Jazzinc 1/6 Batman 1989 Batmobile

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good exemple of how long and curvy this car is. šŸ˜‰
0A0D31F8-B5E4-4362-94C9-E650307D398C.jpeg

I think Jeff Dunham owns and restored one of these cars from Batman Returns. Wonder if they used it in this Flash movie, or did they build new ones?

Hey Joost, any chance of making the helicopter from Airwolf? [i asked this already in another thread, but i posted it again, in case you didn't see the 1st post].
Flying On My Way GIF by MANGOTEETH

Last edited:
@Joost
After watching a few videos and interviews, I can see this production is headed in a very good direction with regard to accuracy and quality. I'll be pre-ordering the JazzInc 1989 Batmobile soon!

I watched an interview today in which you (Joost) talked about the input coming from fans; I asked myself what improvements or added feature I might suggest, if any- and the answer came almost immediately:

I think there should be an alternate driver's seat-top sculpted, with a deep butt-impression scooped out, so a Batman figure can easily fit inside, even compensating for the height of the cowl ear points. The two seat-tops can be switched and attached with magnets. That would solve a real concern among buyers; not having to guess if Batman will fit, or fear that he or the vehicle might be damaged, but knowing he will fit with a special 'compressed' seat made specifically for the job. Without this simple feature, the figure will sit much too high and won't look natural, and the ear points will be in danger of bending. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting the freedom to display Batman inside the cockpit for extended periods of time, and doing it without risk.
What do you think?

@Joost
After watching a few videos and interviews, I can see this production is headed in a very good direction with regard to accuracy and quality. I'll be pre-ordering the JazzInc 1989 Batmobile soon!

I watched an interview today in which you (Joost) talked about the input coming from fans; I asked myself what improvements or added feature I might suggest, if any- and the answer came almost immediately:

I think there should be an alternate driver's seat-top sculpted, with a deep butt-impression scooped out, so a Batman figure can easily fit inside, even compensating for the height of the cowl ear points. The two seat-tops can be switched and attached with magnets. That would solve a real concern among buyers; not having to guess if Batman will fit, or fear that he or the vehicle might be damaged, but knowing he will fit with a special 'compressed' seat made specifically for the job. Without this simple feature, the figure will sit much too high and won't look natural, and the ear points will be in danger of bending. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting the freedom to display Batman inside the cockpit for extended periods of time, and doing it without risk.
What do you think?
Speaking as an actual buyer, I donā€™t believe there is any basis for concern here. Itā€™s certainly not a concern that I have. IMO, you will do significantly more damage to a dx09 by leaving it in a seated position for an extended period of time, than anything else.

In the past, Joost has made design accommodations to fit figures in, and I see no reason why this vehicle will be any different. Heā€™s a collector himself and he has demonstrated that he both understands the need, and possess the design talent, to correctly seat the figure in the vehicle. The 1989 batwing, for example, was tested with the dx09 to ensure proper fit.

Iā€™m also not sure I understand how anyone can come to the conclusion that the figure wonā€™t fit without any firsthand knowledge of the interior dimensions, or the interior design.

Again, speaking only for myself, your willingness to offer a potential solution (albeit to a non-existent problem IMO) is admirable. That said, if I ever got a seat, removable or otherwise, that looked like a couch with a major butt-print, I would pack it back up and demand a refund as it would fall well short of expectations.

Speaking as an actual buyer, I donā€™t believe there is any basis for concern here. Itā€™s certainly not a concern that I have. IMO, you will do significantly more damage to a dx09 by leaving it in a seated position for an extended period of time, than anything else.

In the past, Joost has made design accommodations to fit figures in, and I see no reason why this vehicle will be any different. Heā€™s a collector himself and he has demonstrated that he both understands the need, and possess the design talent, to correctly seat the figure in the vehicle. The 1989 batwing, for example, was tested with the dx09 to ensure proper fit.

Iā€™m also not sure I understand how anyone can come to the conclusion that the figure wonā€™t fit without any firsthand knowledge of the interior dimensions, or the interior design.

Again, speaking only for myself, your willingness to offer a potential solution (albeit to a non-existent problem IMO) is admirable. That said, if I ever got a seat, removable or otherwise, that looked like a couch with a major butt-print, I would pack it back up and demand a refund as it would fall well short of expectations.
In an interview with Joost, he pointed out the fact that the ear tips of the costume cowl had to be cut off when the driver was seated in the Batmobile for filming. It's also obvious that he is going to great lengths to make the dimensions of the Batmobile film-accurate, and properly scaled to 1:6. If both are true, (and they are) then we could have a slight problem. If the interior dimensions of the vehicle cockpit are faithfully reproduced in 1:6 scale, the ceiling might be low enough to interfere with the ear tips of the cowl- unless a modified seat is designed to lower the figure, simulating the weight of a human pressing down into the cushion.

You made a valid point about potential damage to the rubber Bat-suit caused by bending it into a seated position for any length of time. However, I know one collector who is actually going to buy an extra Hot Toys Batman figure specifically to be used as a 'sacrificial lamb' figure intended for display in the cockpit only. The one factor that makes this situation different from other vehicles that fit figures inside is TALL ear spikes on the costume and a low ceiling in the vehicle.

A special alternate seat cushion would be a modest feature to add; a 3-inch piece of molded plastic. If nothing else, it would realistically simulate a human affected by earth gravity. It's not a big deal; if JazzInc doesn't make it, I will. And by the way, not only am I also speaking as a buyer, I'm speaking as a designer. I've worked for Executive Replicas for eight years. I'm currently working on their 1:6 scale EVA POD from 2001: A Space Odyssey. Fortunately, Dave Bowman will have plenty of headroom inside.

Last edited:
The car might be to scale, but that doesn't mean the DX09 is and you'll have the ear problems. I'm sure it will all be figured out.

In all seriousness, you canā€™t actually believe Joost would sell vehicle one with a requirement to cut the ears off the batman figure. IMO, he was simply making the point that it is sometimes necessary to make alterations in the vehicle design to make up for some of the ā€œmovie magicā€ that isnā€™t always based on actual physics. Again, speaking only for myself, I really donā€™t believe thereā€™s an issue here.

Having to make these adjustments isnā€™t anything new. Watch the videos on the 1966 batmobile or the star wars snowspeeder.

.And by the way, not only am I also speaking as a buyer, I'm speaking as a designer. I've worked for Executive Replicas for eight years. I'm currently working on their 1:6 scale EVA POD from 2001: A Space Odyssey. Fortunately, Dave Bowman will have plenty of headroom inside.

Then you must realize how silly it sounds to propose a seat with a butt print as an engineering solution when one can simply reduce the seat cushion height. It doesnā€™t seem reasonable to me that calculating the radius and designing tooling and moulds around the inconsistent butt of an action figure is particularly cost effective.

No disrespect, but one might propose that until one actually places an order, theyā€™re not a buyer - theyā€™re a potential customer. Just because I might be thinking about going to med school doesnā€™t make me a doctor any more than thinking about buying makes one a buyer. Itā€™s the deliberate act of making the commitment and following through that makes the difference.

Agreed.

I actually have no intention of putting a figure in the vehicle. Iā€™m going to display mine with the canopy open and batman standing close by. I want to show off the interior details and lighting.

The best solution would be a faux ā€œDriver Batmanā€ that is made of plastic that sits in there as a driver.

Canā€™t believe Hot Toys refuses to do this.

The best solution would be a faux ā€œDriver Batmanā€ that is made of plastic that sits in there as a driver.

Agreed, although I'm surprised at the staunch opposition Anthrapoid got to his suggestion - especially for an optional extra that doesn't have to be used. My only argument against it is that it might not work anyway, the DX09 or MMS696 rubber suits may simply not allow a 'deep sit' position.

Not everyone will agree with everyone else, so staunch (but respectful) opposition is not entirely uncommon.

Iā€™m not sure I completely understand the basic premise of putting a black figure in an extremely dimly lit black cockpit with tinted windows, completely closing the canopy, and realistically expecting to see much of the figure inside. Itā€™s the same situation with the HT tumblers and 1989 vehicles.

OTOH, I completely get NOT closing the canopy with a figure inside because then you really have some decent lighting. Seems like a simple, ā€œhey joost, howā€™s batman going to fitā€ question would have done the trick. But, I get that everyone has their own styles.

Being that the canopy on the batwing is clear, thatā€™s a whole different thing, and accommodations have already been made there for figure fitment. Without access to a dx09 already, or purchasing the new version, people are going to have to get creative if they want a pilot in there.

Again, no disrespect to anyone intended. Just another viewpoint.

Fair enough, I agree with what you're saying there. What I was reacting to mainly was where you said this

if I ever got a seat, removable or otherwise, that looked like a couch with a major butt-print, I would pack it back up and demand a refund as it would fall well short of expectations

it seemed like an exaggerated objection to something that, assuming it could be switched for a normal seat, you wouldn't have to use.

Thatā€™s no exaggeration. I actually have expectations for a higher level of engineering solution than that and I understand that everyone may not have the same expectations. I realize itā€™s not an amalgam model, but I donā€™t want to unbox anything that looks like my couch after my mother in law stands up ;)

IMO, itā€™s a moot point anyway. But again, no disrespect to anyone intended.

Agreed, although I'm surprised at the staunch opposition Anthrapoid got to his suggestion - especially for an optional extra that doesn't have to be used. My only argument against it is that it might not work anyway, the DX09 or MMS696 rubber suits may simply not allow a 'deep sit' position.

Yup! That'd be a good solution for those whom wish to have the character in the vehicle, without sacrificing a whole figure, similar to how HT included a Mark 43 bust with the AOU Hulkbuster.

Back