Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not content with just beating Mission Impossible's domestic earnings Sound of Freedom just passed DOD as well.

yoda-star-wars.gif

I've had an HD copy on physical media since August.

I was going to watch it after watching the other four, but after finishing KOTCS I couldn't muster the enthusiasm to re-live the dream.

It wont be for much longer.
I was just in France and their mega retailer FNAC's super stores feel like what the biggest Borders and Barnes & Nobles used to be at their height in the 1990s - in fact maybe larger (versus say the ones I knew in NYC and LA.) And included in that, bizarrely, is disc media. The DVD/Blu section was colossal and burgeoning - no bargain bins or sense of close out that I could see. This was full price and fully stocked with everything from blockbusters to super obscure. It went on and on.

It looked to me (obviously as outsider and brief visitor), super weirdly, that physical media in France is selling today just as well as it always did. Saw this in both Paris and Lyon (second biggest city.) Really wasn't understanding what I was seeing - like France didn't get the "disc is dead" memo. :dunnoNo idea what the market context was, this is all just observation.

It was interesting to see because, amidst the news of major cutbacks and perpetual lack of profitability at all major streamers, I had been starting to get streaming ennui (no, not urological) - that I was kind of bored with and now over the whole "sexy" aspect of streaming.

That it was now a standard, and was ultimately a sort dull diminishment of filmed content. Reduced to a sea of thumbnails, that watching several dozen random 30 second previews and a thumb-numbing scroll through several hundred title postage stamps was now passing for after work entertainment. With the guarantee that if a movie or older show pops into your head, it won't be available on any of the streamers you have.

'memba!? I loved those stores.

'memba Suncoast!? All videos, all movie-making books, all posters and movie merch!!! I would spend hours there.
Yeah my favorite was in LA across from Beverly Center.

There was a sweet spot before all the comfy reading chairs got overwhelmed by homeless people. A bit like LA city hall these days. And well, greater LA generally.

Suncoast I associated with smaller mall-based stores, and more about merch/posters than videos, but yeah they were pretty cool. It was movies at their commercialized peak - when all the "stuff" actually sold and got people excited.

Suncoast I associated with smaller mall-based stores, and more about merch/posters than videos, but yeah they were pretty cool. It was movies at their commercialized peak - when all the "stuff" actually sold and got people excited.

Yeah, there was a great Suncoast inside the Westside Pavilion mall... long ago, before it became Google.

Back