Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're forgetting the opening with Young Indy on the circus train, the awesome fight on the Coronado, and the sidecar motorcycle chase. So I'd say TLC had plenty of fun and memorable action in it.

I definitely didn't want to add that silly train sequence where Indy collected all his "traits"... nor the awkwardly staged fight aboard the Coronado, which to this day still makes no sense how it was choreographed -- how did Indy swing that far away from the ship when it blew? How did the ship not drag Indy down with it?

The motorcycle chase was good though, I give you that.

I suppose it's silly, but I still find it a lot more fun and engaging than most of the action in DOD. And River Phoenix is also really fun to watch during that whole sequence.

And for me it's the music during the Coronado scene that really makes it so damn cool.

I suppose it's silly, but I still find it a lot more fun and engaging than most of the action in DOD. And River Phoenix is also really fun to watch during that whole sequence.

And for me it's the music during the Coronado scene that really makes it so damn cool.

Totally agree on the music. Williams was still in his "prime" for Last Crusade -- new themes, new music, all great.

DoD is total reuse and virtually uninspired. Williams is too old. His music sounds the same for nu-Star Wars, Indy, Harry Potter, Ready Player One, etc.

Williams is too old. His music sounds the same for nu-Star Wars, Indy, Harry Potter, Ready Player One, etc.
Yeah I remember back in 2002 being surprised to hear the exact same music for both 3PO being tossed around the droid factory in AOTC and the Quidditch match in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I know lots of composers borrow from themselves from time to time but those two themes were an absolute exact copy.

Williams has done so much music in his time, its amazing he can think of anything new. I mean, that man is legend.

I've been a devoted fan of his since his music for Poseidon Adventure and Earthquake. Actually, before that even, back when he was Johnny Williams doing Lost in Space -- I was a tot but even then his music stuck with me.

By the time Jaws and Star Wars came along, I was already convinced that anything that had his score in it was the next big thing.

It dragged really bad during the ocean scene.

Really really bad lol

The rest held up.

On first viewing i didn’t like wasting the big dude with a drowning but on repeat viewing it’s pretty brutal what that kid did to him…KID!

Did short round ever drown anyone?
No, but he burnt them with fire!

Williams has done so much music in his time, its amazing he can think of anything new. I mean, that man is legend.

I've been a devoted fan of his since his music for Poseidon Adventure and Earthquake. Actually, before that even, back when he was Johnny Williams doing Lost in Space -- I was a tot but even then his music stuck with me.

By the time Jaws and Star Wars came along, I was already convinced that anything that had his score in it was the next big thing.
:exactly: :lecture :exactly:

Modern JW…

His Rey theme was great!

Matches the classics.

Let me see, what else.

His Rey theme was great!

Last edited:
The old comparison argument is rife at the moment allowing people to justify their love for DUD rather than just judging something for what it is.
So I'll throw something into the ring re TLC vs DUD...
TLC has heart and likable characters with a lot of established history.

This calls out exactly all the reasons I couldn't get into DUD.

Teddy's ability to fly based on that clever plant in his introduction has now topped "Worst Plant" since Malcolm's daughter in Jurassic Park 2 did her gymnastics to thwart the Raptors.

Totally agree on the music. Williams was still in his "prime" for Last Crusade -- new themes, new music, all great.

DoD is total reuse and virtually uninspired. Williams is too old. His music sounds the same for nu-Star Wars, Indy, Harry Potter, Ready Player One, etc.
Williams didn’t do Ready Player One. Alan Silvestri did.

Oh I love that death. I understand your points but I think that was the first time I ever saw a character fall downwards that fast and the camera followed him down. Even the average effects don’t bother me.

Yeah I just looked it up. Jim Cavaziel - when was the last time he had a hit like this? And it’s about sex trafficking.

I often agree with you JAWS but I do not understand how you can put the DOD opening above all of these. They are so unbelievably iconic and technically superior. The bar fight I have studied and studied, it’s one of the greatest action scenes of all time. The framing, the blocking, the split diopter shots, the sound effects, the humor, the whisky, the stunt work. Truly extraordinary.
Oh you are probably right… One is newer than the rest…. That newness gives it the edge…. Ask me again when I have seen it 500 times lol

Just looked up about it.... never heard of the film before half an hour ago. Trailer looks so intense.

Apparently the pay it forward was made of 2.5M, so still pretty amazing for a no-name film in the middle of the summer blockbusters.
Just saw it. Really good movie. Depressing, overwhelming, and frustrating. Sure this film has a “happy ending” of sorts but you are still left with knowing how much of it is going on. :(

Worth the price of admission

Last edited:
No one is going to proclaim DOD a freaking masterpiece.

But like buff said this movie was being trashed beyond repair prior release yet here we are actually praising 70% of it!

How is that even possible lol
The hate I have watched online is pure click bait. Just dumping on it cause that’s what people want to see. Granted Disney brought it on themselves but this was not the film that deserves said hatred.

Yes TLC and DOD have similar highs but TLC has much, much lower lows IMO. I mean it's almost pure cringe to the point of being embarrassing to watch until Connery shows up (and then the cringe at least becomes entertaining.) DOD just feels more "respectable" from beginning to end.
I’ll agree that TLC has lower lows for sure.

But that’s just how great that Tank chase is :lol

Just saw it. Really good movie. Depressing, overwhelming, and frustrating. Sure this film has a “happy ending” of sorts but you are still left with know how much of it is going on. :(

Worth the price of admission

Excellent; something to look forward to (other than Dune 2).

The silliness in LC really does kill it for me. I always hated how Last Crusade had become like a "Roger Moore Bond" movie, it even had a nod to that type of comedy when the old man is trying to change his tire but before he can replace the hub cap, the car rolls away. All he needed to do was a double-take and then guzzle from a bottle of local wine. They saved the double-take for when Indy looks to the pilot in the flaming fuselage. :slap
That sequence is so hilarious 🤣🤣🤣

There’s a couple of people in here who seem hell bent on trying to over explain their hatred for this film… citing the box office bomb, this or that and anything else they can grasp at as to why it’s an abomination.

I saw the film last Thursday, popped in to see precisely what one friend here, a loyal Indy fan, had to think about it, I saw he felt by in large the same as I did and that's really one of the only opinions that I was genuinely curious about

My advice to these couple of fellas who can’t seem to let it go : let it go. This film isn’t winning any awards no one is saying it’s the second coming. But if you put Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark in 2023 that film would suck.

But for what it was in it’s time and place it was of a high caliber.

I’m this day and age dial of destiny is a mediocre film. But it’s a good Indians Jones film.

It wasn’t necessary but it happened. And it’s not trying to change the world, it is what it is. And what it is is a just fine enjoyable Indy outing.

Just chill the hell out. No one is taking away the first three films of you like this you like it if not then that’s all good too.
They want to hate it because of the grudge against Disney, or KK or wokeness or something.

Lots of Youtubers are the same.

No objectivity at all. Tough way to go through life prepared to be outraged all the time.

Back