Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay IrishJedi and everybody who else who is going to the movie 5 times to convince themselves that it stands with the classics, you guys are fooling yourselves - this movie is awful and if you love Indy then it should make your heart break - here are some problems, that after you see it for your tenth time you might catch

1) Indy was never in charge. He was either someone else's prisoner, or he
was second banana to Mutt. That's the most unforgiveable sin, riding
backseat to Shia. This is INDIANA FREAKING JONES, the greatest action hero
ever, yet all he ever does now is shout directions to other people? What the
frack was Spielberg thinking? Harrison was the driving force of all three
Indy films. A man of action. Now -- he was totally castrated in this film.

2) I liked Indy being on the outs with the government after the warehouse
theft. Too bad David Koepp caught amensia and forgot to implement that into
the rest of the plot.

3) The skull came into their possession early on. That made no sense
whatsoever. Once they had the skull... what the hell was the movie about?
Take itback to the temple and... uh... see what happens? In the meantimes, your characters look fairly ludicrous carrying around this giant glass prop,
waving it at things and hoping something good happens.

4) Endless exposition. They must've spent a good hour yacking about the
skulls, their history, their legends, and for all of that I still didn't
understand what the ^^^^^ was going on. Think back to Raiders -- one scene,
five minutes long, and you know everything you need to know about the Ark
and it's actually got your spin tingling. Then you get on with it.

5) Marion. She came way too late into the film, making it impossible for
meaningful interaction with Indy. And I hate to say this, but Karen Allen
forgot how to act. She's a pale ghost of the woman in Raiders. Zero spark.
Zero interest in her. Our fondest wish to see her again... just proves be
careful what you wish for. All I saw was a tired former actress suddenly
shoved back into the spotlight with no preparation or memory of what made
her great in Raiders.

6) John Hurt. WTF? He's a crazy dude for 2 hours then magically wakes up to
his old self? What purpose did he possibly serve in this movie??

7) Ray Winstone. He betrays Indy... in the first 10 minutes?? HUH? That was
idiotic. It had no shock value because we hadn't even come to know the guy
at all. That should've been a gotcha saved for the end of the 2nd act.

8) Drab action. I blame this on CG and green screen and general laziness on
Spielberg's part. It never felt real, aside from the motorcycle chase
through the college and that was thoroughly ordinary in every regard.

9) Gophers. 'nuff said.

Spielberg was so hungry and driven on Raiders to make a lean,
mean, action machine, killing himself in the Tunisian desert to get just the
right sunset shot, demanding thousands of more snakes be shipped in to make
the Well of the Souls scene work... and now 20 years later we get freaking
CG ants and gophers.

People will blame this on Lucas because he's the easy target, but this was
Spielberg's mess the whole way through. This was sheer laziness -- from the
asinine script development all the way through to John William's utterly
forgettable and regurgitated score (he re-used the Grail theme? Huh?),
Spielberg was asleep at the wheel everywhere it counted.

And I am glad that Sex and the City beat it at the box office, aferr next week Indy will be gone from the top 3 and as much as it pains me to say it, I will be glad. Raiders was my favorite movie of all time, now 2001 just took its place.

that's exactly what you were doing when you watched this awful dreck

Irish Jedi, you should be ashamed to call yourself an Indy fan, and maybe I will have a Thugee come over to your place and gank all your Indy collectibles because obviously you don't know Indy. You may think you are the A #1 Indy fan here at the freaks, but over at The Raven you are just light weight chump.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Trust me, I'm more than comfortable being a "light weight" among that particular denizen of internetoids. There is hardly a rational, intelligent discussion to be found at that place. A shame, really, because otherwise the site itself is an excellent INDY fansite.

And I am glad that Sex and the City beat it at the box office, aferr next week Indy will be gone from the top 3 and as much as it pains me to say it, I will be glad.

Isn't hindsight supposed to be 20/20? Here we are at Indy's third week, it is still in the top 3, and it beat out Sex and the City in its second week.

I loved it. I only saw it once. I don't care how it ranks with the other Indy movies. I also don't care what some people from some Indy fansite care about this.

Why do people feel the need to come here and go on and on about this?

:horse

Edit: Ok, now I see where you were going with the quote. To which I will add, that Sex and the City was a one-off for drunken housewives to all go to the movies together.

Last edited:
I can't believe this is still going on. :dunno

At this point I don't think anyone really cares anymore. Whether it is positive or negative. Lets move on to Hulk and Batman. :rotfl

I can't believe this is still going on. :dunno

At this point I don't think anyone really cares anymore. Whether it is positive or negative. Lets move on to Hulk and Batman. :rotfl

That's the thing if you're still coming here like the newb above trashing someone or the movie you've taken it TOO seriously. :lol

Take a seat Irish-- Let me field this one.

Okay IrishJedi and everybody who else who is going to the movie 5 times to convince themselves that it stands with the classics, you guys are fooling yourselves - this movie is awful and if you love Indy then it should make your heart break - here are some problems, that after you see it for your tenth time you might catch

I've seen the movie five times now (coincidence?) and I'm not seeing it again and again to try and convince me of something--- I'm going... This might shock you- CAUSE IT'S INDIANA F*^%*(%( JONES and I haven't seen him in almost 20 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and I like the movie.

1) Indy was never in charge. He was either someone else's prisoner, or he was second banana to Mutt. That's the most unforgiveable sin, riding backseat to Shia. This is INDIANA FREAKING JONES, the greatest action hero ever, yet all he ever does now is shout directions to other people? What the frack was Spielberg thinking? Harrison was the driving force of all three Indy films. A man of action. Now -- he was totally castrated in this film.

Indy wasn't in charge when he took on an elite troop of russians and knocked the &(^%( out of them? Indy wasn't in charge when he deciphered the letter leading them to the Crystal Skull? Indy wasn't in charge when he killed one graveyard guard with a poison dart and scared the other one away? Indy wasn't in charge when he led... What's that word again? Oh yes, led Mutt into the catacombs to find the Crystal Skull? Was he second banana to Mutt when Mutt was freaking out about the scorpion?... Just to clarify something which you've undoubtedly missed... This is a 65-year old INDIANA FREAKING JONES... Of course he's not going to be the same, nor should he be. It's almost like you need a younger sidekick who can move forward as the passing of the hat--er torch takes place. Were you this upset when you watched The Last Crusade and saw JAMES FREAKING BOND scare away birds with an umbrella to take down a nazi airplane? It's called character development. If you want the same character doing the same thing every time desite his age, wisdom, and growth, then I'd suggest you stick to the direct to DVD aisle with some Seagal, Van Damme, Snipes, or Berenger...

By the way, if you don't like Indy being someone's prisoner or needing help from someone to escape I'd suggest you stay away from other titles such as Raiders of the Lost Ark (climactic moment tied to a pole---), Temple of Doom (freed from the power of the Kali?... Thanks Goonie kid), and The Last Crusade (Dad. What? Dad. What?)

2) I liked Indy being on the outs with the government after the warehouse theft. Too bad David Koepp caught amensia and forgot to implement that into the rest of the plot.

He gets fired doesn't he?... Isn't he a man who has seemingly lost everything?... (Brody, his father, now his entire academic world)... and then he finds everything (Marion, his son, a new life). Almost like he's reached a point where life stops giving you things and starts taking them away-- or does it?... Wow, almost like there's a theme/moral/message there...:rolleyes:

3) The skull came into their possession early on. That made no sense whatsoever. Once they had the skull... what the hell was the movie about? Take itback to the temple and... uh... see what happens? In the meantimes, your characters look fairly ludicrous carrying around this giant glass prop, waving it at things and hoping something good happens.

Glad they found the Ark at the end of that movie... oh and the Sankara stones at the end of that one as well... and the grail wasn't about the grail-- just as in Sir Thomas Malory's Le Morte D'Arthur the grail quest was an allegorical inner quest. It was the father/son relationship that they were in search for the whole time... Uhm, father/son relationship--- sound familiar?

4) Endless exposition. They must've spent a good hour yacking about the skulls, their history, their legends, and for all of that I still didn't understand what the ^^^^^ was going on. Think back to Raiders -- one scene, five minutes long, and you know everything you need to know about the Ark and it's actually got your spin tingling. Then you get on with it.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm over thirty years old so I actually LIKE when characters have conversations in movies rather than just running from fireballs all the time or tackling an asteroid 'bout the size of Texas Mr. President. But in terms of the Indy films I think you're forgetting about many many many scenes of extended dialogue--- Indy with Marion in the chilly bar, Indy with Sallah, Indy with Belloq, Marion with Belloq, Indy and Marion on the boat... Indy with a Hindu priest, Indy talking with others over monkey brains... It's nice to have action beats roughly every ten minutes in an action movie-- but dialogue and character interaction is good as well, and something that most modern action movies are sadly missing. As far as not understanding what was going on that's going to be a personal thing. I knew practically ZERO about the crystal skulls going into the movie and I followed the plot rather well. After seeing the movie it's made me want to find out more and I have been doing some additional reading and documentary watching as the movie definitely got my interest on the subject.

5) Marion. She came way too late into the film, making it impossible for meaningful interaction with Indy. And I hate to say this, but Karen Allen forgot how to act. She's a pale ghost of the woman in Raiders. Zero spark. Zero interest in her. Our fondest wish to see her again... just proves be careful what you wish for. All I saw was a tired former actress suddenly shoved back into the spotlight with no preparation or memory of what made her great in Raiders.

During RAIDERS she was a young woman at the beginning of her acting career... now at this movie she's a mature woman who hasn't really acted in a looooooooooooooong time and who runs her own business. You expected her to be the same as she was in RAIDERS? I think I know why this movie failed in your eyes-- you went in wanting RAIDERS and nothing else would do. That's too bad.

6) John Hurt. WTF? He's a crazy dude for 2 hours then magically wakes up to his old self? What purpose did he possibly serve in this movie??

Yes, it's almost like the Crystal Skull was using him as a vessel to try and find its way home... Odd how when it got "home" to its body it released him from its hold. The purpose he served is that he was the grail diary, he was the staff of ra... I'm sorry that you missed the logic of his character and why he was released from its grip at the end, but I'd tie that into the difficulty you had following the plot.

7) Ray Winstone. He betrays Indy... in the first 10 minutes?? HUH? That was idiotic. It had no shock value because we hadn't even come to know the guy at all. That should've been a gotcha saved for the end of the 2nd act.

I'll agree that Ray Winstone was a weak point in the movie for me as well-- much like Willie Scott in DOOM. I found the repetition of him screaming "Jonesy" every ten seconds in the final act really annoying. However, having said that a moment ago you wrote that there was too much exposition and backstory chatter and then when they present a character with a very quick backstory (oh, you guys fought in the war together-- you must be tight-- as we discovered in the first five minutes when Mac embarrased Indy with his hands in the air) you want more exposition? He's a throwaway character and he was treated as such--- but remember, it ties into the overall theme of Indy losing everything (wartime friend turns on him--- abandoning him and all that the greatest generation sacrificed for).

8) Drab action. I blame this on CG and green screen and general laziness on Spielberg's part. It never felt real, aside from the motorcycle chase through the college and that was thoroughly ordinary in every regard.

It's the age we live in. It's hard for a storyteller/director to find the proper balance. The alternative is going back to horrendous special effects that look cheesy. Was there too much CGI in the final act?... Yes, I freely admit it. Did it bother me to the extent that I hated the movie? Not at all. I agree 100% that an overabundance or reliance on CGI can damage the potential for a movie-- but that's how movies are seemingly made nowadays-- trust me when I say that I would much have prefered the Star Wars PT movies to have been made with less blue/green screen and more carpentry constructed walls with pompous british actors strutting their stuff a la OT... but, c'est la vie.

9) Gophers. 'nuff said.

The opening PARAMOUNT mountain was the perfect beginning and seeing gophers in the dark as the only witnesses to Indy's escape from the commies-- well, if you let that sour the entire movie for you I can't argue on that point. It was two seconds that for me had no impact on the overall movie.

Spielberg was so hungry and driven on Raiders to make a lean, mean, action machine, killing himself in the Tunisian desert to get just the right sunset shot, demanding thousands of more snakes be shipped in to make the Well of the Souls scene work... and now 20 years later we get freaking CG ants and gophers.

People will blame this on Lucas because he's the easy target, but this was
Spielberg's mess the whole way through. This was sheer laziness -- from the
asinine script development all the way through to John William's utterly
forgettable and regurgitated score (he re-used the Grail theme? Huh?),
Spielberg was asleep at the wheel everywhere it counted.

Spielberg is a different man now than when he made RAIDERS...and I'm really sorry that you were disappointed that you weren't able to see RAIDERS in '08. It seems like that's what you went in expecting to see and as I said earlier that seems to be the driving force behind all of your extreme hate for this good (yes, I used that term) Indy movie.

And I am glad that Sex and the City beat it at the box office, aferr next week Indy will be gone from the top 3 and as much as it pains me to say it, I will be glad. Raiders was my favorite movie of all time, now 2001 just took its place.

1 - Kung Fu Panda Paramount Pictures $60,239,130 $60,239,130

2 - You Don't Mess With the Zohan Sony Pictures Releasing $38,531,374 $38,531,374

3 - Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Paramount Pictures $22,793,630 $253,014,750

4 - Sex and the City New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures Distribution $21,218,305 $99,177,283

5 - The Strangers Universal Pictures Distribution $8,941,970 $37,298,770

6 - Iron Man Paramount Pictures $7,477,439 $288,847,640

7 - The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian Buena Vista Pictures Distribution $5,658,836 $125,977,010

8 - What Happens in Vegas 20th Century Fox Distribution $3,437,801 $72,267,894

9 - Baby Mama Universal Pictures Distribution $806,750 $57,931,215

10 - Made of Honor Sony Pictures Releasing $804,055 $44,689,497

There's the top ten after this weekend. After three weeks Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is still in the top three. In its second week Sex and the City has already fallen to fourth--- I really can't understand your logic of saying that S&TC beat Indy at the box office... Indy's made 2 and 1/2 times MORE than that movie... Hell, Iron Man and Indy both have legs at the box office showing that people actually like seeing them again and again and again...

It's nice to have polite discussion and in our world we need to agree to disagree-- I just had to refute your statements (in a cordial manner) because I'm getting tired of the incessant internet bashing of every new movie that comes out as if it's the hip thing to do.

I respect your opinion. I think it's caca.

:gun

There Irish, I'm done. From now on it's :sleep:sleep:sleep for me too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Just... wow...

Anyways... loved Hurts entrance in the movie. Those sound stick thingies are great!

When's this hitting blu-ray?

I'm over thirty years old so I actually LIKE when characters have conversations in movies

I'm laughing out loud over here!

Yes, it's almost like the Crystal Skull was using him as a vessel to try and find its way home... Odd how when it got "home" to its body it released him from its hold.

If only we can get more bashing in from people who didn't actually watch the movie. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Yes, it's almost like the Crystal Skull was using him as a vessel to try and find its way home... Odd how when it got "home" to its body it released him from its hold.

I couldn't help but notice while watching the movie that the Crystal Skull in their position was almost the Indy version of The One Ring which I thought was kind of cool given that the LOTR novels are from the 50's as well.

Is it wrong to dislike a movie?

Why are people defending the movie against those that don't like it?\

Why are people attacking the people who enjoyed the movie AT THE SAME TIME as they condemn the film?... I have no problem sharing opinions-- that's what makes this site fun-- but I'm tired of reading incessant attacks not only on the film (those I can ignore) but those of use who GASP enjoyed it.

A n y w a y, its still a entertaining flick and like any other movies. It got its up and downs, some would like to see a more serious tone in this movie instead of the olden day's b&w saturday matinee movies.

Indy 5 please!

Back