Compatibility Between Hot Toys Figures and Sideshow Crystal Skull Indy?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monte Williams

Super Freak
Reaction score
Greetings, Fellow Obtainer-of-Rare-Antiquites Enthusiasts!

Many years ago, I put together a lazy kitbash of a grown-up Short Round in the 1:18 scale:

It was just for giggles; I reckoned his hero worship of Doctor Jones would never go away completely, so he might emulate Indiana's wardrobe even as an adult.

For years now, I have wanted to tackle this same idea in the 1/6 scale. I have decided to acquire the Hot Toys G.I. Joe Retaliation Storm Shadow figure and place some Sideshow Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Indy duds on him:

I know the clothes from the Hot Toys Deluxe Indiana Jones figure are higher quality (although I gather the jacket isn't very durable), but I have to save up my hobby funds for two months just to acquire Storm Shadow and Crystal Skull Indy, so I don't want to add $300 or $400 to my total expenditures just to have some nicer looking clothes for Wan Li.

My question, then, is this:

Are the feet compatible? Would I be able to place the Indiana Jones feet on the Storm Shadow figure?

I am also a little anxious about the extent to which the clothes will fit, but the feet are my primary concern.

The only other drawback is that Storm Shadow comes with no bare hands, and the gloves he wears are rather distinctive, and of course they are white. Oh well.

Any information regarding the compatibility of the old Sideshow feet and a modern Hot Toys body would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

Cheers,

Monte

I've never owned the KOTCS Indy, but I had the Raiders Indy which likely used the same shoes, and after heating them up I was able to remove the large pegs and fit the shoes onto a generic body. So pretty sure it'll work with this Storm Shadow one.

My question, then, is this:

Are the feet compatible? Would I be able to place the Indiana Jones feet on the Storm Shadow figure?

I am also a little anxious about the extent to which the clothes will fit, but the feet are my primary concern.

The only other drawback is that Storm Shadow comes with no bare hands, and the gloves he wears are rather distinctive, and of course they are white. Oh well.

Any information regarding the compatibility of the old Sideshow feet and a modern Hot Toys body would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

Cheers,

Monte

RE: SS Indy Feet Compatibility - Yes, the shoes for Indy will fit the Hot Toys ball joints on Storm Shadow. Heat the feat up with a hair dryer and pull the SS pegs out of the feet. Then heat the feet up again and shove the Hot Toys ball joint in there. They'll be nice and snug so no worries of loose joints and you'll still have ankle movement since the Hot Toys joint is a barbell style.

RE: The SS clothes fitting - They should fit. The Storm Shadow body isn't very big. It just has a padded body suit underneath its costume to fill it out more, so just cut that off once you removed the rest of the clothing. If I remember correctly, the SS clothes are a tad big for their base body so you should have some wiggle room there.

RE: The Hands - You should be able to use the SS Indy hands on your custom using the same method as above to remove the feet joints. Remove the SS hand joints by heating them up and pulling them out. Then heat them up again and insert the Hot Toys joints. No need to worry about gloved hands.

I would say, it probably would'be been cheaper for you to just buy the Storm Shadow head separately and one of the more affordable Hot Toys clone bodes unless you got a heck of a deal on the Storm Shadow figure or planing to use the rest of his parts for something else.

Thank you so much, davejames and Gipetto0812! I now feel confident in moving ahead with this long-percolating custom.

I would say, it probably would'be been cheaper for you to just buy the Storm Shadow head separately and one of the more affordable Hot Toys clone bodes unless you got a heck of a deal on the Storm Shadow figure or planing to use the rest of his parts for something else.

Wise counsel, and I thank you for the suggestion. I haven't bought anything yet (not sure how safe or wise it is to have nonessential items shipped from afar during the pandemic), but my thinking is I'd have to get Storm Shadow because I don't know that there are any clone bodies that match his skin tone. The hands present the same issue; indeed, I might pursue the old Sideshow Raiders Indy instead, 'cause he comes with gloves that would at least look right on Wan Li. Problem there is that figure tends to be more expensive than the Crystal Skull Indy.

Thanks again, fellas!

not sure how skilled you are at customizing (not a bash on you, I just don't want to suggest things that could be too much to handle if this is your first custom :wink1:), but if you have a rotary device--something like a Dremel, you can get a good one without the name for about $20 on Amazon-- you could cut the neck off, hollow out some of the inside and insert a neck adapter. Then, buy a Bruce Lee clone from US sellers (something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GangHood-2...658175?hash=item1eccb86fbf:g:sgMAAOSwAr9Zg~Kg). It will most likely match the skin tone and you'll have hands that match the color too.

Or if you don't want to cut the neck, but want something with some texture on the body and not just straight smooth plastic, Worldbox makes good bodies as well like this that will also come with all the hands you need: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-WORLDB...355921?hash=item23d12eba91:g:hHgAAOSwzQFeR4YQ

hope this helps! I love customizing figures and finding out how to make the most of what I got while being cost effective.

Last edited:
Brace yourselves, folks, for a...

Super Exciting Update!

My Sideshow Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Indiana Jones figure has arrived!

...and Storm Shadow is "in transit," but due to Japan shutting down their airmail during the pandemic, it might be four months or longer before I receive him.

Oops! Ha ha...

I have to say, though, that while this Indy figure has not aged well (the head is huge, the body janky as hell, the paint apps positively primitive by today's standards), it's probably my favorite sixth-scale Indiana Jones figure by default; the head sculpts on the Sideshow Temple of Doom and the Hot Toys Indy are both much more disappointing and unforgivable in my book.

Hopefully someday I'll be able to finish this silly kitbash. It'll be a bummer if I wait all these months only to discover that the clothes don't fit.

Congrats. And yeah I bought a Medicom Young Indy from someone in Japan and it's been held up there for the last month. It's just my luck that I would order right before they suspended all shipping to the US. :slap

So I've been wanting to add a good Indiana Jones action figure to my collection for a long time, but I don't really know what's out there in terms of Indy stuff. Any recommendations?

The Hot Toys one would be amazing but I can't afford it, and I saw the Figma one but it looks really meh.

Back