Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having observed so many attempts to sequelize, reboot, and reimagine every reasonably popular IP under the sun over the years, I have changed my opinion about this somewhat. In times past I would have totally agreed with you. However, good storytelling is good storytelling, and if someone found the right script, the right actors, and the right director to take care of it all I wouldn't be against someone bringing Indy back in some fashion. If they could do what George Miller did with Mad Max or what Villeneuve did with Blade Runner, then that could be awesome.

But the sad reality is that studios don't care about good stories well told, and so we get junk like Dial of Destiny 9/10 times they attempt this. From that perspective I'm in alignment with the opinion that it's better to leave it alone, but there is always a chance. . . Putting that aside, ultimately, they could let Tyler Perry, Paul Feig, and Michael Bay collaborate on the worst Indy excrement imaginable, and it wouldn't hurt my opinion of the first two films if they made. So, power to them to do whatever. They continue to run Star Wars and Marvel into the ground, what makes Indy any more special?
Unfortunately for me, the more they churn out this stuff, the more it tarnishes the franchises I love. Indy, SW, Alien, Predator and now even Bond. I get they are series to expand on, but not using the same sh%&*y toilet brush time after time that actually smells bad.
Wow me with something impressive, or otherwise just flush it away!

I don't have high hopes for that Furiosa prequel though.

And I STILL think Fury Road would have been better if Gibson came back. Though I do think Tom Hardy has matured as an actor since then.
Miller has earned the benefit of the doubt from me, but there is always a risk of going to the well too often.

You may be right about Gibson, as well. A grizzled old Max could have been great. But at the same time, he carries so much personal baggage that I imagine pulling him into a major film as the lead could be challenging for studios. I'm personally able to put all that stuff to the side, but I appreciate that some can't or don't want to.

Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny Was a Massive Box Office Loss for Disney

The report reveals that $79 million of that went to post-production costs and once movie theaters took their share of the sequel's global gross of $384 million, the House of Mouse was left with loss of $134.2 million.
The original Forbes article also states that that loss doesn't include the marketing budget. So that could be easily another $150mil on top of the $134. Could be as much as $300 mil loss.

I guess it was all about the spend: Tron Legacy made about the same amount (albeit over a decade ago, though an era when streaming was not a counterweight on BO) and has a sequel/reboot underway with the same studio.

Hopefully this means the next Indy go-round (Summer 2034, I'm caling it) will be a CG animated movie with that photo-real ROTLA Indy seen in the long opening.

I haven't bought the movie on DVD. Note I didn't say 'yet' in the previous sentence. It feels wrong somehow that I don't want to buy DOD, it's an Indy movie! But hey, it is what it is. I do like KOTCS, but, part of me still wishes they'd left it at the OT. TLC was the perfect place to leave things with everyone living to fight another day.

I haven't bought the movie on DVD. Note I didn't say 'yet' in the previous sentence. It feels wrong somehow that I don't want to buy DOD, it's an Indy movie! But hey, it is what it is. I do like KOTCS, but, part of me still wishes they'd left it at the OT. TLC was the perfect place to leave things with everyone living to fight another day.
Yeah I rewatched TLC - a movie I really didn't like all that much back in the day - last year and really liked it much better The OT really did work for me as a unit finally.

You chose wisely😊
I think it helped to be older (bit of a theme for Indy these days 😬 .) The Henry/Indy stuff played ifor me n a way it didn't at all before. I still think the humor had gotten too silly by TLC - I love the Raiders tone, and TOD still had a mix of that and the silly Shorty/Willie stuff - but I didn't mind it as much because so much more "big story/character" stuff resonated.

3f1.png

It does feel strange to have had a new Indiana Jones movie released that I enjoyed well enough in the theater but that I now have almost zero interest in ever revisiting.

I watched about 20 minutes of it on Disney+ a few months back but just couldn't be bothered to stick it out to the end. I think he'll just forever live in the 80's for me.

There's no part that's good - that's a video game level quality cringe fest.

Geriatric Jones and the DUD of Disney.

Sad... but sort of true. I try to get whatever I can from the drivel they give me.

The only bit I truly love is when Indy jumps onto the motorcycle and fights the Nazi driver, even the music is excellent at that brief moment.

"Best" = "less mediocre/ho-hum/out with a whimper not with a bang"?

... Maybe?

Yes.

Yeah, I can't even get into the prologue. I never see Indy as anything more than a cartoon which he literally is. They could have easily gone the River Phoenix route with that Ingruber guy which would have made the entire opening so much more watchable IMO.

Back