Austrian lancers.

For me this is the most interesting area that DID could be getting into, and hopefully it stretches beyond the war into the 1870s and 1880s.

Rocco TheSculptor
I know who it is!

Did he sculpt him? :unsure:

He previously sculpted Costner for Waterworld and Robin Hood figures, and then late last year he posted this on his Facebook:

Rocco TheSculptor

6 November 2023 ·

Calling all my MOVIE BUFF friends:
Name a movie beginning with the letter D ...and DON’T USE GOOGLE, use your brain.
You CAN'T use a movie that has ALREADY been named, SO READ all the other replies first.
I will give you a letter to re-post ON YOUR OWN PAGE. Only do it if you will play along.
Thanks to Steve Lessaw
JUST 1 MOVIE PLEASE
I'll start "D" ...... Dances with Wolves

399621154_357280896671686_5020205917443124548_n.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Set One - Civil War Rifles:
1861 Springfield Rifle
1842 Musket
Austrian Lorenz Rifle
1859 Sharps Rifle
1853 Enfield Rifle
C.S. Cartridge Box w/ Leather Sling
U.S. Cartridge Box w/ Leather Sling
Lorenz Socket Bayonet
4 Socket Bayonets
Cap Pouch

MSRP back then was 20 dollars for this set. The average price of a modern carded weapons set back then from DML was 8-10 dollars.

What was I thinking? :lol 4 bucks a rifle. Good rifles too. Not trapped in an expensive boxed set, like so many good guns are in our hobby.... Street value today has to be about 25-30 per gun, if you factor in shipping, tax, etc, etc. It's always funny what explodes in value. Then again, guns have always held strong secondary market value in our hobby, mostly consistently.

Here's hoping DID doesn't cheap out, and load up these figures with lots of firepower.

DID Dunbar 29.jpg
DID Dunbar 30.jpg
DID Dunbar 31.jpg
DID Dunbar 32.jpg
DID Dunbar 33.jpg
DID Dunbar 34.jpg
DID Dunbar 35.jpg
DID Dunbar 36.jpg
DID Dunbar 37.jpg
DID Dunbar 38.jpg
DID Dunbar 39.jpg
DID Dunbar 40.jpg

DID Dunbar 41.jpg
DID Dunbar 42.jpg
DID Dunbar 43.jpg
DID Dunbar 44.jpg
DID Dunbar 45.jpg
DID Dunbar 46.jpg
DID Dunbar 47.jpg

Brief Introduction​

The Civil War was the largest internal conflict in American history, involving the Northern United States of America and the Southern Confederate States of America. Initially fought by the North to preserve national unity, it evolved into a revolutionary war to abolish slavery. The Civil War marked the first major conflict after the Industrial Revolution, establishing standards for modern warfare such as tactics, strategic thinking, and battlefield medicine. Beginning with the Confederate bombardment of Fort Sumter, the war ended with victory for the Union.

DID proudly presents you the 1/6 U.S. Civil War Union Army Lieutenant – John Dunbar. His furrowed brow, tightly sealed lips, and deep eyes exude a calm yet determined gaze, portraying a character of bravery, wisdom and resilience vividly.

He wears an union army officer shell jacket and trousers, layered with a white shirt, a military vest, and a cloak coat, each meticulously crafted with exquisite detail, evident in the texture and quality of the clothes. He is equipped with a black cavalry hardee hat, a red sash or a genuine leather black belt with shoulder strap around his waist, and a pair of cavalry boots on his foot, embodying a demeanor of confidence and boldness.The combination of multiple outfits further delineates the different facets of his persona.

He is armed with an M1860 Henry rifle and a Colt 1851 navy revolver, the former made of metal and wood with formidable power, excellent firing speed, and capacity, while the latter, an all-metal construction, provides convenience and rapid firing with six cartridges. Additionally, a custom-made metal sword and scabbard are designed for swift attacks with sharp blades, significantly contributing to victory in combat.

What’s more, his accessories include a genuine leather cartridge box and pouch for storing bullets, a portable journal, and a single-barrel telescope for distant observation.

All accessories are meticulously crafted to complement the weaponry, ensuring comfort and realism in outfits, and lifelike detailing in the headsculpt. If you are interested in the U.S. civil war history, don’t miss out on him!

Full Part List​

Base:
1 Super realistic headsculpt
2 DID 1:6 HG Body (Slim Tall Ver.)
3 Left palms X 3 + right palms X 3

Outfits
4 Union Army Officer hardee hat
5 Union Army Officer shell jacket
6 White shirt
7 Military vest
8 Trousers
9 Union Army Officer cloak coat
10 Black tie
11 Black belt (genuine leather)
12 Shoulder strap (genuine leather)
13 Union Army Officer parade belt with sword straps (genuine leather)
14 Red sash
15 Suspenders
16 Gauntlets
17 Cotton underwear
18 Cavalry boots (genuine leather) with spurs

Accessories
19 Cartridge box (genuine leather)
20 Cartridge pouch (genuine leather)
21 Journal
22 Single-barrel telescope
Weapon
23 Colt 1851 navy revolver(metal) + cartridge X 6 + holster (genuine leather)
24 M1860 Henry rifle(metal+wood) with cartridge X 6
25 Union Army Officer sword(metal) with scabbard(metal) (Model 1840 Cavalry Saber)

Insignia
26 Shoulderboard X 1 pair

Last edited:
Note:

The Colt 1851 Navy is a cartridge conversion as per the film.

Lt. John J. Dunbar (Kevin Costner) keeps a Colt 1851 Navy as his sidearm throughout the film. It is also seen in the hands of some high-ranking Union officers. Dunbar's revolver is actually converted to fire metallic cartridges, which is safer then using blanks on a percussion revolver. After a conversation with Dunbar, Major Fambrough (Maury Chaykin) puts a Colt 1851 Navy revolver to his head. Also John Dunbar's revolver could be considered as slightly anachronistic due to its model type, as metallic cartridge-firing revolvers would only come into common use in the 1870s. This particular revolver was built in London, England due to its appearance being a steel frame with black iron backstrap and black steel barrel. As only around 2,000 units were produced at the London Colt factory, making it highly unlikely that John would come by one.

https://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Dances_With_Wolves#Colt_1851_Navy

I can’t wait.

I’m a sucker (and participant) for all of the big licenses and the wait and drama that goes along with each of their announcements and reveals and inevitable shipping fiascos that accompany them.

I absolutely love when companies like DiD do stuff like this (feeling the same about the influx of Vietnam era figures too). It’s something new and different and thoughtful. I hope they keep these coming.

Rocco TheSculptor
I know who it is!

Did he sculpt him? :unsure:

He previously sculpted Costner for Waterworld and Robin Hood figures, and then late last year he posted this on his Facebook:

Rocco TheSculptor

6 November 2023 ·

Calling all my MOVIE BUFF friends:
Name a movie beginning with the letter D ...and DON’T USE GOOGLE, use your brain.
You CAN'T use a movie that has ALREADY been named, SO READ all the other replies first.
I will give you a letter to re-post ON YOUR OWN PAGE. Only do it if you will play along.
Thanks to Steve Lessaw
JUST 1 MOVIE PLEASE
I'll start "D" ...... Dances with Wolves

View attachment 700419

Confirmation:

Rocco TheSculptor
The piece looks great! I had a fun time sculpting the portrait for you!

I can’t wait.

I’m a sucker (and participant) for all of the big licenses and the wait and drama that goes along with each of their announcements and reveals and inevitable shipping fiascos that accompany them.

I absolutely love when companies like DiD do stuff like this (feeling the same about the influx of Vietnam era figures too). It’s something new and different and thoughtful. I hope they keep these coming.
So refreshing to see new subjects in 1.6 scale, there has been too much duplication, although it does little to cure temptation.

DID has made accessory packs including dogs for certain figures - General Patton's Willie, Hans-Joachim Marseille's Beagle and the Feldgendarme's German Shepherd.

Wonder if they'll do one for Dunbar with the wolf, Two Socks? They could add his kepi, striped shirt and neckerchief.

Last edited:
Back