Kaustic Plastik / Infinite Statue - 1/6 Bela Lugosi as Dracula - Action Deluxe Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Collector Freaks be like

TheyreTheSamePicture.jpg

I just had a look for information about the colour.

First I looked at Google for images, and a number of statues and figures have made the cape lining red.

Then I found this (a question asked by someone we know?):

http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=27232.0
It was red in the promotional art and posters for Dracula (1931), but grey for filming because red would have photographed as black in black and white.

So red is what it was supposed to be. :unsure:

That UMA post took me back! You know what, I never even finished that McVey Dracula. He's in my wardrobe, waiting to be unearthed. This new figure does look nice, but, I want to see a production figure. It's pricey for me and I'd want to be sure I'd get something worth the money.

I've been collecting this stuff for 4 decades now. I can tell you....aside from Bergholtz's Bela 1/4 scale he did for Sideshow, this is going to hold the crown for "mass" production pieces for awhile. Anyone nitpicking it is probably just looking for a reason not to part with their money. Which I completely understand given the state of the world presently. I think if folks would just go "Man, that's nice....but I can't commit to spending that much for it." they would garner more respect than picking it to death.

I've been collecting this stuff for 4 decades now. I can tell you....aside from Bergholtz's Bela 1/4 scale he did for Sideshow, this is going to hold the crown for "mass" production pieces for awhile. Anyone nitpicking it is probably just looking for a reason not to part with their money. Which I completely understand given the state of the world presently. I think if folks would just go "Man, that's nice....but I can't commit to spending that much for it." they would garner more respect than picking it to death.

It's taken Sideshow twenty years and they still haven't generally reached HT paint quality or consistent sculpt quality. The 2001 Lugosi was quite caricature, bringing Edward G. Robinson to mind. Later, in their early Star Wars years, Trevor Grove was creating less stylised sculpts, but they ended up plastered in paint giving them a hard, doll like quality that was just acceptable for their time.

If Sideshow struggle then smaller companies, especially non-Chinese ones like KP/IP, are likely faced with even more problems assuring production quality. However, what we're seeing with KP/IP's Lugosi is the master paintwork - and the coffin, for instance, appears to differ between the workbench and promo shots. I think it's another indication that we can't trust the photos, because these things invariably look better in hand with our own lighting.

For me they're underselling the figure, even though it's undoubtably going to the best Lugosi barring some disaster. The new images look a lot better on the tablet than blown up on the PC monitor, and the clothing is looking great.

Nanjin Tam wrote a little while ago that he was struggling to find a good photographer to promote his EXO-6 figures, which may actually be the cause of the difference in these Lugosi pictures too. It's a mixed bag of good and not so good sculpt shots, with some depicting that old, hard, shiny paintwork reminiscent of Sideshow's mid 1/6 years (their early Star Wars period). It could be the photographer hitting the head with light from unflattering angles, particularly from the side in that semi-profile shot from yesterday, and from the front in the picture with the disembodied second sculpt.

I skipped their first figure, Bud Spencer, because he wasn't what I wanted, but he turned out really well. That gave me hope for this range from KP/IP, and I eventually preordered John Wayne even though he didn't look as well done, hoping he'll be improved. Clouseau released recently and was giving vintage Sideshow paintwork vibes from the early photos, which improved with later ones. Yet he's still not at Bud Spencer quality.

I think whatever paint they've used since the benchmark Bud isn't camera friendly. I have figures that look great in hand, but are near impossible to photograph accurately, whereas others - usually Hot Toys - you can often just point and click to capture them.

From tomorrow Lugosi is going to be on show at the Lucca Comics & Games convention, so hopefully there will be pictures in different lighting, and maybe a video that will truly show off this figure.

clever way to include two heads and two sets of hands. The alternate head and hands are from the 31 film so you have the choice to do the broadway version or the 31 version.

I disagree with "undoubtedly going to the best Lugosi". It does look good, but to me the SS 1/4 sculpt still beats it.

I still find the ancient 1/6 Sideshow a very good sculpt.
Would like to see a comparison without paint.

Let's hope there are no disasters and he looks even better in person. I must say, the second head sculpt surprised me, and sealed the deal. I had to go for the EX though. i figure, if i am going to get it, I might as well go for the gusto considering this is something I have wanted my entire time collecting, to this level and degree of quality. If anyone ever does The Wolfman to this level of quality (other than Beto, as those are beyond my budget), then I will require a fainting couch.

I think i will get the standard release.. Does Kaustic ship to the U.S.? Though i assume this will be avialble at Sideshow and BBTS soon?

Just not feeling the exclusive on this one. I wish they had gone with either a generic graveyard or stuck to just Dracula or Bela. Combining them really doesn’t work for me. I guess that gives me more purchasing options though. I still really like the coffin so I’ll be doing the deluxe.

I think i will get the standard release.. Does Kaustic ship to the U.S.? Though i assume this will be avialble at Sideshow and BBTS soon?
Unless you want the online exclusive you could wait for Sideshow, I’m sure they’ll have it available before Halloween .

Back